PDA

View Full Version : Fresh Boot and Hump Nightmares

Hewitt
01-22-07, 12:03 AM
I just graduated bootcamp on jan 19th out of san diego mcrd, and had no real problems in my bootcamp experince for the most part, but the one thing that kicked my a$$ were all the humps, i could handle the 3 and 5 and even 8 mile humps with a fake smile on my face, but the "reaper" hump kicked my butt and ive heard now that im getting ready to go to ITB that im goin to get to have the "pleasure" of the reaper and mount mother F---er and various other humps with more weight and a faster pace than in bootcamp. Was just looking for some advice from some old devil dogs on how to prepare for these humps while on my 10 days leave and what workouts helped yall in overcoming humps up hills, and what to really expect as far as humps and being a 03? Does it get better over time or does the mind just adjust to the pain? Any advice that you could give a new marine getting ready to head into the world of being a grunt would be much appreciated.

SkilletsUSMC
01-22-07, 12:14 AM
I just graduated bootcamp on jan 19th out of san diego mcrd, and had no real problems in my bootcamp experince for the most part, but the one thing that kicked my a$$ were all the humps, i could handle the 3 and 5 and even 8 mile humps with a fake smile on my face, but the "reaper" hump kicked my butt and ive heard now that im getting ready to go to ITB that im goin to get to have the "pleasure" of the reaper and mount mother F---er and various other humps with more weight and a faster pace than in bootcamp. Was just looking for some advice from some old devil dogs on how to prepare for these humps while on my 10 days leave and what workouts helped yall in overcoming humps up hills, and what to really expect as far as humps and being a 03? Does it get better over time or does the mind just adjust to the pain? Any advice that you could give a new marine getting ready to head into the world of being a grunt would be much appreciated.

Dude...:D

Yes there is more weight and longer humps in SOI and the fleet, but there is no "at&t----reach out and touch someone" and you can walk at the propper distance from the Marine in front of you. Plus you can talk ALL YOU WANT! So it can be kinda fun. I dont think any hump could be faster than boot camp. It was like a 10 mile run with a ruck more than a hump for me...

sgt tony
01-22-07, 12:20 AM
1st welcome home Marine and cograts. I did the same thing and while I was home I did Bents and thurst, mountian climers and ran as much as posible. You always be climing or humping while being a 03 that is just part of the job.
If you go to Camp Lejune then you just have long humps stay in Camp Pen and well that is where the hills are.
When you go IBT you will see that it is a little easier but not much, the fun of it is the guys that come from P.I. will have all kinds of problem in the hills so you can simle as you pass them.

Semper Fi Marine

Quinbo
01-22-07, 03:38 AM
The first thing you do is hydrate before hand. Not barley pop hydration or mountain dew hydration but lots and lots of water. Before hand is not half hour before you go but start a day before you go. Drink as much water as you can, then drink some more. Think of it as filling your inner canteen.

Take care of your feet. Black socks, white socks, green socks is the trick. Take a pair of them fancy black dress socks and put a good dose of foot powder in them then put them on. Put a good splash of foot powder in a pair of good cotten gym socks and put them over the black socks. Put your green cushion sole socks over the top of the white socks then put a heavy dose of foot powder in your boots before you put them on.

Next grit your teeth and tell yourself that no college boy that never even went to boot camp is going to walk one inch farther or faster than you can.

jinelson
01-22-07, 06:23 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v660/jinelson/156100.jpg
Welcome Aboard Hewitt!

Congratulations Marine and welcome to the family.

Semper Fi

Jim

thedrifter
01-22-07, 07:50 AM
Congratulations Marine!

Ellie

SkilletsUSMC
01-22-07, 07:52 AM
Next grit your teeth and tell yourself that no college boy that never even went to boot camp is going to walk one inch farther or faster than you can.

I do the same kinda thing. I just focus as hard as I can about how "this hump aint ****", or "this is just a little hill" I get so pumped up on the hills I have a harder time going down...

I have heard some Marines cover their hot spots in duct tape... Never done it, but then again humping is one of the easier things for me.

FistFu68
01-22-07, 08:14 AM
:evilgrin: GET YOURSELF 5 SANDBAG'S FILL 'EM UP WITH SAND,NO SAND;GET SOME TEN INCH SOLID CINDER BLOCK'S!!!PUT IN YOU'R ALICE PACK,WITH COMBAT BOOT'S ON!!!THE KNEE DEEP BLACK SAND OF GEIGER,WAS A REAL BEAR!!!AFTER ARRIVING IN PENDLETON,FOR STAGING;MT.MUTHA WASN'T CHIT!!!FRIGGING ANT HILL'S(LOL)HELL WE HUMPED IT JUST FOR FUNN,ALL DAY SUNDAY!!!'CAUSE WHERE, WE WERE GOING TO HUMP WAS THE REAL DEAL;THE MOUNTAIN'S OF VIET-NAM!!! NO FRIGGING HUMVEE RIDE'S!!!HAVE FUNN~AND GODSPEED~MARINE!!! GUNG-HO~SEMPER~FIDELIS:iwo: