PDA

View Full Version : "Thoughts"

thedrifter
02-10-03, 01:49 PM
The following is from LCPL John Oliver, USMC (now a SSGT) who was in the BLT building on Oct. 23, 1983 when it was bombed and survived the blast:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Thoughts on Oct. 23, 1997
[14 years later]
LCPL John Oliver, USMC

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I would like to thank all those that helped with the rescue efforts of the BLT Headquarters Building. And to all that have helped in everyway to keep the memories alive that the Fallen have or will not be forgotten. I offer this thanks out of gratitude, remorse and guilt. That I did not do all that I could have. That I have not done all that I should have. I shall forever remember that day with sadness and the feeling of loss that can never be replaced. They were not by blood related, but they were my Brothers. My Family. Some I looked up to as a father figure... these were the Leaders. Some I looked to as brothers... these were my closest friends. All were there with me... all were my family. Marines, Sailors and Soldiers alike... we came in Peace, yet went home in pieces. One and all our lives were fragmented in that explosion. Pieces were lost that will never be rejoined. I can only hope that They have found the peace that I and others may never know. Take care and God Bless!

Sempers,

Roger

thedrifter
02-10-03, 01:53 PM
Author Unknown:

I'd give anything to silence those sounds...
the crying out,
the screams,
the choppers,
I hear it as if its happening
now..

Today I woke to the sound of a chopper in flight__
and I was back,
in Beruit again.
All the sounds mixed in...
Then I heard a man crying for his mother
and I started my day
sobbing.

I wonder if he ever made it home to his mother.
I sometimes wonder if anybody got home..
Anybody?
Am I alone?

rnjax2002
02-20-03, 09:54 AM
to SSGT Oliver--I was a Huey crew chief in Beirut during the time of the bombing. I too will never forget those days that followed or the the days before. Most of all I remember my feelings of pride in helping in the little ways we did, but the helplessness of not being able to have done much more for our brothers on the ground and for that I will always feel guilt.--I am truly grateful that you have made it home from there. I wish many more of our brothers had too..

firstsgtmike
02-20-03, 11:11 AM
rnjax2002,

Dump the guilt.

If you could have....... and didn't, then wear it. Otherwise, dump it. It is NOT your load to carry.

Semper Fi

rnjax2002
02-20-03, 03:08 PM
thanks for the words 1st--I did all i could--still hurts

JAMarine
02-20-03, 05:02 PM
What more can you say?

Your a Brother and that's why you hurt.

Glad you came Home Bro.

Cpl Ski USMC
02-22-03, 11:40 PM
I was there. Those of us who weren't in or around BLT did all we could do... we held the line. Every last Marine was ready to charge in to the rescue but there was enough help already there. So, we...

rnjax2002
02-24-03, 09:52 AM
I'm with ya Ski!!