PDA

View Full Version : Our current Marines rate their Fav weapons

booksbenji
01-23-07, 03:52 PM
It has been correct since WE DO NOT ADVERTISE OTHER SITES

Ellie

you will be surprised. 'Nam rising again: 7.62 saw all, shot gun, M-14, .50 Barrert, M-24 sniper:
Their's least fav is the M-16 and 9mike mike:devious:

How Marines Feel About Their Gear
January 23, 2007

1) The M-16 rifle: Thumbs down. Chronic jamming problems with the talcum powder-like sand over there. The M-4 carbine version is more popular because it's lighter and shorter, but it has jamming problems also. Marines like the ability to mount the various optical gunsights and weapons lights on the picattiny rails, but the weapon itself is not great in a desert environment. They all hate the 5.56mm (.223) round because of its poor penetration on the cinderblock structures common over there. Even torso hits can't be reliably counted on to put the enemy down.

2) The M243 SAW (squad assault weapon), .223 cal. Drum-fed light machine gun: Big thumbs down. Universally considered a piece of junk. Chronic jamming problems, most of which require partial disassembly (not fun in the middle of a firefight).

3) The M9 Beretta 9mm: Thumbs neutral. Good gun, performs well in desert environment; but Marines don’t like the 9mm cartridge. The use of handguns for self-defense is actually fairly common. Same old story on the 9mm: They’ve seen bad guys hit multiple times but continue to fight.

4) Mossberg 12ga. Military shotgun: Thumbs up. The Marines use this weapon frequently for clearing houses with good effect.

5) The M240 Machine Gun: 7.62 Nato (.308) cal. belt fed machine gun, developed to replace the old M-60: Thumbs up. Accurate, reliable, and the 7.62 round puts 'em down. Originally developed as a vehicle mounted weapon, more and more are being dismounted and taken into the field by infantry. The 7.62 round chews up the structure over there.

6) The M2 .50 cal heavy machine gun: Thumbs way, way up. "Ma deuce" is still worth her considerable weight in gold. The ultimate fight stopper, and the most coveted weapon in theater.

7) The .45 pistol: Thumbs up. Still the best pistol round out there. Everybody who is authorized to carry a sidearm is trying to get his hands on one. With few exceptions, this weapon can reliably be expected to drop the enemy with a torso hit. The special ops guys (who are doing most of the pistol work) use the HK military model and supposedly love it. The old government model .45's are being re-issued en masse.

8) The M-14: Thumbs up. They are being re-issued in bulk, mostly in a modified version to special ops guys. Modifications include lightweight Kevlar stocks and low power red dot or ACOG sights. Very reliable in the sandy environment, and grunts love the 7.62 round.

9) The Barrett .50 cal sniper rifle: Thumbs way up. Spectacular range and accuracy, and hits like a freight train. Used frequently to take out vehicle suicide bombers (they’re actually stopping a lot of them) and barricaded enemy. Definitely here to stay.

10) The M24 sniper rifle: Thumbs up. A heavily modified Remington 700. Great performance. Snipers have been using heavily with great effect. Rumor has it that a Marine sniper on his third tour in Anbar province has actually exceeded Carlos Hathcock's record with over 100 confirmed kills.

11) The newer body armor: Thumbs up. Relatively light at approx. 6 lbs.and can reliably be expected to soak up small shrapnel and even will stop an AK-47 round. The bad news: Hot as hell to wear, almost unbearable in the summer heat (which averages over 120 degrees). Also, the enemy now goes for head shots whenever possible. All the B.S. about the "old" body armor making our guys vulnerable to the IED's was a non-starter. The IED explosions are enormous and body armor doesn't make any difference at all in most cases.

12) Night Vision and Infrared Equipment: Thumbs way up. Spectacular performance. Our guys see in the dark and own the night, period. Very little enemy action after evening prayers. More and more enemy being whacked at night during movement by our hunter-killer teams. We've all seen the videos.

13) Lights: Thumbs up. Most of the weapon mounted and personal lights are Surefire's, and the troops love them. Invaluable for night urban operations.

