PDA

View Full Version : I love this quote!

outlaw3179
01-31-07, 09:56 AM
"Son, we live in a world that has walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with guns. Whose gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinburg? I have a greater responsibility than you could possibly fathom. You weep for Santiago, and you curse the Marines. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know. That Santiago's death, while tragic, probably saved lives. And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, saves lives. You don't want the truth because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that wall, you need me on that wall. We use words like honor, code, loyalty. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punchline. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said thank you, and went on your way, Otherwise, I suggest you pick up a weapon, and stand a post. Either way, I don't give a damn what you think you are entitled to…."

Col. Nathan Jessup Unites States Marine Corps.

Now I know its from a movie and and there really is no Nathan Jessup but I still love this quote and it say exactly what I want to say to all the peacemongers out there . Semper Fi Marines.

lucien2
01-31-07, 10:11 AM
OOh friggin' Rah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

maverickmarine
01-31-07, 10:18 AM
Amen brother

drumcorpssnare
01-31-07, 11:42 AM
"...the truth?......YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE TRUTH!"

Ah yes, Jack Nicholson. A Few Good Men.

I think with the right make-up, and wardrobe prop (to achieve the 'barrel-chest) Jack would do a fine portrayal of Lt. Gen. Lewis B. "Chesty" Puller!

OOoorah!:iwo:
drumcorpssnare:usmc:

devilman
01-31-07, 12:01 PM
:flag: Old breed? New breed? There's not a damn bit of difference so long as it's the Marine breed. :evilgrin: Chesty Puller, USMC

.....This says it all. Straight from "THEE" Marine's Ultimate MARINE.

SEMPER FIDELIS:usmc:

HardJedi
01-31-07, 12:27 PM
great quote, horrible movie.

gwladgarwr
01-31-07, 12:33 PM
"Son, we live in a world that has walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with guns. Whose gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinburg? I have a greater responsibility than you could possibly fathom. You weep for Santiago, and you curse the Marines. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know. That Santiago's death, while tragic, probably saved lives. And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, saves lives. You don't want the truth because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that wall, you need me on that wall. We use words like honor, code, loyalty. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punchline. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said thank you, and went on your way, Otherwise, I suggest you pick up a weapon, and stand a post. Either way, I don't give a damn what you think you are entitled to…."

Col. Nathan Jessup Unites States Marine Corps.

Now I know its from a movie and and there really is no Nathan Jessup but I still love this quote and it say exactly what I want to say to all the peacemongers out there . Semper Fi Marines.

This whole monologue is so true and applies to real life.

However, just remember what Col Jessup was trying to justify - unjustifiable murder. He was silencing someone who was going to 'rat out' some wrong-doers and tried to hide behind the shield of patriotism. His deal was 'patriotism gone awry'.

Otherwise, Col Jessup was correct - Marines (and all service members) live these ideals while others bat them around as cocktail party banter.:flag: