PDA

View Full Version : Corps to reconsider grooming standards

thedrifter
01-31-07, 02:57 PM
Corps to reconsider grooming standards

By John Hoellwarth - Staff writer
Posted : Wednesday Jan 31, 2007 14:46:17 EST

Recommendations for the first changes to the Marine Corps’ grooming standards in more than 10 years are slated to land on the commandant’s desk no later than Monday, according to a uniform board spokeswoman.

Gen. Robert Magnus, assistant Marine commandant, put his stamp on the possible changes early this week, but nothing is set in stone until Commandant Gen. James Conway signs off. That could happen as early as the first week of February, said uniform board spokeswoman Mary Boyt.

Boyt said command representatives Corps-wide took a survey last October on 36 uniform topics, ranging from handbags and cell phones to chest hair and lipstick.

Command input was sent back to the uniform board in November and sent to working groups in Quantico, Va., to determine the “viability, cost benefit and tradition” of each suggestion, Boyt said.

Ellie

ErikHeiker
02-01-07, 02:30 AM
When I think of grooming standards I think of hair. 3 inches on top and evenly graduated on the sides. That's how I remember them.

FistFu68
02-01-07, 03:18 AM
:evilgrin: OOORAH~'BOUT TIME~HANDLEBAR~MUSTACHE'S 'BAC IN STYLE~GUNGY GRUNT'S ONLY AUTHORIZED TO HAVE THE "STACHE":evilgrin:

YLDNDN6
02-01-07, 05:39 AM
Look Man, I'll shave the chest hair, but you can't have my lipstick!!! And, I wouldn't need the handbag if you would let me put my cell phone in my cargo pockets!!! LOL

Quinbo
02-01-07, 09:07 AM
I recall about 5 years ago the Army going ape over the Army of 1 so everyone gets to wear a berret. The green berets cussed and moaned. The airborn units threw a fit. There were army veterans picketing the white house and writing their congressman to prevent the issue of a beret to every soldier. It was all for not and every soldier now wears a beret.

There was a time when Marines stenciled their name on the back of the utility blouse and the right side cargo pocket of the trousers. We also wore our rank on our covers. A new commandant came in with new ideas and many didn't like it because we are not the Army and don't need no darn name tapes blah blah blah. I myself failed to salute several officers because I was so used to glancing at the cover then looking them in the eye that I failed to notice the rank on their collar, and I did not want name tapes either. The stencil was so you could recover your own clothes back from the ships laundry and I thought that was good enough. I might also add that name tapes made it unnecessary to actually learn other Marines names.

I think Marines should look like Marines but todays Marines don't look like yester years Marines, they are ever evolving. Perish the thought of cell phones and fanny packs in uniform.

bigdog43701
02-01-07, 10:18 AM
bulk...just to add. not only did the army issue berets to all hands they issued the black beret. for years this was a big prize to all RANGERS. it was theirs and no one elses.

as far as Marines. when i fist went in (1970) we all wore straight green utilities. we put the USMC and EGA on our left breat pocket (lord help you if you and a brand new set and wore them without these). we also stenceled our name over the right breast pocket. then we went to inside the collor. then in 1975 the Commandant said he was tired of the Marines looking like the army and got approval to have the Marines begin wearing camo. shortly thereafter the army went to cammo. then the Marines went to name tapes (do not like..now we look like the army) and then most recently the Marines went to digital camo (nice-i like). so whats the army do...they come out with acu's (the army version of digital camo).

the Marines have always had the sharpest uniforms, and always will. the army is trying to look like us (and don't even come close).

montana
02-01-07, 10:19 AM
also remember marines were thinking of a brown beret for 0311 ...but droped that because all marines are first 0311 then second mos for secondery job

SkilletsUSMC
02-01-07, 10:22 AM
:evilgrin: OOORAH~'BOUT TIME~HANDLEBAR~MUSTACHE'S 'BAC IN STYLE~GUNGY GRUNT'S ONLY AUTHORIZED TO HAVE THE "STACHE":evilgrin:

I agree with fist. Its about time a Marine can wear a mustache that look like they are a man, not chester the molester.

Oh yeah... take the stitches out of the 8 point utility cover too.

bigdog43701
02-01-07, 11:09 AM
skillets...side note...in nam Recon Marines wore camo berets (not authorized)

bigdog43701
02-01-07, 11:10 AM
sorry...that should have been addressed to montana

SkilletsUSMC
02-01-07, 11:15 AM
sorry...that should have been addressed to montanaThanks for the clarification, but its still nice to know.:D

drumcorpssnare
02-01-07, 12:12 PM
Hey, this whole grooming issue...Look, if our WM's have chest hair, it's just because they're a tougher breed than the WAC's or WAVE's. If they want to shave their chests, fine. If it shows out the top of their shirt...so what!

