PDA

View Full Version : Afghanistan Sit-Rep

thedrifter
01-19-07, 11:20 AM
Afghanistan Sit-Rep
Posted By Blackfive

Marine Colonel (ret) Wayne Morris is on the ground in Afghansistan and has some observations via Corporal Seamus Garrahy that I thought I would share with you all. Some of you Marines know of Colonel Morris and he has been quoted here before:

I'm doing as well as can be expected given the situation we have over here. It's not good and we need to be doing better. The NATO crew just does NOT pack the gear to get the job done...don't have our Warfighting spirit...! In fact, and for the most part, their forces are a verrrrry bad joke...try to fight mounted in their vehicles when they should dismount and engage, and then the other day, a Brit element tried to dismount to attack a "fort"...did NOT fare too well on that...and...the Brits are the best they have...! Seeing some of the worst senior leadership (Col & above) in both U.S. & Coalition Force commands that I've seen in my 45+ years of being aligned with the Military...sad state of affairs.

IF we don't get some American Warfighters back over here in sufficient numbers, this effort is liable to go down the tubes in the not too distant future. I still urge all who will listen to get heavies involved who can get us a U.S. Army Air Assault Div and a U.S. Marine Corps MEB...both with lots of helo assets for mobility and CAS...and...the authorization to chase the bad guys across the border into Pakistan. IF we don't do that, this is gonna get real bad this next year as the Talibs come streaming out of the Paki mountains. Unlike other years, when they would leave the area in toto, they have left a rather large group of folks behind (DLIC of sorts) to battle the CF elements. We get fairly regular incoming rockets and mortars here aboard the combat base...more and more IEDs being encountered on the roads...more cases of SAF being directed at vehicles...etc. None of this is a good sign.

All that said, tho, OUR TEAM over here continues to move forward smartly and making a positive difference each and every day!

I'm past the half-way point...only about five and half months to go...sure looking forward to getting back home to M, B and back amongst the good folks of the USofA...!

Feel free to share with others.

Love to M and Semper Fi to all from the Cold & Windy (sand storm still blowing about outside...45+MPH winds) Sands of Kandahar,

WVM

Note: Some of you might notice the ref to the attack on a Taliban fortress. I forgot to ask the Colonel if the British dismounted attack was the same one where Lance Corporal Ford was killed.

Ellie