PDA

View Full Version : Marine Corps League honors fallen Marine

thedrifter
02-02-07, 09:00 AM
Marine Corps League honors fallen Marine
Fri, Feb 2, 2007

By APRIL BAILEY Staff writer

"I just want to thank you men," said an emotional Neal Dillon to members of the Aiken Marine Corps League Detachment 939 on Thursday. "You've been with us since the first day and I appreciate you to death."

Neal and Lucy Dillon, parents of the late Marine Cpl. Matt Dillon who was killed while serving in Iraq on Dec. 11, 2006, were guests of honor during the league's monthly meeting held Thursday evening.

Both Neal and Lucy thanked the members of the Aiken Marine Corps for their continued support to their family after the loss of their son.

"I just hope that the good Lord continues to bless this detachment and let it grow," Neal said.

Throughout the meeting, Aiken Marine Corps members discussed several tributes to Matt including preparation for an upcoming unveiling ceremony which will be held at 11 a.m. on Feb. 17 to honor Dillon, whose name was recently added to the Aiken County Veterans Memorial Park wall.

"We want people to know that we honor our Marines," said Aiken Marine Corps League Commandant Jim Morris.

Members also approved the proposal to establish a $5,000 scholarship in Matt's name to support future Marines involved in the Young Marines program.

"This is the opportunity to honor a young Marine in every respect," said Morris.

The scholarship will be presented to an outstanding member of the Young Marines who demonstrates qualities like character, honor and dedication – qualities that they say came easily to Matt.

"You guys touch our hearts," said Lucy after hearing of the proposed scholarship. "You raise a child and watch them grow, but I don't think I knew the complete man my son was until he joined the Marines."

"I know you are making him smile and, by helping a young Marine, you're doing what he liked to do best – reach out and help others," said Lucy.

Contact April Bailey at abailey@aikenstandard.com

Ellie