PDA

View Full Version : Woman recruit is gung-ho about the Marines

thedrifter
01-22-07, 02:02 PM
Woman recruit is gung-ho about the Marines

By Nancy Mace The Record Herald

WAYNESBORO - Envision the typical Marine Corps recruit, and a diminutive 5-foot, 2-inch young woman is not likely the picture that comes to your mind.

But 18-year-old Ashley Malinosky leaves Jan. 29 for 13 weeks of boot camp at the Marine Corps base in Parris Island, S.C.

She likes hands-on hard work and figures she'll find plenty of it serving in the U.S. Marines.

The Marines are always looking for “a few good men,” according to their recruiting slogan.

Just one in 20 Marine recruits is female, according to Sgt. David Adams, U.S. Marine Corps recruiter.

“It's not something we see all the time, especially in the case of Ashley. She really has a spirit about her, a sense of direction about what she wants to do with her life,” Adams said.

“Ashley came in on her own. She wants to be a Marine,” he added.

“I've wanted to be in the military my whole life,” said Malinosky, who noted the 13 weeks of training is almost double that required of other branches of the military.

“On my placement test, I qualified for a lot of jobs, but I'm too short for most of them,” added Malinosky, a 2006 graduate of Waynesboro Area Senior High School.

She's actually looking forward to the challenge of boot camp.

“It's the one point in time that everybody's on the same level,” she said. “It's not like high school or the real world. You're all the same ... you go in like that and then advance,” noted Malinosky, whose father, Fred, was a sergeant in the U.S. Army.

Her mother Nancy, on the other hand, “thinks I'm crazy because I think it looks like fun.”

In training

Malinosky, who was a member of field hockey and track teams and active in art at WASHS, participated in the early-to-college program in her senior year.

“I'm just a few credits from my associate's degree in business,” said Malinosky, who attended Hagerstown Community and Wilson colleges and one day would like to own a dog boarding and grooming facility.

Malinosky's work on a dairy farm the past four years was the focus of her senior project.

Those challenging job requirements may have led to her choice to be a combat engineer.

“It's a manly job, dealing with explosives and guns. One of my friends is a combat engineer, and he's been to Iraq twice. It's almost guaranteed I'll go.”

She won't be on the front lines, however.

“It's the law. I would be on a secure base.”

Malinosky trains once a week at the Chambersburg Mall, where the Marine recruiting station is located.

“We train outside. They work you hard ... to give you a taste of boot camp. We stretch, run and do drills.”

While at boot camp, Malinosky will not be permitted to call home for three months.

“We can write letters ... no cell phones or computers, and no jewelry.”

Malinosky said it was difficult to say goodbye to her long, blond hair.

“You have to have it pulled back a certain way, so I just decided to cut if off. It was really hard. I had waited for a long time for my hair to grow out. It was to the middle of my back.”

After boot camp, Malinosky will be home on leave for 10 days and then report to Camp Lejeune, N.C., for 21 days of combat training.

“I can't come home after that. It will be straight-to-job school. That can take months, depending on your progress. I could be deployed anywhere.”

Not really scared

Malinosky said her parents thought her decision to enlist was “pretty sudden, even though I've always wanted to do it.

“I'm not really scared. I'm really anxious. I'm ready for business ... for people to start yelling at me.

“I'm ready to see what I can do,” added Malinosky, who believes it's important for American forces to be in Iraq.

“It shows people we care,” said Malinosky, who is looking forward to meeting the Iraqi children.

“We're their hope.”

Ellie

FistFu68
01-22-07, 10:21 PM
:evilgrin: WHEN I READ THIS ABOUT THIS YOUNG LADY.IT SHOWED ME WHAT IS GREAT ABOUT THIS COUNTRY,AND ALOT OF IT'S YOUNG PEOPLE!SHE'S GONNA RISK IT ALL,BETTER HERSELF;AND TRY AND MAKE THIS WORLD A BETTER PLACE! FUC,THE POLITICIAN'S;WITH PEOPLE LIKE THIS AMERICA,IS GONNA BE ALRIGHT!IT'S STORMY AT THE MOMENT,BUT THAT TOO;SHALL PASS! TO THE BRAVE GOOD FORTUNE! GODBLESS THIS YOUNG WOMAN,WHERE THE STAR'S AND STRIPE'S AND THE EAGLE FLY'S!!!:iwo: