PDA

View Full Version : Iraq War veteran makes third return, this time as private worker

thedrifter
01-18-07, 12:54 PM
Iraq War veteran makes third return, this time as private worker

By Sam Carter , Correspondent
Salem News

PEABODY - There's a shrine in Heshey Ramirez's house in Peabody that brings to mind images of a military museum.

Shelves on a wood-paneled wall contain Marine Corps commendations and dozens of Iraq War artifacts. An Iraqi soldier's helmet sits beside a U.S. Marine's helmet. There's a yellow taxi sign, written in Arabic.

The wall serves as a constant reminder for Ramirez of her fiancÉ, Timothy Sova Jr., who is in Baghdad for a third tour of duty - this time as a security contractor for Blackwater USA.

"He always wanted something like this," said Ramirez, 19, gesturing to the wall. "When he and I moved in, it was one of the first things he did."

Sova, 24, a Gloucester native, enlisted in the Marines right out of Gloucester High School and was in boot camp at Parris Island when the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks occurred.

"That was a hard time to be in boot camp," Sova wrote last week in an e-mail from Iraq, "because all the drill instructors were telling the recruits we were all going to war and gonna die."

But Sova lived. He was a lance corporal in Iraq for the initial invasion in March 2003 and on the ground for 42 days. He was in the battle for An Nasiriyah on March 23 when the U.S. Army's 507th Maintenance Convoy was ambushed and Pvt. Jessica Lynch was captured. Eighteen of Sova's friends were killed that day.

He was redeployed as a corporal in June 2004 to the Triangle of Death, an area south of Baghdad and the site of constant Shia-Sunni sectarian violence. It was a difficult and dangerous nine months for Sova, a time he rarely talks about, even with Ramirez.

"It was a bad time for him. He lost a lot of his friends there," Ramirez said.

And now Sova has chosen to re-enter one of the world's most dangerous cities.

Baghdad bodyguard

Sova has a dangerous job. In effect, he's a well-trained, heavily armed bodyguard providing protection to members of a "Washington, D.C., organization" in Baghdad's International Zone. He declined to elaborate.

But the danger is something to which Sova has become accustomed. "I feel more at peace with myself when I'm here (in Baghdad)," he wrote. "I can't really explain it, but I just know everything is better for me while I'm here."

His dedication does not surprise his mother.

"He's just one of those kids who really believes in what he's doing," said Donna Grinnell, his mother, who lives in Danvers. "He really feels he's over there to make a difference."

It was difficult for Sova to transition back into civilian life when his second tour with the Marines ended in mid-2005.

"I kept contemplating if getting out (of the Marines) was the right thing to do, since I had just received seven new Marines before I got out. I felt that they needed me there to protect them."

Ramirez was able to see that Sova wasn't comfortable being back in the United States.

"He was always watching the news or down at the recruiting office. He would say, 'I left my guys behind.' He would talk about re-upping for a third tour, and I would say, 'No, don't do it.'"

Sova and his friend, Marine Sgt. Joshua Orndorff, a recruiter in Danvers, would often ride their motorcycles in the area, sometimes with groups of other riders. "It was like he was back in a convoy," Ramirez said. "He would come home so happy."

Going private

But Sova felt drawn to Iraq. While in Baghdad, he had seen a few Blackwater security workers and was drawn to the occupation because it had similar characteristics to the military and much better pay. He applied in August 2005; his security clearance and background check took 10 months to complete.

By Dec. 9, Sova had completed Blackwater's High Threat Protection School in Moyock, N.C., and was on a plane back to Iraq.

For security and confidentiality reasons, Sova could not provide details of what he does or when he might return to the United States. He hopes one day to work for the State Department or the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.

Until then, Sova feels his place is in Baghdad working toward a goal of creating a democratic country in the Middle East.

"I want (Iraq) to be normal, and hopefully help end all this nonsense violence they're putting themselves through," he wrote. "This country is beautiful, and I think everybody should enjoy its beauty and history some day."

Ellie