PDA

View Full Version : 'Do something different'

thedrifter
02-01-07, 09:49 AM
'Do something different'
February 1, 2007
The Herald News

Congratulations to Pvt. Amanda Montano of New Lenox who graduated from U.S. Marine Corps Basic Training on Dec. 21 in Parris Island, S.C.

Montano remembers the 4042nd Platoon well. She was assigned to this platoon and participated with sister platoon 4043 in several events such as initial drill, final drill, academics, rifle range, physical fitness training and competition events, winning several events and receiving trophies.

"After graduating from boot camp, I told my parents I wanted to go to Iraq. My mom's reaction was she was in denial and told me I wasn't going to go and my dad's reaction was a little different, kind of a silent understanding," Montano said.

After returning home for a couple of weeks in New Lenox, Montano had the opportunity to work at the Joliet recruiting substation with her recruiters.

"I owe it all to my recruiters, who were there for me when I needed them, and I would like to thank them all for encouraging and supporting me," Montano said.

Montano has enlisted for five years active duty and will begin training for her specialized field of aviation electronics in February after completion of Marine Combat training, which began Jan. 21 and will last 21 days, in Camp Lejuene, N.C.

Her training for Aviation Electronics School will take place in Pensacola, Fla. and 29 Palms, Calif.

"I am looking forward to going to Aviation Electronics School," Montano said.

Montano attended Lincoln-Way High School for three years and later had the opportunity to study outside of the United States. She attended Tranquility Bay Boarding School in Jamaica for nine months and graduated in April. She graduated early from high school on April 10, 2006.

Joining the Marines

After spending several months home after graduating from high school, Montano decided to join the Marines.

Originally, she wanted to join the Air Force. When Montano decided to go down to the recruiting station to join the Air Force, the recruiter wasn't there. But the Marine recruiters were, and they asked her, "Why do you want to join the Air Force? Why not join the Marines?"

So she went in the office and talked to the Marine recruiters for about 20 minutes and decided to join the Marines instead.

Montano plans to make the Marines Corps her career serving and hopes to become an officer.

"I actually thought about joining the Marines for a couple of years. I think one of the biggest reasons I decided to join was because I wanted to do something different for myself. I couldn't picture myself in the classroom for the next four years," Montano said. "My dad gave me the back up I needed, and I knew in the end he was there for me, but I was going to join anyway. Both parents were supportive of my decision but my dad felt a little stronger about it and prouder because he served in the Army."

She's not alone

Montano has two friends serving in the Marines, Brett Popularum and Corey Matteson.

Her dad, Frank Montano, served in the Army for three years. He was stationed for a year at the demilaritized zone in Korea.

Her grandfather, James Wiley, served in the Marines, and her cousin, Charles Henderson, is serving in the U.S. Army and is stationed in Korea for 18 months or longer.

It was a hard road to cross for Montano, but she made it. She is halfway there now. The hardest part, getting through boot camp is over.

I wish her the best and great success in pursuing her future goals.

Know a current or retired soldier who would like to talk about his or her experiences in the U.S. armed forces? Contact Jean Edwards, staff writer at (815) 729-6049 or at jedwards@scn1.com

Ellie