PDA

View Full Version : New Marines set to be newlyweds

thedrifter
01-16-07, 02:40 PM
New Marines set to be newlyweds

Anne Arundel sweethearts joined service together

By SCOTT DAUGHERTY, Staff Writer

Pvt. Christopher Young barely talked to his girlfriend for the past 13 weeks.

Despite being stationed together at boot camp in Parris Island, S.C., the two Marines just didn't want to risk latrine duty.

"If we got caught talking to each other it would not have been good," said Pvt. Young, 21, of Arnold, recalling how they'd only been able to exchange longing glances at church and the rifle range.

But when Pvt. Jennifer May, 21, of Severna Park, graduated Friday - one week after he did - he made it up to her with an engagement ring.

"I dropped down to a knee and told her I loved her," he said, adding that he did it immediately because he just couldn't wait. "I'm as excited as she is."

Pvt. May said she wasn't expecting it right then, although she did think she and her boyfriend of four years would end up married at some point.

"I was very shocked and kind of confused," she said, explaining that she didn't quite know what was happening at first. "It's amazing."

The Marines are planning a courthouse wedding on Friday - getting a license, going dress shopping, and arranging an after-party - in the hope that they'll be stationed together when they finish school in two months.

"We're going to do our best to make sure this is as memorable as possible in the short time we have," said Michele Young, the soon-to-be mother-in-law.

Sudden life-changing decisions are nothing new for these young lovebirds.

Pvt. Young, a 2003 graduate of Broadneck High School, said he and his girlfriend, a 2004 Severna Park High School alum, hadn't really planned to join the military.

"We just decided to do it last year," said the newly minted infantryman. "I believe in what our country is doing and wanted to do something for it."

Pvt. May, who's now a legal assistant with the Marines, said she was tired of doing administrative work at a car dealership and saw the service as a chance to do more with her life.

The newlyweds won't have long for a honeymoon. Pvt. Young will head to Camp LeJeune, N.C., on Jan. 23 for 52 days of infantry training. And two weeks later, on Feb. 6, Pvt. May will leave for 21 days of basic Marine combat training at Camp Johnson, N.C.

Even when the two are out of their respective schools, they probably won't have long before they have to say goodbye again.

"I'll be overseas in no longer that nine months from now," said Pvt. Young. "It stinks, but we're looking more to the distant future than the near future."

Pvt. May seconded that.

"I wish we had more time, but I guess we'll get it in the end," she said, noting that if they can survive 13 weeks of nothing but letters, they can survive anything. "I think it's worth it."

http://www.hometownannapolis.com/photos/0116marines.jpg

Courtesy photo
Pvt. Jennifer May of Severna Park and Pvt. Christopher Young of Arnold, both fresh out of Marine Corps boot camp, are quickly planning a wedding before leaving for more training.

Ellie