And the lipstick and purse thing...isn't that the Navy?

Cell phones??? I'll take the old WW II "walkie-talkie" any day!

:banana: :banana: :banana:
drumcorpssnare

mrbsox
02-01-07, 12:19 PM
Oh yeah... take the stitches out of the 8 point utility cover too.

No Way !!

I think the eight point is CLASSIC MARINE. Across the way, in photos, in sillouette, you CAN TELL a Marines COVER. :usmc:

IT AIN'T A FkN HAT !! :iwo:

Besides, ever try to starch a 'ball cap' ?? :banana:

SkilletsUSMC
02-01-07, 12:40 PM
You must not be familar with the NEW 8 point covers. Im not talking about the vertical stitches, I am talking about the stitches that run arround the perimiter of the cover.

killerinstinct
02-01-07, 12:54 PM
yea i hate those sticthes when they came out.. One thing i prided myself was to have the best ironed formed cover w/o friggin stitches. but came a time when my cover was out of service and i bought one w/ stictches . bothers me

SkilletsUSMC
02-01-07, 01:01 PM
yea i hate those sticthes when they came out.. One thing i prided myself was to have the best ironed formed cover w/o friggin stitches. but came a time when my cover was out of service and i bought one w/ stictches . bothers me

I pulled the stitches out of one of mine, and I ironed and starched it for fun. I really like it, and Im tempted to wear it to work for a day and see what reaction I get.:no:

Sgt Leprechaun
02-01-07, 03:56 PM
I wonder if they'll let me grow a handlbar 'stache?

I'll keep my high n tight...but would love to do that.

Every Commandant has his own 'way'. I remember wearing ERDL pattern cammies, white T shirts, and the like. And, putting the rank on the cammie cover, then taking it OFF the cammie cover.

FistFu68
02-01-07, 04:26 PM
:evilgrin: HELL THEM ARMY RANGER'S CHIT,(LMAO)FOR AN I.G INSPECTION;THEY THOUGHT THEY WERE GONNA CATCH THIS "MARINE SLOPPY"FOR THEIR VERSION OF JUNK ON A BUNK~I HAD A (SPECIAL)PAIR OF SKIVVIE'S~STARCHED LIKE A PIECE OF MARINE STEEL!!!FULL METAL JACKET~(LMFAO)10/FOUUUUUUU:iwo: S/F THAT:thumbup:

ggyoung
02-01-07, 05:21 PM
FISTFU68______--I remember in 1965-66 when we happened to catch VC or 2 or 3 Then call for the 0200's to come up. They had shaved there heads and had big handlbare mustache's it just scard the crap out os them VC's. It was funney to watch there faces when the 02's got them.

mrbsox
02-01-07, 05:22 PM
You must not be familar with the NEW 8 point covers. Im not talking about the vertical stitches, I am talking about the stitches that run arround the perimiter of the cover.

Didn't think you starched the MARPAT covers. Think I recall seeing some kind of insert for keeping the "8" in shape. Has a row of stitches from fore to aft, and port to starboard as well as around the perimeter.

I DO like the stiched in emblem, but STARCH is .... just so....

MARINE:flag:

I keep an 'OLD CORPS' Sateen cover starched and standing by. Wear it from time to time. Finally found a 'TRU-SHAPE' and cover block awhile back.

The C.O. just shook her head and walked off, as i was standing there, paint brush in hand, and GRIN from ear to ear.:D

Quinbo
02-28-07, 09:42 AM
Hey, this whole grooming issue...Look, if our WM's have chest hair, it's just because they're a tougher breed than the WAC's or WAVE's. If they want to shave their chests, fine. If it shows out the top of their shirt...so what!
:banana: :banana: :banana:
drumcorpssnare

Brought to mind an old cadance ....

They say that in the Marine Corps the coffee is mighty fine
It looks like muddy water and tastes like turpentine
U.A. I wanna go ... but they won't let me go

They say that in the Marine Corps the women are mighty fine
They look like Phyllis Dillar and walk like Frankenstein
U.A. I wanna go .... but they won't let me go.

There are many other verses but those came to mind.
Chicks with chest hair need to go join the russian swim team.

JinxJr
02-28-07, 10:02 AM
I'd love to get my hands on an old sateen cover but just can't seem to find 'em anywhere. The only stitching I recall was across the top of just the front panel. I was never crazy about the cammies...guess it was probably a case of withdrawls. The first batch had a very short life span ... the darn things fell apart.

kentmitchell
03-01-07, 03:40 PM
They never should have done away with herringbone twill utilities, leggings and boondockers.
When a Chinese sees those leggings he runs like hell.

WanderWannabe
03-01-07, 03:45 PM
Speaking of chest hair...I was pulled aside by my recruit company commander and gently "reminded" that men's chests shouldn't look like bath mats. He also asked if Austin Powers was my father.