PDA

View Full Version : Recruits learn marksmanship fundamentals at snap-in circles

thedrifter
01-18-07, 10:09 PM
Recruits learn marksmanship fundamentals at snap-in circles
Jan. 19, 2007
By Lance Cpl. Alicia Small, MCRD San Diego

MARINE CORPS RECRUIT DEPOT SAN DIEGO (Jan. 19, 2007) -- Like the tortoise and the hare, slow and steady wins the race. In rifle marksmanship, a slow and steady trigger pull helps to score expert on the rifle range.

Before actually firing on the range in the second phase of boot camp, recruits from Company L were given a week to practice the basics of how to get into firing positions and safely handle their rifles. This is called "snapping in."

"This week, grass week, is designed to get the recruits comfortable with the positions and give them an advantage on the range," said Sgt. Robert Alcocer, primary marksmanship instructor, Weapons and Field Training Battalion, Marine Corps Base Camp Pendleton, Calif.

"Every Marine is a rifleman. Individuals cannot become Marines without learning how to shoot first," said Alcocer, a native of Los Angeles. "Rifle marksmanship is a crucial skill used to survive in battle."
Private Edgar Caballero, Platoon 3245, was the company high shooter. He qualified expert on the range with a score of 237 out of 250 possible points.

"My key to success was listening to all the instruction and coaching we were given and putting it to work while on the range," said Caballero, who is from Escondido, Calif. "I believe I would not have scored as high if I would not have focused on applying what I was taught during grass week."

Marines of Co. L were able to qualify with better scores because of the opportunity presented to them to practice and fine-tune their firing techniques and learn about proper weapons handling.