PDA

View Full Version : 'My Superman'

thedrifter
01-18-07, 09:29 AM
'My Superman'
Sister of Tinley man who made the ultimate sacrifice follows in his military footsteps

January 18, 2007
By Jim Hook Staff writer

Laura Clarke gazes down at the inscription on the black, metal bracelet and remembers a brother who was a superhero.

The silver letters spell out the name of Marine Cpl. Kevin Clarke, the Tinley Park man killed in February 2005 during a firefight near the Iraq-Syria border.

"Kevin's name is on my wrist, but his memory and spirit are in my heart," Laura Clarke said. "He was a great brother. He was my Superman. I miss him so much."

Laura Clarke loved and respected her big brother so much that she joined the Navy a year ago in hopes of carrying on his military legacy.

She is stationed at Naval Air Station Atlanta, in Marietta, Ga.

Clarke, 20, dropped out of community college to pursue a Navy career and find "purpose" in her young life.

But she also wanted to follow her brother's lead and give the military a try.

"Part of the reason I joined the military was to honor Kevin," Laura said. "He was a Marine. He loved being a Marine. He loved his Marine family. And I know he loved his family here, too."

His death continues to weigh heavily on the close-knit Clarke family headed by Phil and Cathy. The couple have four adult children.

They rely on their faith to carry them through their days.

Cathy Clarke said she initially wasn't thrilled at the thought of her youngest daughter joining the Navy.

"The military challenges you to reach your full potential in life," Cathy said. "I was proud of Laura for wanting to reach her full potential.

"But I also worry about her being so far away and the prospect of her being sent away to war, but this is something she wanted to do. Her dad and I had to let her live her life."

Cathy Clarke said Laura's decision to join the military "came from way out in left field."

"She never talked about it prior to joining," she said. "With Kevin, we knew from the time he was a little boy that he wanted to be a Marine. But Laura never talked about it."

Still, they accept Laura's choice.

"Her father and I raised her," she said. "God raises them up to do what he wants them to do."

Laura works in the medical clinic on the Naval base where she checks in patients and conducts eye and hearing tests.

She's completed hospital corps school and continues to take medical training courses.

Laura said she'd like to spend some part of the next four years as a Navy corpsman stationed with a Marine unit. She said she will apply for field medical training.

"I think that would really honor Kevin's memory," she said. "Part of me would love to do that. But part of me realizes what the Marines have to do and I'm not sure if I'm ready for that. I'm not sure if I'll ever really be ready for that. I'm not a Marine. And I'm not my brother."

Laura said she hopes to use her five years in the Navy as a stepping-stone to a career in the medical profession.

"Maybe I'll become a nurse," she said. "I'm not sure, but I'd like to pursue a career where I can help people.

"That's what Kevin was doing as a Marine. He was such a good person. I want to be like him."

Ellie