SkilletsUSMC
01-23-07, 04:48 PM
1) The M-16 rifle: Thumbs down. Chronic jamming problems with the talcum powder-like sand over there. The M-4 carbine version is more popular because it's lighter and shorter, but it has jamming problems also. Marines like the ability to mount the various optical gunsights and weapons lights on the picattiny rails, but the weapon itself is not great in a desert environment. They all hate the 5.56mm (.223) round because of its poor penetration on the cinderblock structures common over there. Even torso hits can't be reliably counted on to put the enemy down.

Mine didnt jam that bad... But a heavier round (6.8 SPC) would be nice.

2) The M243 SAW (squad assault weapon), .223 cal. Drum-fed light machine gun: Big thumbs down. Universally considered a piece of junk. Chronic jamming problems, most of which require partial disassembly (not fun in the middle of a firefight).

Total junk... I ****ing hate the SAW.

8) The M-14: Thumbs up. They are being re-issued in bulk, mostly in a modified version to special ops guys. Modifications include lightweight Kevlar stocks and low power red dot or ACOG sights. Very reliable in the sandy environment, and grunts love the 7.62 round.

A shorter carbine version is availible, and Id be happy to hump the extra weight...

11) The newer body armor: Thumbs up. Relatively light at approx. 6 lbs.and can reliably be expected to soak up small shrapnel and even will stop an AK-47 round. The bad news: Hot as hell to wear, almost unbearable in the summer heat (which averages over 120 degrees). Also, the enemy now goes for head shots whenever possible. All the B.S. about the "old" body armor making our guys vulnerable to the IED's was a non-starter. The IED explosions are enormous and body armor doesn't make any difference at all in most cases.

eSAPI... Its a Love/Hate relationship. They stop 7.62x54R armor peircing rounds. Ive seen it first hand. But sometimes I wish I could go slick so I could move faster and not get shot at all!!!

12) Night Vision and Infrared Equipment: Thumbs way up. Spectacular performance. Our guys see in the dark and own the night, period. Very little enemy action after evening prayers. More and more enemy being whacked at night during movement by our hunter-killer teams. We've all seen the videos.

The Marine Corps needs AN/PVS 14's for EVERY Marine!!! AN/PVS 7 Bravos Suck. We also need lighter Infared aiming lasers that the trusty, but cumbersome PEQ-2s

SkilletsUSMC
01-23-07, 05:02 PM
1) The M-16 rifle: Thumbs down. Chronic jamming problems with the talcum powder-like sand over there.

The solution is actually little to no CLP... carry a rag and paint brush with you and crack it open when you have down time and wipe off the "skis" on the bolt carrier, and inside of the rupper reciever. Wipeing the spring and buffer helps more than one would think too.

Sfl
01-23-07, 06:53 PM
[quote=booksbenji]It has been correct since WE DO NOT ADVERTISE OTHER SITES

Ellie

you will be surprised. 'Nam rising again: 7.62 saw all, shot gun, M-14, .50 Barrert, M-24 sniper:
Their's least fav is the M-16 and 9mike mike:devious:

How Marines Feel About Their Gear
January 23, 2007

****ty batch of 16's or what? Did not have any problems with mine as long as you give it a little TLC for a few minutes.

M243? Chronic jamming problems? Oh fiddlesticks

3) The M9 Beretta 9mm: Thumbs neutral. Good gun, performs well in desert environment; but Marines don’t like the 9mm cartridge. The use of handguns for self-defense is actually fairly common. Same old story on the 9mm: They’ve seen bad guys hit multiple times but continue to fight.

Give me a 1911 over that POS anyday.

4) Mossberg 12ga. Military shotgun: Thumbs up. The Marines use this weapon frequently for clearing houses with good effect.

Used the mossy a few times, its a shotgun what can you say =)

9) The Barrett .50 cal sniper rifle: Thumbs way up. Spectacular range and accuracy, and hits like a freight train. Used frequently to take out vehicle suicide bombers (they’re actually stopping a lot of them) and barricaded enemy. Definitely here to stay.

