PDA

View Full Version : dust storms

FREDDY
02-08-03, 11:59 AM
who can tell me what the raghe### call dust or sand storms for the life of me I can't remember "allya akbar" yea right forget that stupid saying help me if you can bro's.:chinese:

Rob Parry
02-08-03, 01:08 PM
Here's a couple freddy, 'Haboob' and 'Khamsin', the Khamsin is a wind experienced during Spring.
Allah Wakbar, (or other spellings) isn't stupid, repetitive, but not stupid. It means 'God is Great'. Hope this helps.

vance
02-08-03, 02:24 PM
In North Africa the dust storm was called the Ghibli.

Rob Parry
02-08-03, 02:31 PM
Just remembered that small dust devils were known as 'willy, willy'.

Earle Comstock
02-08-03, 06:47 PM
I don't know what they call them , but last night I met a Navy medical personal who was in the gulf war . Told me alot of interesting things about the gulf war that I was ignorant of .
Told me how the Apache couldn't take off in the sand , because of the blades kicking up sand into the engines and they crashed into the sand nose first . After they crashed they would pull out all the computer sh it out of them and anything else of value out of them . Then blow them up where they landed . He was the guy in the helicopter that let the lifeline down to pick up troops or drop them to the ground . If they had to medi-vac someone out , they would fly them to the closest med unit and go for the next one .
Said he didnt really do alot but ride around , and the normal hurry up and wait .
Said the A1Abrams would get clogged up with sand and shut down . Said they could go about 25 miles and have to change filters . Same with the Hum v's . They tried all kind of contraptions to filter the air , and nothing seemed to work . Said that the desert was just full of spent filters . This is something that is logical , just something I never thought of .
He did say though that the worst thing were the camels . He said those fvckers can spit a bullseye about 50 feet away . I knew LLamas could spit , but I didn't know camels did . Told me he thought he was in pretty good shape til he started fvcking camels , said it wasn't so bad from behind , but that running back and forth to kiss them wore him out .
I had some very interesting conversation with him , very informative .

Marine-of-1861
02-09-03, 09:23 AM
than the Air Force the Navy and the army did In the Gulf War.
Our Super Cobras gunships out did the apache in the desert terrain .......In all phases of that war, FACT.

SEMPER FI !
;)