PDA

View Full Version : Division unites generations

thedrifter
02-03-07, 07:34 AM
Division unites generations
February 03,2007
CHRISSY VICK
Daily News Staff

There may be more than 50 years separating Jim Delaney and Cpl. John Clements, but the "Follow Me Division" unites them.

Both were among the crowd that filed into the Goettge Memorial Field House at Camp Lejeune Friday morning during a rededication of the 2nd Marine Division battle colors on the division's 66th anniversary.

Both watched as Marines past and present rededicated 13 battle colors for past sacrifices in various wars and dedicated two new battle colors for the current and ongoing war on terrorism.

Both remembered the bloody battles they had fought in with the other Marines and sailors of 2nd Marine Division - Delaney in World War II and the Korean War and Clements in Operation Iraqi Freedom in the battle for Fallujah.

And they both lost dear friends. They have a hard time talking about those losses and dealing with the memories.

"Being here reminds you of your buddies that were killed," said Delaney, who traveled from New Jersey to Jacksonville for the 2nd Marine Division Association events this week. "You get choked up."

Clements, an active-duty Marine with 1st Battalion, 8th Marines, appreciates his 2ndMarDiv predecessors like Delaney, who served with the shore party of the Pioneer Battalion from 1946 to 1953.

"When I'm out in town, these veterans thank me for what I'm doing," Clements said. "But I just want to thank them because they sacrificed more."

He says his time with 2nd Marine Division taught him camaraderie, and that he feels a brotherhood with the veterans.

"I have so much respect for them," Clements said. "We may have bloodshed, but they were the first to do it."

The yearly 2nd Marine Division ceremony started out small, but this year drew around 300 visitors. And while the number of former Marines has grown, the active-duty number is growing smaller.

There's a reason for it.

"We come every year, and before 9-11 the bleachers (in the field house) were full to the rafters of Marines," said Delaney's wife, Margie. "Now there aren't many."

Sgt. Maj. Michael Jones, of the division's remain-behind element, said the division is in the middle of a full deployment to Al Asad, Iraq. The timing of the 66th anniversary with the Marines and sailors who are getting ready to leave was important for morale, he said.

"The rest of the division is deploying over the next several weeks," Jones said. "And the 2nd Marine Division Association members come out every year. We're able to honor our heritage, and they're able to see and interact with the future of the Corps."

It's a blending of division history - from their involvement at Tarawa in World War II to their current deployment for Operation Iraqi Freedom.

"Being here brings back a lot of memories," said California resident Monte Scott, who served with 2nd Marine Division after joining the Marines in 1949. "I do remember we almost had a riot down at Courthouse Bay because the chow was so bad. And it was segregated back then, which I had never seen growing up in California.

"A lot has changed."

At Friday's ceremony, unity among all who serve their country was important, said Senior Chief Petty Officer Christopher Aldis, the division's commanding master chief.

"Navy hospital corpsman have always been a part of 2nd Marine Division," he said. "We have always been treated with open arms because we serve right alongside of them. With the nation being at war, this ceremony is a big deal."

Jones said the Marines and sailors did an "outstanding job" this week of honoring the veterans who served with 2nd Marine Division and, portraying the division motto "Follow Me" firsthand, carrying on the torch.

"You know what they say," Delaney said. "Once a Marine, always a Marine."

Contact staff writer Chrissy Vick at cvick@freedomenc.com or by calling 353-1171, ext. 239.