PDA

View Full Version : Question about sign up bonuses in November

CrosshairX
02-01-07, 03:15 AM
Hi guys! I’m new to the forums and just wanted to say hi and ask a question. I singed up for the Marines in November. At the time I didn’t put a lot of though into asking about a sing up bonus. Recently I asked my recruiter if I could have gotten one and he said “No. The time you singed up was at the beginning of the year for us so we were not giving out bonuses.” He told me that the Marines run on a fiscal year that’s why I didn’t get one. I just wanted to know if any of the other Poolees here that sign up in November got a bonus. I am not upset about not getting a bonus. I singed up to be a marine not for the money. Thanks for the help and I hope to use the forums a lot before and after boot camp.

YLDNDN6
02-01-07, 06:33 AM
Crosshair...it sounds like you have a pretty good attitude about the situation...one thing to remember is that the military is just a microcosm of civilian life...policies change, some people get things while others don't, you miss getting some sort of benefit because of dates or some other variable...the important thing is that you will be a US Marine, and that pays dividends throughout your entire life. The sense of pride you will carry with you forever is a far greater thing than getting a few bucks for signing up. I wish you all the best and encourage you to utilize these forums to your advantage in the next couple of weeks...I see you are shipping soon! Good luck!!!

HardJedi
02-01-07, 08:49 AM
if it doesn't matter, why ask? if you get the answer that someone else signed up at the same time you di, and got a bonus, you are just going to start feeling resentment towards your recruiter, and the Marine Corps in general.

also, watch your typing. Marine is always capital.

Good luck!:thumbup:

CrosshairX
02-01-07, 01:11 PM
Thanks for the replys guys. I guess you are right I am not going to worry about it. I just didn't know if he was lying to me. Like I said, I want to be a Marine more that I want money.
I know Marine is always capital. I guess I just forgot to hit the shift key there.

cplbrooks
02-01-07, 06:43 PM
Hi guys! I’m new to the forums and just wanted to say hi and ask a question. I singed up for the Marines in November. At the time I didn’t put a lot of though into asking about a sing up bonus. Recently I asked my recruiter if I could have gotten one and he said “No. The time you singed up was at the beginning of the year for us so we were not giving out bonuses.” He told me that the Marines run on a fiscal year that’s why I didn’t get one. I just wanted to know if any of the other Poolees here that sign up in November got a bonus. I am not upset about not getting a bonus. I singed up to be a marine not for the money. Thanks for the help and I hope to use the forums a lot before and after boot camp.

You may not have qualified for any bonus. It all depends on your asvab scores and what the needs of the Marine Corps are. If you qualified for a bonus your recruiter would have given you one. When are you scheduled to go to boot camp? Are you a grad or senior?

CrosshairX
02-03-07, 07:37 AM
I leave for boot camp on Feb 20th, I just found out yesterday that they had to change it from the 12th. I did go to some college, enough to get me Pfc. right out of boot camp. I don’t remember what my asvab score was, I will ask my recruiter when I see him today.

GrantNick
02-03-07, 10:36 AM
I enlisted in October of last year, scored an 89 on adsvab, and am shipping 12 Feb. I never heard of an enlistment bonus and i'm heading in for infantry so i guess it's just hit and miss.

Achped
02-03-07, 11:32 AM
You may not have qualified for any bonus. It all depends on your asvab scores and what the needs of the Marine Corps are. If you qualified for a bonus your recruiter would have given you one.

Uhh, I got a 137 GT score, 95% on my ASVAB and I'm shipping with nothing. I guess I don't qualify enough... :(

cplbrooks
02-03-07, 01:38 PM
If all you want is a bonus join something else. You will **** away the money and then be stuck in whatever other service sold you on it.

Money can be spent, Pride of being a Marine is forever.

Your bonus is that you get to be a Marine.

Christ0ph
02-03-07, 02:44 PM
If all you want is a bonus join something else. You will **** away the money and then be stuck in whatever other service sold you on it.

Money can be spent, Pride of being a Marine is forever.

Your bonus is that you get to be a Marine.

Exactly. At my first time at MEPS I laughed to myself when I heard all these kids going ARMY because they were offered 15k-25k bonuses...and it seemed that's all they cared about

:sick:

I could care less about any bonus, heck even the pay I would get if I complete bootcamp would be awesome.

