PDA

View Full Version : 'Hypno-Chick' keeps Marines entranced

thedrifter
01-19-07, 12:42 PM
CAMP HANSEN, Okinawa (January 19, 2007) -- Most people are used to seeing Marines do as they're told. However, that usually doesn't involve putting bugs in their pants or electrocuting themselves.

But that is precisely what some Marines thought they were doing Jan. 11 when comedic hypnotist De'Anna, also known as "The Hypno-Chick," performed at The Palms.

"That was one of the weirdest things I've been through," Cpl. Stephanie M. Mendez said after she was brought out of the hypnotic state. "I'm not sure what happened, but I sure believe in hypnotism now."

De'Anna, who has entertained service members for over 8 years, started the show with approximately 20 volunteers from the audience, but after giving a few "suggestions" to them, like an intense urge to go to the bathroom, some snapped out if it and went back to their seats.

"We had 20 chairs up on the stage to begin with, and we ended up with 10, so only the most focused people will be the deepest in hypnosis," De'Anna explained. "You bring yourself in and out of hypnosis; it's a totally natural thing. I'm just there to guide you with suggestions."

Hypnotists do not have control over participants; they just suggest an idea to the volunteers and then their subconscious mind decides whether or not they want to believe or act on what they are being told.

Those who were hypnotized said they couldn't remember exactly what they did while on the stage.

"It was kind of like watching something in third person," said Cpl. Taylor J. Schwab, a volunteer who stayed hypnotized through the entire show. "I remember the crowd, and I remember getting up on the stage, but the only other thing I remember after that is - sand."

The first skit De'Anna performed on the hypnotized volunteers was telling them they were all stuck in quicksand and the more they moved, the deeper they sank.

"One guy took his belt off to help pull himself out of it. I've never seen that before," she laughed. "Then again, I've also never seen someone rip off their underwear with their pants still on because they thought they had ants in their pants, but I did tonight."

De'Anna said she loves doing shows for Marines and has performed at Marine Corps Bases Quantico, Va., Camp Lejeune, N.C., 29 Palms, Calif., and Camp Pendleton, Calif.

De'Anna said she owes more than just great shows to the Marine Corps. In fact, she said Marines helped her find a more catchy stage name.

"When I'd go on base, no one would remember me as De'Anna the hypnotist, but Marines started calling me the 'Hypno-Chick' and everyone would remember that," she said. "So I thank the Marine Corps for my name."

http://www.okinawa.usmc.mil/Public%20Affairs%20Info/Images%20Complete/HighResImages/070119-palms.jpg

Comedic hypnotist De'Anna, also known as "The Hypno-Chick," performs at The Palms Jan. 11. (Photo by Corey A. Blodgett).