PDA

View Full Version : Marine gives present to Jacksonville USO

thedrifter
01-22-07, 08:50 AM
Marine gives present to Jacksonville USO
January 22,2007
MICAH MASSEI
DAILY NEWS STAFF

Trading the fierce cold winds of Chicago for the gentle warm breezes of coastal Carolina, Joe Graniero arrived in Onslow County an impressionable young kid at a crossroads.

It was 1977.

A time of "Star Wars," disco and excess, many 18-year-olds were taking full advantage of their newfound freedom out of high school.

Not Graniero.

Like other young men trading glances with the waterways and longleaf pines of Onslow County for the first time, Graniero arrived as a Marine, sure enough of himself in making that decision to enter the Marine Corps, yet naturally apprehensive in letting go of the comfortable, familiar surroundings of home.

"I was 18 and away from home," Graniero said. "Thankfully, there was the USO. I remember it was October 1977. I walked through those doors and everything they said was correct - it was a home away from home."

Graniero considers the USO in Jacksonville his second home and has been calling it such for 30 years.

Since Graniero, now a chief warrant officer 5 with 8th Communications Battalion, has enjoyed so many wonderful experiences at the USO over the years, he wanted to give something back.

That something involved designing an elaborate historical display for the USO commemorating 1942, the year in which the Jacksonville USO first opened.

"Last June, the USO had the cabaret for its 65th anniversary and the theme was the 1940s," Graniero said. "It was like a USO show from the 1940s. My wife and I were talking and we noticed the look on the faces of some of the older couples, who of course had lived through that time. ... The look on their faces was incredible. They were so caught up in the moment. That was one of the biggest joys of the night."

Graniero, who restores old radios from the 1920s, '40s and '50s ("anything with the vacuum tubes") and owns more than 200, says his wife proposed he donate one to the USO. Graniero liked the idea but wanted to do more. Also a collector of historic memorabilia, he decided to try his hands at creating a display to go along with his 1942 Philco 42-1010 console radio/phonograph.

"I've done radios and stuff for people, but nothing like this," Graniero said. "This was my first display."

He began in July. Graniero put together a massive display of magazine covers, newspaper clippings, posters, stamps, records, draft cards, medals, dog tags, USO handbooks and other memorabilia -all from 1942.

He finished around Thanksgiving, but the USO officially unveiled it last week - just ahead of Graniero's year-long deployment to Iraq, his third tour.

When Graniero contacted Judy Pitchford, USO of North Carolina president and CEO, about doing the display she didn't know how large it would be.

All Pitchford expected was a bit of information about the radio.

"I was thinking the radio and (that) he wanted to use the wall space for maybe some information about the radio. I had no idea," said Pitchford, who was speechless when she saw Graniero's donation.

"And it's pretty hard to make me speechless," Pitchford said. "My jaw dropped open. I was amazed. It's just a beautiful, beautiful display of USO and Onslow history. It encompasses everything that was going on in the U.S. at the time, as well as incorporates what was going in Onslow County.

"We've received gifts before, but nothing along the lines of this - nothing as grand or as beautiful."

Despite the praise, Graniero calls the display his small way of saying thanks.

"The USO has always been a second home to me," Graniero said. "They've provided so much for me over the years. This is my way of of giving something back and saying 'thank you.'"

Pitchford sees the display as a tribute not only to the USO, but to all those who've served or are currently serving in the armed forces.

"Probably 30,000, if not more, will see this while he's gone," said Pitchford. "I think this will impact so many, especially our older generation. Our younger members might not get as much out of it as our middle-aged or older community, but when they're older, the history will become more important."

Graniero hopes that the members of the "Greatest Generation" appreciate the display.

"This is (primarily) for the USO and the veterans of the Second World War," said Graniero. "A lot of people came through the USO since 1942. No matter the generation, the USO has always been there for everyone.

"It's always been there and it always will be."

Contact Micah Massei at mmassei@freedomenc.com or 353-1171, Ext. 237.

Ellie