PDA

View Full Version : Jesse Strong Marine Remembered In CNN Production

thedrifter
01-15-07, 04:04 PM
Jesse Strong Marine Remembered In CNN Production

BY GARY E. LINDSLEY, Staff Writer
Monday January 15, 2007

A television special about her son's death led to a telephone call which finally brought some feelings of relief to an Albany mother.

Jesse Strong, the son of Vicki and the Rev. Nathan Strong, died in an ambush in Iraq on Jan. 26, 2005.

Jesse's story, along with those of three other Marines killed in the "Ambush At The River Of Secrets," is being shown on CNN as an Anderson Cooper 360 encore presentation Jan. 26, Vicki said.

CNN shot footage of the Strongs and their community for the Anderson show.

Vicki Strong said an Iraqi woman saw an airing of the segment. The woman's husband called Strong from Montana the next day and asked if she would talk to her.

"She said what we are doing over there is giving people [in Iraq] hope," Strong said. "She just wanted to tell me how grateful she was. I had, for the first time, tears that were relief, instead of grief."

Jesse was in the U.S. Marine Reserve and was a member of Charlie Company, 4th Combat Engineer Battalion. Charlie Company was based in Lynchburg, Va.

Jesse graduated from Liberty University in Lynchburg, Va. in 2004 and was in his first semester in seminary when he was called to active duty. His unit was sent to Iraq in August 2004 and was on patrol the night of Jan. 26, 2005, along the Euphrates River near Baghdad. They were sent to check out a location when they came under gunfire, according to the CNN special.

They were fleeing from a small town to regroup after the fire fight and make a counterattack, according to the special, when Strong's HUMVEE was struck by a rocket propelled grenade. He was killed instantly. He was only 24.

Strong said her son became interested in the military when he saw military recruiters at the site he was taking his SATs. He immediately went to the Marine recruiter.

"He thought (the Marines) would be a challenge," Strong said. "When he was told he was going to Iraq, he was fine. He was willing, but mostly worried about Mom and Dad."

Jesse thought being in the Marines would be a good way to pay off his bills, she said.

"He was happy to be in seminary and he was happy to be a Marine," Strong said. "That semester (in seminary) helped him because in Iraq, he was called upon as a chaplain."

Though others in his unit relied on him for his spiritual guidance, he was not going to be a minister. Strong said her son had not decided what he was going to do.

"The night he set out, he led a prayer," she said, referring to the Ambush at the River of Secrets. "I think he will have a long-time impact on the men he served with. They saw his faith, and with his death, it was even more of an impact."

Regarding the CNN special about the ambush, Strong said the television crew spent about six hours in Albany.

She and her family were asked how they felt about the ambush. Strong told them the first year was the toughest, dealing with shock and grief. And the families of the three other Marines slain in the ambush have become close with the Strongs.

"We are much stronger," Strong said. "Interestingly enough, our faith is stronger than ever. There is no darkness or feelings or despair."

She said the special shows actual footage of the ambush. Strong has been asked if it was difficult watching it. She said she kind of held her breath, hoping it would not be politically slanted.

"But they did a great job with it," she said. "Overall, we learned some things about that night. At the end of the show, they show footage of me speaking about having no regrets about my son's death and knowing some day Iraq will prosper."

Strong said she and her husband are both proud of the country's servicemen and servicewomen.

"We feel very much indebted to them for our country's freedom," she said.

Ellie