PDA

View Full Version : Grand Bear Lodge and Waterpark shows appreciation by offering families free stays

thedrifter
01-19-07, 07:48 AM
Grand Bear Lodge and Waterpark shows appreciation by offering families free stays

Friday, January 19, 2007

BY ERINN DESHINSKY

OF THE JOURNAL STAR
UTICA - Marine Sgt. Matthew Ortiz splashed with his son as they traveled the Lazy River on Thursday at Grizzly Jack's Grand Bear Lodge and Waterpark.

With temperatures in the 30s, the chance to enjoy a nice swim was a treat for Ortiz and his family. His and about 40 other military families were given a free three-day stay at the Utica lodge in appreciation of their service.

"This has been one of the most amazing events I've ever been to," said Ortiz, a Kansas City, Mo., resident who serves in Marine Air Control Group 48, based out of Great Lakes Naval Base. "I had no idea walking into the situation that we would be cared for and given so much."

The free admission for the more than 100 military men, women and family members was the idea of the lodge's owners, Joe Hook and Keith Wolick.

"Many of these soldiers will be shipped out soon," Hook said Thursday during a luncheon for the guests of honor. "Hopefully for them, this is a place where they can relax and escape a little."

The banquet room at the lodge was filled with more than 50 children, ready to play in the water park as well as the rooms of arcade games at Grand Bear.

Marine Master Sgt. Marco Justiniano of New York brought his wife and three boys for the three-day stay.

"It's great," said Justiniano, who served in Iraq during Desert Storm and spent three years in Okinawa before being transferred to Group 48. "I never expected anything like this. The kids love it and I love it."

The Grand Bear staff teamed up with the Disabled Patriot Fund, which contacted Ortiz and other military personnel to find interested families. Half of the Marines are planning to leave within a few months to start overseas tours. Others already have spent time in Iraq, Kuwait and Afghanistan.

Ortiz said it wasn't hard finding Marines to accept the gift.

"This is a great thing the resort is putting on here," Ortiz said. "We're extremely excited at the generosity."

Lt. Gov. Pat Quinn and state Rep. Frank Mautino, D-Spring Valley, attended Thursday's luncheon and praised the efforts of the Grand Bear staff and the Disabled Patriot Fund.

Many of the families checked in Wednesday night and will stay until this afternoon. Hook said the lodge is planning a few more of these appreciation packages for the military, though no dates have been set.

Marine Maj. Sean Maita of Chicago, who will be leaving next month for a tour in Africa, said it was great to bring the family out for some time together.

Maita said he wasn't sure what to expect from Grand Bear but was impressed with how much the facility had to offer, especially for his young son.

"The pool, the arcades, it's all fun," Maita said. "And it came at a great time."

Erinn Deshinsky can be reached at 686-3041 or state@pjstar.com.

Ellie