PDA

View Full Version : Shulgold: Mom pulls strings for GIs

thedrifter
01-20-07, 07:32 AM
Shulgold: Mom pulls strings for GIs
January 20, 2007

Edith LeMaster might have created a monster - and she couldn't be happier about it.

What began as a desire to send a guitar to her son, a Marine stationed in Iraq, has grown to the point where the Aurora woman is forming a nonprofit organization designed to bring the pleasures of playing music to other U.S. troops in the Middle East.

"I'm planning to call it Grateful Nation - and I'm the president," LeMaster said. "But really, all I did was start it. So many others have pitched in."

She had dubbed her original concept Music for Marines, intending to solicit a few locally donated guitars, banjos, mandolins and harmonicas for shipment to soldiers in Iraq.

"I wanted to show (the Marines) that we care about their mental health. LeMaster had worried about the effects of post-traumatic stress disorder on soldiers in harm's way. Once she learned that the effects of PTSD can be softened by such simple distractions as playing music, she had found a means to express her support.

In November, the Rocky Mountain News published a story on LeMaster and her son, Cpl. Joe Kaniatobe, announcing that donations would be accepted by the Denver Musicians Association. According to DMA president Pete Vriesenga, 25 guitars, 28 harmonicas and cash contributions totaling $385 have since been received. Guitars are being cleaned up and fitted with new strings by Harry Tuft and his associates at the Denver Folklore Center, and are ready to be sent off next week.

Vriesenga and LeMaster already had secured the support of Brandt Erickson, adjutant at American Legion Post No. 1, who agreed to ship the accumulating stack of instruments overseas. An earlier batch, of about a dozen, already had been sent to members of every branch of the military, with instructions that they be left behind for other soldiers after their owners' tours of duty ended. One stipulation is that the instruments go to "lower-ranking people" in the military, rather than officers.

While stationed in Ramadi, Kaniatobe quickly discovered the healing nature of music. "He told me that the guitar made such a difference," LeMaster said. "When you're all alone over there, maybe with no radio, no laptop or no iPod, you start missing home. Being able to play a tune helps to take the edge off."

Kaniatobe, 30, in Denver since October and serving as a recruiter for the Marines, has accepted his mother's invitation to serve as secretary of Grateful Nation. "That way, I'll be sure no one screws up," he told her.

With help from her ex-husband, an Oklahoma lawyer, LeMaster is completing the necessary paperwork to establish Grateful Nation as a nonprofit. A Web site also is on the horizon. "The site would allow soldiers to contact us and facilitate donations from anyone, anywhere," she noted.

In addition to continuing her drive for donated guitars, LeMaster is also hoping to enlist a volunteer staff. "I'm looking for anyone who wants to be involved," she said. The DMA's Vriesenga already has offered to serve on the board.

Buoyed by the local success of her project, she is now hoping to shift it to the national stage. "All it would take is one famous musician to go on Good Morning America," LeMaster suggested.

Recently, she did gain a prominent ally - Grateful Nation now has a friend in Congress: Rep. Diana DeGette, D-Colo., expressed her full support.

"Anything I could do to help, I gladly will," the congresswoman said earlier this week. "I think this is a wonderful idea - a good gesture from the music community. We could maybe have a locally-based guitar drive.

"And I could take this to my colleagues (in the House of Representatives). I'm sure they'd be very interested. If a number of congressmen supported this, it could take off. The musicians' union has offices in every state, so each could participate."

DeGette said she's a longtime friend of Vriesenga, having met him through her father, a Denver jazz musician. Vriesenga had discussed the donation program with her during a rehearsal for a Christmas program at Montview Presbyterian Church, where DeGette occasionally sings in the choir.

"I told him it was a great idea," she said, agreeing with LeMaster's contention that strumming a guitar can relieve the stresses of combat and loneliness. "Research has shown that music can be good therapy."

LeMaster voiced amazement at the growth of her simple dream. "I didn't expect all this," she confessed, "but I do embrace it.

"Now, my goal is to get an instrument to every soldier in Iraq and Afghanistan who wants one.

"As I understand it, one in 10 people can play an instrument. We have, at the moment, 130,000 troops over there. That means we would need 13,000 guitars."

How to help

• Donations of guitars, fiddles, harmonicas and other acoustic instruments may be made through the Denver Musicians Association, 1165 Delaware St., Denver CO 80204, or by calling 303-573-1717.

• Monetary contributions toward the purchase of instruments may also be sent to the DMA. Checks indicating "Music for Marines" should be made out to American Legion Post No. 1.

• If you have a relative stationed, or about to be stationed, in Iraq or Afghanistan, and would like them to receive an instrument, a request may be made through the DMA.

• Those interested in joining Grateful Nation can contact its president, Edith LeMaster, through the DMA.

Shulgoldm@RockyMountainNews.com or 303-954-5296

Ellie