PDA

View Full Version : Recruit or Unit

Rogue
02-07-03, 12:12 PM
Burning Question

Ok, Im a sophmore in high school and I want to be a Marine (obviously)

From what I heard/assume...

- Turn 17 - Join delayed entry program
-Graduate- Join Marines (Boot Camp)
- College- Be Part time student / Part time marine
-Graduate- Full time Marine......

(Please correct me where im wrong)

Another Question

If I go to boot camp and than go to college, and be 1/2 & 1/2 School and Marine

Does that make me a Recruit?
And will the corp pay for my eduction in the mean time?

Barrio_rat
02-07-03, 12:30 PM
Well Rogue, let me answer some of this before "they" get to you. Go to the Poolees Hall and the Mentors Forum - Most of your questions (if not all) are answered there. After going through them and you still can't find the answer - you can ask a recruiter or come on back with some questions.

No such thing as 1/2 Marine - either you are or you are not. There are reserves and in the reserves you have more time to attend college - there are programs where you can go to Boot Camp in the summer between graduating high school and before attending college. Unless you have an NROTC scolorship, yer paying your way through college, though, there may be some programs that help you with your tuition.

Now, my suggestion is, go look in the forums for Poolees and those who wish to become Marines before asking Corps-joining related questions... the next answer will be from someone who's a bit tired of fielding these type of questions.

Cary on...

thedrifter
02-07-03, 12:43 PM
I'm going to offer you some (unsolicited) friendly advice. If you are truly legit then take heed. The best thing you can do is listen and observe and read the posts of the Marines in this forum. There are numerous folks on here that have a wealth of knowledge.

The Drifter

usmc85204
02-07-03, 01:22 PM
Just some information. First the sarge was right about the idea of 1/2. If you are going to be a student be one all the way then become a marine and do that with your whole heart. If you are going to be a marine , do that all the they and then become the best student you can be. That honors both instiiutions.
One of the biggest mistakes I made was, when I knew I was about to leave for boot camp, I sold my car. I figured I'd be gone for a long while and I didn't want it to sit. Then four months later I was home and looking for a ride. Once training was over I was stationed in North Carolina and could have swooped home to new jersey almost every weekend. Once training is over and you are stationed. It is like a job. you have time to go places and do things. So, don't make the mistake I did , Keep YOur Wheels....

Rogue
02-08-03, 01:16 PM
Thank you

Sixguns
02-10-03, 04:43 PM
Most of what you originally stated is true

1. You must be 17 to join (contract) for the enlisted active duty or reserve delayed entry program.

2. You will not begin training until you graduate from high school.

Here's where it gets tricky:

Reserve Marines will do boot camp, MCT and MOS training and then return home to their local reserve unit to begin "drill." These are weekend sessions held once monthly and a period of two weeks active duty annually. You could be a full-time student and part-time Marine.

Active Duty Marines get all their training and then join an active unit or command for full-time duty. You may be able to get your college in on a part-time schedule.

You need to discuss these issues and your goals with your local recruiter.