PDA

View Full Version : An Army Major just told me I made the right choice by enlisting...

Achped
01-18-07, 04:45 PM
whew, I feel really good right now. He's my ex gf's brother and he's stationed at MacDill AFB in Tampa, he works with Centcom. He was a blast to talk to. Did you know Iraq is safer for an 18 year old American than the streets of anytown, USA?

But he said given my plan, (enlist, college, officer), I'm in much better shape than either the ROTC guys right after college and the guys who enlist without a plan at all.

I remember being worried that 26 would be too old to be a platoon leader, he said think of it another way, would you rather trust a 26 year old platoon leader who has been a enlisted for 4 years, already seen combat in Iraq, and has been an NCO, or some green dumb*** straight out of college thinking he's gonna go "kill me some Haji."

It was really reassuring when a Major in the US Army tells me that enlisting as an 0300 in the Marine Corps was the perfect choice. :thumbup:

ggyoung
01-18-07, 05:47 PM
Achped++++++++That bit about Iraq being safer than on the streets of any town in the USA is a bunch of bull crap. See how far you can walk down a street in Iraq alone and see what happens.

Achped
01-18-07, 05:50 PM
He said statistically.

Don't worry, I don't expect Iraq to be a cakewalk.

Echo_Four_Bravo
01-18-07, 06:11 PM
ggyoung there are many streets in America that I would avoid walking down alone. Yet, there are places in Iraq that I wouldn't hesitate to go alone. It is all relative.

DWG
01-19-07, 06:29 AM
In either case an assault weapon, side arm and body armor are not all that out of place!

:marine: :banana:

SkilletsUSMC
01-19-07, 01:26 PM
whew, I feel really good right now. He's my ex gf's brother and he's stationed at MacDill AFB in Tampa, he works with Centcom. He was a blast to talk to. Did you know Iraq is safer for an 18 year old American than the streets of anytown, USA?

BULL****!!!:D

That is taking the countless FOBITS into consideration... Ask any 03 what he thinks of that statement... He'll tell you to try walking down the streets of Ramadi... There are some tough gangs in the USA, but not too many with AKs PKMs and RPGs.

DWG
01-19-07, 01:47 PM
BULL****!!!:D

There are some tough gangs in the USA, but not too many with AKs PKMs and RPGs.

Yet! And they are looking to upgrade!:scared: