PDA

View Full Version : Reasons for signing up range from pride to paying for college

thedrifter
01-14-07, 11:31 AM
Reasons for signing up range from pride to paying for college
By LAURA COLLINS

Sunday, January 14, 2007 3:26 AM EST

SANDUSKY

For many students the option to join the military is just that -- an option they choose to take, or not.

As seniors, most students plan to enroll in college or work full-time after they graduate.

But a select few decide to join the armed services. Some to help pay for college, others for job security, and others because of a deep-rooted national pride.

For students who join the military, 100 percent of their college tuition is paid for as long as they maintain a "C" average.

"It gives everyone the opportunity to further their education regardless of whatever class their family might be in," said Marine Sgt. Daniel Blackwell.

Bellevue Principal Francis Scruci said allowing military recruiters in the school is all about giving the students options.

"Today, kids have so many different interests," Scruci said. "Not every kid is going to go to college, so we try to expose them to as many things as we can."

Between Oct. 1, 2005, and Sept. 30, 2006, more than180,500 people nationwide were recruited into the Army, Navy, Marine Corps and Air Force.

Sandusky High School senior Adam Fitzpatrick was one of them.

On Sept. 11, 2006, Fitzpatrick was sworn in as a Marine. As he was preparing the night before, the national significance of the following day hadn't registered with him.

"I didn't even realize it," he said. "I wanted to do something in the military when 9/11 happened. The fact that I got to swear in on that day made it ten times better."

As a student at Sandusky, Fitzpatrick knew he wanted to go into law enforcement as a career after graduating.

"I thought one of the ways to get me ahead in law enforcement would be to join the forces," Fitzpatrick said.

After making that decision for himself, he discussed it with his family. They encouraged him to consider all the branches before choosing a direction.

"I talked to every single branch," he said. "I talked to everyone I possibly could to get the most information possible."

After meeting with recruiters from every branch of the military, Fitzpatrick decided on the Marine Corps. He liked the feeling he got from the Marines as being part of something bigger and thought it would best prepare him for law enforcement.

"It gave me the most pride about belonging and seemed to have the most family pride," he said.

"Probably the No. 1 thing I will gain is confidence and everything I will need to be a leader."

Fitzpatrick and Blackwell wanted joining the Marines to be a family affair. They had a meeting where Fitzpatrick's parents and brother was there.

"They encourage your family to be there and know what you are getting into," Fitzpatrick said. "They can ask questions about the job and everything I have to do to qualify for it."

Currently Fitzpatrick's main focus is finishing high school. Once a month, however, he attends "poolee functions." A poolee is someone waiting to go to boot camp. The functions help to get them prepared.

"We get them physically and mentally prepared," Blackwell said. "We take them on runs, tell them about general orders, the uniform code and military justice."

After graduation, Fitzpatrick will ship out in early June for boot camp.

"Of course I'm nervous. I've heard the stories and seen the movies, but more or less I'm using it to challenge me," Fitzpatrick said. "It's kind of like nervous excited. I don't know which one's greater."

As far as war goes, Fitzpatrick said he is aware it's a possibility.

"I'm not looking forward to it, but I would go," he said. "I'm proud to do something for my country that would make a difference. I would do it."

Ellie