SkilletsUSMC
02-03-07, 03:06 PM
I dissagree.

If the kid has a bonus that he rates, then he should do what he can to get it. I know I would be mad to hear that I got screwed out of money I was supposed to have. I love the Marine Corps, but I know every Marine here will start belly aching if they stopped getting a pay check. I know we love our beloved Corps, but it is a paying job too.

Roogger
02-03-07, 04:57 PM
I dissagree.

If the kid has a bonus that he rates, then he should do what he can to get it. I know I would be mad to hear that I got screwed out of money I was supposed to have. I love the Marine Corps, but I know every Marine here will start belly aching if they stopped getting a pay check. I know we love our beloved Corps, but it is a paying job too.

/agreed

Join the Marines because you want to be a Marine, not for the money. BUT if you rate money/bonuses/promotions, at least ask about what is going on.

Another thing to consider is the mos you selected, assuming you picked one. You may have scored well on the asvab but if you choose an mos that doesn't have high qualifications you probably wont rate a bonus as any Marine can do the other ones.

For example if you get a perfect score on the asvab, and want to be a grunt don't expect a bonus. If you pick something that is a little harder to get like intel, aircraft mechanic, or something really specialized then you have a better chance at getting some $$ for you smarts.

**No offense to the 03s but every Marine is a rifleman.

SkilletsUSMC
02-03-07, 05:46 PM
**No offense to the 03s but every Marine is a rifleman.

True, But not everyone is a master of the trade like an 03:D Plus we get to use our rifles more than just for the KD range...

Christ0ph
02-03-07, 06:01 PM
My recruiter told me that they will only tell a poolee if there is a bonus available AFTER they pick their job/field. Which makes sense to me, since that way you don't have people fishing for a bonus and signing up for a job they may or may not want.

POOLEE-REYNOLDS
02-03-07, 08:22 PM
<TABLE id=HB_Mail_Container height="100%" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0 UNSELECTABLE="on"><TBODY><TR height="100%" width="100%" UNSELECTABLE="on"><TD id=HB_Focus_Element vAlign=top width="100%" background="" height=250 UNSELECTABLE="off">When i talked to my recruiter about a bonus he said there was none for the time i signed. As time went on and i am in the dep i have relized why mostly noone gets one, because we are made in to a marine not bought from some extra money we have heart not greed and that what pushes us to become a marine. And I sat down with my recruiter and he showed me how it works and the kids who gets those in the army or what ever doesnt see all of it and it hurts them in taxs so I like where I am sitting and ready to go 2 bootcamp and become something not bought to be something am not. POOLEE REYNOLDS </TD></TR><TR UNSELECTABLE="on" hb_tag="1"><TD style="FONT-SIZE: 1pt" height=1 UNSELECTABLE="on">
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Marine84
02-04-07, 08:44 AM
Yeah, I think I would have been a little ticked off too. They got me for only 3K but I was in for nearly a year before I got it and it was even TAXED for crying out loud! I went in open contract too so I didn't even CHOOSE my MOS but I LOVED the one I got! (IYAOYAS!) . I didn't find out about the money until after my MOS was chosen.

Come to think about it - my Recruiter (SGT (maybe SSGT) Manuel Pierre Beasley - yes! I STILL remember his name!) didn't even HAVE to do a sale job on me - I already HAD my selling point when I darkened his doorway.

cplbrooks
02-04-07, 09:06 AM
most bonuses are given when your re-enlist. Most first time elistment bonuses are given if your recruiting station needs you to ship early or for slower shipping months such as Dec-april.

What the Army doesnt tell you is that their bonuses are there to attract people to a crappy MOS that nobody wants to pick on their own. Once that money is gone that person is stuck doing a job that they might hate.

Achped
02-04-07, 02:40 PM
Corporal Brooks, you're a recruiter now right? Or recruiter-in-training at least?

Why does shipping slow down in the winter months?

cplbrooks
02-04-07, 11:07 PM
It doesnt slow down but it is a different market. Only HS grads are shipping during this time. HS seniors usually ship in the summer after graduation. So you are working taking all HS seniors out of the equation during the winter and spring months.