PDA

View Full Version : Future Marine Wanting some Info!!!

slayer101288
01-19-07, 11:32 PM
:flag: Hello all Poolees and Marines. I am Jordan Moore from Virginia and I have wanted to be a Marine all my life! Ever since my cousins, uncle, and grandpa retired, Ive wanted to be one! I cant explain it, its like an overwhelming pride I get just thinking about being a Marine! But I have one problem, and the only problem that will keep me out! I am over weight and big time. I am 6'2" and 315lbs. I have tried Diets after Diet, and never loss efficient weight. I work out and work out, and then for some reason lose motivation and go back to my same ole F*** up self! Anyways.... if there are any Marines, or Poolees that May have some helpful advice for me, it would be GREATLY Appreciated! Thank you so much! and OORAH!! :flag:

Allen870922
01-19-07, 11:36 PM
Find yourself a motivated recruiter who will run your *** virtually every single day for a year.

And don't say "Oorah" unless you are a Marine. The Marines here might not like that.

slayer101288
01-19-07, 11:40 PM
Alright, sorry! Didnt really think about that! I just always heard my uncle and cousins say it, and I basically picked up on it! To where I started saying it all the time! so ya!

SmokeyBandit
01-20-07, 07:39 AM
Become a long distance runner and no running a lap around the track doesn't count. Go out and run 5-10 miles. Now don't do that right now, build up to it of course, start out at maybe a half a mile 3-4 times a week and gradual build up. And knock off any fast food or pop. Maybe try getting on a bike and riding 10-30 miles. It'll make you crotch hurt, but you'll burn calories exspecially if you stay in a low gear and spin alot.

Good Luck in earning the title of United States Marine!

Echo_Four_Bravo
01-20-07, 11:35 AM
Wrong answer. 5-10 miles isn't how you lose weight. Look at the sticky about losing 80 pounds and do everything it says to do. Lift heavy, HIIT, and a totally clean diet. If you want to be a Marine, you will do it. If you don't, then keep being fat.

Marine84
01-20-07, 12:04 PM
NEVER LOSE MOTIVATION! Totally change what/how much/how you cook it eat and MOVE! YOU have to be hellbent on doing it!

I know it may sound stupid to some but, the way Weight Watchers teaches is GREAT - you would be surprised what you can still eat but cook it differently and limit portions. You don't have to go to the meetings or any of that crap - all I did was get somebody that is doing the meetings teach me.

Quinbo
01-20-07, 02:52 PM
Losing weight is first of all your responsibility, if you wish to be a Marine. Weight loss requires a life style change, not a diet. If you are fat I'm sure you know why you are fat and what you are doing or failing to do that is making you fat. There are training programs and advisors to help you lose weight and keep it off, but it is not a short term instant gratification type of a plan.

I was the unit weight control NCO at Quantico and it was the rare individual that got off the program and then did not have to come back and see me within 6 months. The individuals that continued to maintain the weight standard for the rest of their time in, I salute you.

hmckinley
01-21-07, 07:27 AM
I salute the patriotism of your family and your wanting to be added to the list. If you can't loose the weight under your own motivation, period, Then go on to boot camp. As a former DI, we sent the fat bods to the fat bod platoon, they had a hog board inside the barracks door stating the (tons) of weight loss for the previous month and a day to day tally up to the day you're eyeballing the board. Every breath you take your're doing things their way. You will learn the word pogey bait and the amount of this s--t you should restrict yourself from consuming anyway. If you are considered fat on any particular day, your training stops right there---to the fat body platoon you go.... When you loose the required weight and casting a smaller shadow, you go back to training, not with the platoon you started with but with a platoon on the next day of training you were on before going to loose all that weight.
Maybe the Marine's have changed all of this in the SOP, if so would someone clue me in to why we need a weight watcher NCO in any outfit in the few and the proud! Is this an MOS? What a waste of man power if so.

Quinbo
01-21-07, 01:43 PM
My MOS was 0311; I worked in S-3; one of my duties was the administration of the unit weight control program. There is an MCO P on it but I can't recall the order number.

Basically if a Marine exceeded the the max weight or failed the PFT they got to come spend a couple hours with me 6 days a week. We also sent them to nutrition classes and there were a few that would take an afternoon session voluntarily as well. The program is also an endless stream of paperwork, physical training, diet and nutrition training. If after 6 months (this is way too long) a Marine is still fat and unmotivated then they will go before a board and stand of very good chance of going home for good. If at any time during those six months any of these over weight Marines made the weight and passed the PFT then they were removed the program. Most grunt organizations are not even aware this exists because a couple weeks in the field is all it takes to trim someone down. Pogue units ..... it is a necessary evil. A don't think assigning a Marine to assist others in maintaining the MC weight standard is a waste of manpower