An incredible phychological weapon...hit and split

6 pounds? Uh?

ggyoung
01-30-07, 11:14 AM
7.62x51 is the only way to go.

The1stSgt
01-30-07, 11:54 AM
I was in during the Viet Nam era, and the M-14 and M-60 were the big two back then, until the M-16 superseded the M-14 (bad move). Both used 1he .308 Winchester (7.62x51mm) round with great effect, as does the M-40 sniper rifle.

I still don't understand the rationale for the .223 Remington (5.56mm) becoming the new US military small arms round. Anyone got an answer for that, I'd like to hear it.

Then the combat proven .45 ACP was replaced with the 9mm (again, bad move).

The Marine Corps' assault rifle and machine gun should be .30 cal (7.62mm), and the pistol should be either a .40 cal S&W or .45 ACP. Those will get the job done right now.

I was told once, when a government decision doesn't make any logical rational sense, then there's a dollar in for someone.

My two cents.

jryanjack
01-30-07, 12:15 PM
I had heard that the reasoning for the 9mm was to standardize US and NATO sidearm ammo - but I'm not sure that's accurate.

Quinbo
01-30-07, 12:32 PM
It has been doctorine for quite a while that a round that can stop an enemy soldier from shooting back at you, and hurt him really really bad is better than one that puts an enemy soldier out of the fight forever...

The idea is that a casualty producing round causes your enemy to loose two other soldiers and a corpsman from the fight .... he's not shooting back at you if he is trying to save his buddy.

A case of 5.56 rounds weighs less than half of a case of 7.62 rounds .... somebody has to carry that stuff.

montana
01-30-07, 01:15 PM
bulkyer
we did carry those rounds
id rather pack a few extra lb...of stoppin power the less lb of jammin maybe stoppin power.
14 did that every time...and even a water buffalow that the 16s were only makin even madder.

FistFu68
01-30-07, 01:38 PM
:evilgrin: SCUTTLE-BUTT I HEARD WAS?BECAUSE WOMEN WOULD BE JOINING THE RANK'S AT AN ALARMING RATE.THE 9MM.WAS ADOPTED,AND MORE M-16'S!!!FIGURED THEY COULDN'T HANDLE THE M-14'S,OR THE 1911'S!!! BEFORE YOU (G.I JANE'S),GO NUT'S DIRECT IT; AT NOT ME. BUT THE DEPARTMENT OF DEFENSE!S/F:D

ggyoung
01-30-07, 01:59 PM
The1stsgt.=============The Johnson familey as in LBJ at that time had a lot of stock in Colt.=========================================== Bulkyker-----In the last 100 years the enemy we have faced (this does not incloud the Germens) have not given a damn about it's wounded. They will try to get there wounded and dead out after the fighting was over.+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +++++++++montana=How right you are.

USMCmailman
01-30-07, 02:29 PM
I traded my M-16 to an RVN officer for an M-14 at Camp Carrol in 1968. My sargent was ****ed but only because I did it before him!!!!!!!!!!

SSgt Blue
04-30-07, 03:28 PM
#1, I loved my Ma Duce, throw some slap rounds in it and you can shoot through about anything and hit just about anything with in 2000 meters if your good with it.If you need the extra punch, mix some ball rounds and mow down anything
It will be hear to stay.

#2, The Gulf, 7.62, almost 1000 rounds per min. very accurate, and easy to field strip and clean, what more do I need to say…. I love it

#3, The m249. Biggest POS out there. It a 5.56 and it has to many part that jam….

Happiness is a bet fed weapon and more ammo that you can shoot, Gunz up 0331's
<O:p</O:p
#4, A Radio that works for the FUBAR factor…..

Zulu 36
04-30-07, 04:13 PM
I had heard that the reasoning for the 9mm was to standardize US and NATO sidearm ammo - but I'm not sure that's accurate.

Yes, that was one of the prime movers for the change. 7.62mm was NATO standard too primarily because the US forced the designation as also happened with the 5.56mm.

Changing to 9mm was sort of the US making up for the two rifle caliber strong arm deals.