PDA

View Full Version : Professor Gives Security Briefings Aboard Stennis

thedrifter
02-02-07, 07:00 AM
Thursday, February 1, 2007
Professor Gives Security Briefings Aboard Stennis

By Lt. Nathan Christensen
Deputy Public Affairs Officer John C. Stennis Carrier Strike Group

While the John C. Stennis Carrier Strike Group (JCSSG) transits west toward the U.S. 5th Fleet area of operation (AOR), Dr. Deborah Wheeler is busy educating Strike Group Sailors and Marines in Middle Eastern culture, diversity and policy.

As part of the Regional Security Education Program (RSEP), the Naval Academy political science professor and three professors from the Naval Postgraduate School (NPS) in Monterey, Calif., delivered briefs to Strike Group personnel on the historical, strategic and political contexts in the AOR.

Wheeler and NPS professors retired Rear Adm. Stephen Loeffler, Mr. James Russell, and Dr. Ahmad Ghoreishi joined the Strike Group in San Diego.

During the transit to the Hawaiian Operating Area, the team delivered more than 100 lectures on 22 different topics to JCSSG personnel which were videotaped for viewing throughout the Strike Group.

''I want to teach where the need is,'' said Wheeler. ''For the men and women in the Strike Group, the need to understand the culture and diversity of Middle Eastern countries is immediately applicable.''

Wheeler is the first Naval Academy professor to participate in the RSEP program since its inception in 2001.

The Regional Security Education Program seeks to raise the situational awareness of deploying naval forces, enhancing force protection and mission performance among Sailors and Marines. Administered by the School of International Graduate Studies at NPS, teams embark in every carrier, expeditionary and surface strike group deploying overseas in war and peace.

The teams typically remain embarked for a week to 10 days conducting briefings, lectures and informal panel discussions related to specific areas in which Navy strike groups and Marine Corps units will operate.

At the Naval Academy, Wheeler teaches Middle Eastern politics, information technology and national security, as well as a capstone course on the Middle East specifically for first class Midshipmen.

''Teaching Midshipmen is the most rewarding thing I have ever done,'' said Wheeler. ''Students that attend my classes are eager to learn because they know their career path will more than likely take them to the Middle East.''

The Naval Academy recently established the Center for Middle East and Islamic Studies as well as adding Arabic as an official major in the language studies department.

''As a professor who specializes in Middle Eastern affairs, I have two options: help be a part of the solution and instruct our future military and political leaders, or stay out of it altogether,'' said Wheeler. ''I’m a patriot and want to help leaders understand what is going on in the Middle East right now.''

Wheeler strives to give her students the necessary tools to analyze the complexities of Middle Eastern politics, a goal she hopes to accomplish aboard USS John C. Stennis (CVN 74) as well.

''I want to help provide the men and women of the Stennis Strike Group with the capacity to analyze what’s going on in the Middle East,'' said Wheeler.

Wheeler’s visit to Stennis is also special because it marks the first time that she has embarked on any naval ship. As a professor at the Naval Academy, this embark enables her to experience what Midshipmen will experience in their very near future.

''The ship is absolutely amazing,'' said Wheeler. ''You simply cannot fathom the intricacies of operations on a ship underway until you experience it for yourself. Not only do I get to teach the men and women on board Stennis real-time and applicable information regarding the deployment, but I get to take back to my Mids an appreciation for what they’ll be doing.''

''I don’t know if I’d ever get used to the jet noise,'' Wheeler joked, ''but the loud noise is certainly representative of our power as a nation.''

The nuclear-powered aircraft carrier, which left its Bremerton, Wash., homeport Jan. 16, joined the guided missile cruiser USS Antietam (CG 54) and guided missile destroyer USS Preble DDG 88 in San Diego after embarking Carrier Air Wing 9 (CVW-9). The guided missile destroyers USS O’Kane (DDG 77) and USS Paul Hamilton (DDG 60), homeported in Pearl Harbor, Hawaii, will join the group in transit and complete the JCSSG.

''I am so very thankful to be able to give back by meeting a need on Stennis,'' said Wheeler. ''It truly gives me a rewarding sense of satisfaction. The Regional Security Education program has allowed me to do just that.''

Stennis and its Strike Group are headed west to provide support for the United States and coalition forces operating in 5th Fleet and conduct Maritime Security Operations (MSO). Coalition forces conduct MSO under international maritime conventions to ensure security and safety in international waters so that all commercial shipping can operate freely while transiting the region.

Ellie