View Full Version : Marines Have High Standards For NU Recruits

thedrifter
01-31-07, 08:11 AM
Marines Have High Standards For NU Recruits
Liz Coffin-Karlin
Posted: 1/31/07
By Liz Coffin-Karlin
The Daily Northwestern

Marine Corps officers Michael Kaniuk, David Diaz and Julius Miles spent three hours in Norris University Center Tuesday, looking for qualified students to apply for their officer training program.

Even though only five or six people showed a serious interest in the course - with two interviewing on the spot and one taking home an application - the team wasn't dissuaded by the turnout.

They said they're only interested in the most serious and highly qualified applicants for their competitive Platoon Leaders Course.

"I don't consider myself a recruiter," Capt. Kaniuk said. "I'm just an information source."

The Platoon Leaders Course gives participants an idea of what it takes to be a Marine Corps officer and allows them to showcase their personal leadership abilities, said Master Sgt. Diaz, an officer selection assistant for the last three years. After participating in two summer programs, students might be offered a commission - an officer position in the Marine Corps - which they can decide to accept or decline.

Participants make no commitment to the military during this program, but if they accept tuition assistance, which ranges from $8,000 to $25,000, then they must either accept their commission or commit to repaying the money.

The local Officer Selection Team's primary job is to get word of the program out on campuses to draw qualified applicants, Diaz said.

The program requires applicants to be enrolled undergraduates with a minimum SAT score of 1,000 or ACT score of 22, as well as a 2.0 GPA. To qualify, students must also be citizens of the U.S. and pass a physical fitness test.

Diaz said there are also medical and moral qualifications for the applicants: They must have a record free of repeated run-ins with the police, drug use or long-term illness that could compromise military service.

Kaniuk is the selection officer for Chicago and sends the applications to superiors for evaluation. He writes a recommendation about each applicant.

"If they're showing me they've got physical courage, moral courage, integrity … that's going to affect what I write," Kaniuk said.

The Marine Corps representatives come to campus through University Career Services. They also come to the university career and employment fairs run out of that office.

"(Military representatives) enjoy coming here and meeting our students, and they feel that there's enough of an interest to keep coming back," said Dianne Siekmann, associate director of career services.

Kaniuk's team travels to schools throughout northern Illinois and into northwest Indiana distributing information about the course, as well as conducting interviews with candidates.

"It's not a very well known program, which is why we're out on campuses as much as we are," Diaz said.

Reach Liz Coffin-Karlin at e-coffin-karlin@northwestern.edu.

Ellie

Achped
01-31-07, 02:00 PM
If only I had waited :(

No biggy though, I guess I'll get more respect as a 2nd Lt. with 4 years of infantry duty under my belt than some green 22 year old leading Marines in combat.

Barret
01-31-07, 06:45 PM
Thanks, I know this is a site filled with mostly enlisted Marines/wannabes, but I'm glad to see an article that deals with what I'm looking forward to doing.

:thumbup:

hawks
01-31-07, 08:18 PM
If only I had waited :(

No biggy though, I guess I'll get more respect as a 2nd Lt. with 4 years of infantry duty under my belt than some green 22 year old leading Marines in combat.
You got a long road ahead of you to be worried about respect as a 2nd Lt. after 4 years of infantry.

But yah, PLC does look great. I'm a junior in college now, I was thinking of doing but would rather take the enlisted route and then once I get back from MCRD apply to PLC right away

Echo_Four_Bravo
01-31-07, 10:15 PM
Hawks, that would be the worst possible decision you could make. If you're going to have a degree and you want to be an officer, don't mess around. You can always apply when you're enlisted, but there is a good chance that you won't be accepted. Talk to the OSO and handle your business.

hawks
01-31-07, 10:19 PM
Hawks, that would be the worst possible decision you could make. If you're going to have a degree and you want to be an officer, don't mess around. You can always apply when you're enlisted, but there is a good chance that you won't be accepted. Talk to the OSO and handle your business.
My OSO is former enlisted and what I got from him is that it is better to lead when you know what your leading, when you've been in their shoes. I'm not 100% on officer yet, but am on enlisted. I think that if I do enlisted and not like it as much I'll stay enlisted rather then trying officer.