PDA

View Full Version : Man creates moving memorial to Marines

thedrifter
01-22-07, 07:48 AM
Man creates moving memorial to Marines
BY JAMES GILBERT SUN STAFF WRITER
Jan 21, 2007

A Yuma winter visitor has turned his red 2005 Chevrolet pickup into a drivable shrine dedicated to the U.S. Marine Corps.

"This truck is a tribute to every Marine who ever served his country," said Roger Gwidt, who has two sons-in-law and a grandson in the Corps.

A former Marine himself, Gwidt spent more than a year and $5,800 decorating his pickup with Marine Corps-related decals.

"I started in April of 2005 and finished up in October of last year," Gwidt said. " 'Wow, it's beautiful,' is what most people say when they see it."

In addition to decals that signify famous phrases and battles associated with the Marine Corps throughout history, there is a six-foot photo of the memorial statue of the Marines raising the flag at Iwo Jima on the bed cover and the Marine Corps insignia adorns the hood.

The truck's horn also plays the first line of the Marine Corps anthem. Future plans, Gwidt said, include a photo decal of a Harrier jet on the roof of the cab.

"I'm very proud of my time in the Corps," said Gwidt, who served from 1951 to 1954 during the Korean War. "I love the Marine Corps. They have always taken care of their own."

Gwidt, who says he and his wife are considering moving back to Yuma, drove the truck through as many states as possible on their way here from their home in Green Bay, Wis.

"I want as many people as possible to see the truck and what it symbolizes," Gwidt said. "I plan to take a different route back when we leave in March so we can go through some different states."

The Gwidts previously lived in Yuma from 1984 to 2001.

Gwidt says he displays his truck at car shows and drives in parades in towns within a 100 miles of his home on national holidays such as Memorial Day, Veterans Day and the Fourth of July.

In what Gwidt called an honor, he said he was asked by the parents of Pfc. Ryan Jerabek to drive the truck at the start of a run held in memory of their son.

Jerabek, who was from a neighboring town near Gwidt's home, was killed on April 6, 2004, in a firefight in Ramadi, Iraq.

"I felt proud to do it because this kid gave his life for his country, and was given the Bronze Star, which is special," Gwidt said. "It felt awesome."

Gwidt has since put a decal honoring Jerabek on the passenger side of his truck between the back tire and the cab.

"The truck started out as a tribute to the Marines, now it's also a memorial to Ryan," Gwidt said. "It's both."

James Gilbert can be reached at jgilbert@yumasun.com or 539-6854.

http://sun.yumasun.com/artman/uploads/2002art/memorial_truck_web.jpg

FORMER MARINE Roger Gwidt talks about his "Marine Memorial Truck. The truck was decorated to honor all Marines, including Pfc. Ryan Jerabek, who was killed in Iraq in 2004.