PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts from Dr. Joe:

thedrifter
02-02-07, 08:52 AM
Thoughts from Dr. Joe:
The Cookies That You Sent

By Joe Puglia

Last year I wrote a similar column about Major Rick Crocker and his involvement in Girl Scout cookies for the troops. Since new information has surfaced I find it fitting to re-visit his story.

I met Rick Crocker 15 years ago when he was recruiting for the Marines. After a brief conversation and the exchange of a Semper Fi, ("always faithful") we became kindred spirits.

We were the odd couple. I was 20 years his senior but that hardly kept us from a million adventures together. Rick eventually left active duty to become a cop. He loved the Corps so he stayed in the reserves.

Rick was a man's man with the presence of character to run with the wolves and then put two little girls to sleep with a bedtime story. He was a sweet romancer and midnight dancer with an intellect profound and self-assured. He possessed an endearing demeanor but one knew that, in crisis, he would take command. Rick was an expert in everything he did, and his sense of competency gave assurance to all.

I loved him. But, as I sit and struggle with his memory, I recall how he loved my children. I will forever see him in that light.

Rick Crocker was the classic warrior, straight from the pages of Kipling. I thought him akin to Achilles! He had fought in Panama, Somalia, Desert Storm, and was on his second tour of Iraqi Freedom when his life was extinguished as though someone blew on a candle.

One moment he was rallying the Marines and the next moment he wasn't. Achilles never entered the gates of Troy.

Remember those Girl Scout cookies you brought to the Valley Sun in 2005? I sent many of them to Rick. He wanted as many as I could send. The mission did not die with Rick; so we collected cookies again in 2006 and this is my third year enlisting your support to send Girl Scout cookies to the troops.

In a letter, Rick explained that when on patrol he and his Marines would greet the local Iraqi children with Girl Scout cookies. In addition, the Marines would also distribute toys and school supplies.

Many schools and organizations adopted Rick and his Marines, sending them countless boxes of goodies. The word got out what Rick and the Marines were doing for the local children and many others followed suit.

Rick mentioned that some of the local villagers had warned the Marines of explosive devices planted by insurgents. They told Rick that the reason they came forward with this intel, thus risking their lives, was because of the kindness the Marines showed to the local children. That kindness was partially manifested by the cookies that you sent.

Those Girl Scout cookies were the ice breaker, the conduit that reached across barriers of ideology, culture and faith. That's why Rick wanted all the cookies I could send.

Shortly after his death, I heard from some of the Marines that he had served with. They recalled Major Crocker passing out cookies and treats to Marines on forward positions. Many of those treats that he distributed were the cookies that you sent.

The Girl Scouts are selling cookies. There must be 10,000 little girls making their rounds. This is what I need from you: Please buy an extra box or two, or ten. Bring them to the Valley Sun, 1061 Valley Sun Lane, La Caņada and I'll get them to the troops. If a scout has not reached your home, e-mail me and I will send a scout to sell you cookies. Let's get it done!

If you can't be there with them, this is the next best thing that you can do.

During the 10th year of the siege of Troy when the best warriors were lost, it took Ulysses to take down what the heroes, Achilles, Ajax, and Agamemnon could not. Maybe it's not more weapons, rather more heart, gesture, and ingenuity that can ultimately bring down the walls. Ulysses knew this, ergo the Trojan Horse. I think that Rick knew this too. He tried to capture the hearts and minds with Girl Scout cookies; the cookies that you sent!

I have heard from the battalion surgeon regarding the particulars of Rick's death. Let me share with you what happened:

Rick's Marines had established a defensive position in an abandoned school. While checking the position, and bringing his guys some water, a frantic plea came over the radio to abandon the position and seek cover because an insurgent was preparing to fire a rocket propelled grenade. Rick evacuated all the Marines; he was the last to leave. When the round detonated he used his body as a shield to save the lives of three Marines. He has since been posthumously awarded the Bronze Star.

Contact Joe Puglia via e-mail at captinjoey@yahoo.com, or write him in care of the Valley Sun, P.O. Box 38, La Caņada, CA 91012.

Ellie