PDA

View Full Version : Lingo List

Rogue
02-07-03, 12:19 PM
Im obviously a Newbie (or better yet, a wanna be) around here and I often get lost with all the abreviations, and acronims.
Could a helping Marine help me out with a "Marine Lingo for Dummies" reply?

Semper Fi,
Rogue
:confused:

Earle Comstock
02-07-03, 12:24 PM
ROGUE

ktriplett
02-07-03, 03:05 PM
Stick around for awhile and read the posts. You'll pick up the "lingo" as you call it soon enough. Read all the posts in the poolee and mentor forums. Those should answer most of the questions you have. Then, the next post you make might actually contain an intelligent question. No one ever got anywhere using a cheat sheet.

wrbones
02-07-03, 03:19 PM
Rogue, everything you need to know is posted in the POOL-ee and Mentor forums. Do some reading if yer serious about this.

and please make up yer mind which username yer gonna use.

ktriplett, I was gonna go after him hard, but it looks like you have things well in hand.:D When ya get tired of him let me know will ya! :D

ktriplett
02-07-03, 03:24 PM
I'm just starting out, Sir, but if you get bored, I'll gladly step aside. :)

FREDDY
02-07-03, 07:18 PM
man he is going to get his eyes opened very hard good luck future boot.

Earle Comstock
02-07-03, 09:12 PM
Just to let you Poolees and wannabes know , stop calling us sir .We are not your drill instructors , nor are we officers . I know you guys are just doing that out of respect , but for the few of you that are serious , you will soon find out .

Cpl Comstock

leroy8541
02-07-03, 09:16 PM
we work for a living and don't change your diapers

ktriplett
02-07-03, 11:54 PM
That raises a question. We're told by some Marines to address them as "Sir" or "Ma'am" until we complete boot camp, but others tell us to address them by their rank. Which is it? Or does it vary from person to person?

wrbones
02-07-03, 11:58 PM
They want to get ya used to callin the DI's and everyone else for that matter "sir" or "ma'am" when yer in boot.

Us Fleet Marine types prefer to be called by our rank. ;) We earned it!

ktriplett
02-08-03, 12:00 AM
Ok, I'll remember that. Thanks for the heads up.

wrbones
02-08-03, 12:13 AM
BTW. "Fleet Marine" is an now an 'Old Corps' term! LOL.

Besides, it's not a bad thing to be polite and call yer elders "Sir" or "Ma'am" and use the appropriate greeting fer the time of day. Enlisted Marines being the exception to that! LOL.

leroy8541
02-08-03, 10:58 AM
Marines work hard to achieve NCO ranks, you might want to read Top Mikes thread, I like this, it will explain every thing.

DevilPup2004
02-08-03, 07:43 PM
I refer to all service members, current and prior, by their rank, and officers also get "Ma'am" or "Sir." That's what I was taught in the Civil Air Patrol Cadet Program. But then, the others in my squadron seem to think that the person does not hold the rank or position. The person's uniform does. To me, I don't care if my superiors are in uniform or not. I'm going to accord them the respect they deserve. For instance, just today, we went on an activity in which we just wore civvies. I kept hearing, "If you were in uniform...." and "Don't call me 'Sergeant.' I'm not in uniform." To me, a uniform is piece of clothing. It's the person who wears that uniform - along with the rank insignia and the decorations on it - that deserve my respect. And if they haven't earned my respect, oh well. If they outrank me, they still deserve to be accorded customs and courtesies.

Anyway, maybe it's just me. What do you Marines think about this?

Earle Comstock
02-08-03, 08:03 PM
Well for me , when I was in uniform they called me Cpl Comstock .
When I was in the field they called me Cpl Comstock , Cpl C. or Cpl Commie . When we were on liberty , well now there's another story . Now you don't have a uniform on , so unless they know you , your the same as everyone else . Not everyone , but most give you , your due respect accordingly . And if you go to the E-Club and had a few to many , I've heard they call you just about everything . Not that I have ever experienced anything like that . Hell , I was a Marine , I did and do everything to the best of my ability , including swearing , fvcking and fighting . But your not dead til you stop breathing .
I was always taught to respect my elders , and Rank . These are earned , not givin !

firstsgtmike
02-09-03, 07:31 AM
DevilPup2004,

A thoughtful question deserves a thoughtful answer.

Both of us, out of uniforn, being introduced for the first time. He says, call me "Bob". His name is Bob, my name is Mike.

Meeting again, later, in uniform, he becomes Major Smith, I become First Sergeant Farrell.

Meeting again, in the same civilian setting, since he is senior, he sets the pace. He refers to me as "Top", I refer to him as Major. He refers to me as Mike, I refer to him as Bob.

We both know who and what we are, and we act amongst ourselves accordingly. Allowances may be made in a civilian atmosphere, however, if the Major tells the Sgt to address him by his rank, that's it. If the Major tells the Sgt. that in this community, his name is Bob, that's it.

Your Patrol is WRONG. The person holds the rank or position, the uniform merely publicizes it.

There is an exeption when it comes to Officers. We can either salute the man, or the rank insignia. (Generally, he won't know the difference..)

In a sense, it's like getting married. What do you call your in-laws?

Regardless of the name, the overall relationship can never be changed. The mother-in-law can be Mom, Betty, or Mrs. Green. Whatever is acceptable to her as the occassion warrants.

Earned military rank, hopefully, indicates an increase in maturity. Then, the correct responses to specific situations are automatic.

Anyone, of any rank, who takes umbrage of a sincere gesture is an *******.

If an address is perceived to be wrong, a quiet reminder from the senior to the subordinate is all that it should take to get things back on track again.

On the other hand, I have been known to say, to an officer I chose NOT to be familiar with,"Major, my name is First Sergeant Farrell, not Mike. Sir."

It takes time, and experience to establish a comfort zone.

BigCat
02-09-03, 09:56 AM
First Sgt Mike,

This was the best explanation of addressing rank, and those having rank that I have ever heard. Clear and precise.

Good job Marine!

Carmen "Big Cat"
GySgt USMC

wrbones
02-09-03, 01:04 PM
BIGCAT!!! Glad to see ya, bro! I hope yer gonna be around a bit more! We missed ya!

Gotta watch the First Sergeant! ALL of his posts are like that! Man will send chills down yer spine and often give ya a chuckle at the same time!