PDA

View Full Version : Eager for dad to come home from Iraq, son presents special flag to American Legion

thedrifter
01-15-07, 02:36 PM
Eager for dad to come home from Iraq, son presents special flag to American Legion

By Natalie J. Ostgaard, City Editor

Although he'll have to wait a few more months before his father, a National Guard soldier serving in Iraq, comes home to stay, six-year-old Austin Cassavant felt a little like he was walking in his shoes Friday night as he presented a case holding a certificate and flag, folded military-style, to the Crookston American Legion. All the while, Austin was wearing his own kid-sized uniform - fatigues his father had purchased for him, complete with the name "Cassavant" emblazoned on the back of the cap.

"It's cool," Austin, who lives near Detroit Lakes with his father and mother, Jill, said shyly of the honor. "I wish my dad was here to do it instead, but I know why he can't."

Austin's father, Sgt. 1st Class Corey Cassavant, purchased the flag so it could be flown in an airplane during a mission over Camp Fallujah in Iraq, for the Crookston American Legion and Auxiliary. This particular flag flew over the U.S. Marines base Nov. 11, 2006, as attested to on the certificate. Cassavant purchased flags for family members as well.

"They were flown on Sept. 11," his mother, Jamie Cassavant, explained. "It makes sense because the events of Sept. 11 five years ago started this all."

Sgt. Cassavant is a member of Crookston and Thief River Falls-based Company B, 2nd Battalion, 136th Infantry of First Brigade Combat Team of the 34th Infantry Division, which has had its tour of duty in Iraq extended by as much as 125 days. The soldiers were set to return to the States in March and April, but it could be as late as July or August now.

"I've got a lot to tell him and show him," Austin said about his dad's return. "I hope he gets home way before school starts so we have time to do some things."

Family Readiness Group

Upon the suggestion of their son, Bill and Jamie Cassavant decided to head up the Crookston Family Readiness Group before his unit headed to Iraq. The CFRG provides support, information and other resources as needed to the families of military personnel.

The group is now looking at more ways it can help families cope with the extended absence of their loved ones. The Cassavants hope to bring in a few inspirational speakers and other activities to the monthly meetings at Happy Joe's that will add a bright spot to attendees.

"Some are expressing a lot of frustration about this extension," said Jamie Cassavant. "It seems to be hitting families with children especially hard. We can help them wait it out, bring encouragement and hope, and let them know everything will turn out all right. And we'll make sure they get the right information so they can comprehend what's going on."

For more information on the Crookston Family Readiness Group, contact the Cassavants at (218) 281-2047 or by e-mail at billsgrillin@arvig.net.

http://www.crookstontimes.com/content/articles/2007/01/15/news/11news1-2.jpg

Ellie