Kildars
01-21-07, 04:23 PM
I salute the patriotism of your family and your wanting to be added to the list. If you can't loose the weight under your own motivation, period, Then go on to boot camp. As a former DI, we sent the fat bods to the fat bod platoon, they had a hog board inside the barracks door stating the (tons) of weight loss for the previous month and a day to day tally up to the day you're eyeballing the board. Every breath you take your're doing things their way. You will learn the word pogey bait and the amount of this s--t you should restrict yourself from consuming anyway. If you are considered fat on any particular day, your training stops right there---to the fat body platoon you go.... When you loose the required weight and casting a smaller shadow, you go back to training, not with the platoon you started with but with a platoon on the next day of training you were on before going to loose all that weight.
Maybe the Marine's have changed all of this in the SOP, if so would someone clue me in to why we need a weight watcher NCO in any outfit in the few and the proud! Is this an MOS? What a waste of man power if so.

I don't even think they'll send him to boot that big, he has to be within a certain percentage I believe. I think it's 5% of the max.

jinelson
01-21-07, 04:31 PM
Give this a read Jordan the guy that wrote it is at MCRD Parris Island now. If he can do it you can do it! http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29787

Jim

ElDiablo
01-22-07, 01:35 PM
Yeah...that thread is really helpful...read it and adjust where needed...I'm starting HIIT and watching my calories and carbs...

cplbrooks
01-30-07, 07:43 PM
Find yourself a motivated recruiter who will run your ass virtually every single day for a year.

It isnt a matter of being a motivated recruiter. It is a matter of not having the kind of time to spend on an applicant who is disqualified by almost 100 lbs. Lose the weight and then see a recruiter. You have to motivate yourself. If you want to be a Marine then put out and lose the weight.

MotivatorOfTheGuard
01-31-07, 09:55 AM
or, you could remain as unmotivated as you want and just pound epsom salt oorah! I'm just messing, if you do that i will find you and haze you. Seriously though, push yourself until you feel like death is the only release, then push further and harder, then push harder, then push harder, your body will do what you want, when you push it further then it ever has before. It will be painful, but thats good! if you PT enough, it gets to be fun. i remember when i joined the pool i ran 1.5 miles in like 15 minutes, and by the time i got to my first duty station (CamPen) we would run 8-12 miles every friday with our MSgt through the beautiful Camp Pendelton mountains, and it was fun, especially when people are fighting with each other to call cadence. Just learn to enjoy it. Enjoy improving yourself. When you get unmotivated, go for a 2, 3 mile jog, and work out your issues in your head, before you know it, you've ran 4 miles, having no recollection at all because you allowed yourself to focus on something besides the physical aspect. It's all in your head, so try and stay positive.

usmc09
01-31-07, 10:03 AM
hey try having a buddy do it with u and u two run every day for the next month and eat healthy as much as u can and keep the marine corps in ur mind when u run run in step together it works trust me my friend was there and i helped him lose weight have any more questions ask me

Korling
01-31-07, 03:14 PM
I have wanted to be a Marine all my life!...and then for some reason lose motivation

The answer is right within your own post. If you "want" it bad enough, you have the proper motivation, do you really "want" it bad enough that you are willing to WORK to get it. The title isn't just given to those who WANT it more than others, the title is earned.

1) Run, Run and more running
2) Water, no more pop (soda)
3) portion control

The time is now, if you want it bad enough, do the work and get it done.

Echo_Four_Bravo
01-31-07, 10:12 PM
Add lifting heavy to the above along with eating proper portions of the right food. If you eat small amounts of crap you'll still be fat.

Motorola07
02-01-07, 12:46 AM
Add lifting heavy to the above along with eating proper portions of the right food. If you eat small amounts of crap you'll still be fat.
I lost a bunch of pounds by just not eatting as much as I use to. I cut back on how much I use to eat. I quit drinking sodas, and I use to have a chocalte shake from sonic almost every other day, with a double cheese burger. I haven't had a chocalte shake since, but I still eat at sonic, I still eat same food, just smaller portions. Use to weigh about 180 pounds 5'5 my freshman year. I watched how much I was eatting, didnt have a soda, and stoped with the heavy eatting. and now im 5'9 151 pounds. The sodas is what helped me loose it. Dont drink it. Stick with water. I dont have stretch marks, and Yes i do weight lift... Wish i still had a picture of me being fat... I deleted them all off my computer and trashed the ones on photo paper... Try not to look at my self like that again.

I have my old drivers licesons ill see if i cant put that up, its a picture of me being huge..
Do have a now picture, was taken in october for Homecoming... Me and my g/f
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v519/plungerbugger/1359743416_l.jpg

Echo_Four_Bravo
02-01-07, 09:39 PM
30 pounds is a lot of weight, but it isn't the huge amount that some of these people need to lose. Accord lost 80+ pounds, and that wouldn't come from just cutting back. It has to be clean.

Motorola07
02-02-07, 12:15 AM
Very true... But thats how i lost mine, but i lost most of it during my jr. year at the end.