PDA

View Full Version : Person of the Week: Mary Moreno

thedrifter
01-12-07, 07:57 PM
Person of the Week: Mary Moreno
As Her Son Fought in Iraq, Military Mom Formed a Troop at Home

Jan. 12, 2007 — - When Mary Moreno's son announced his intention to join the Marines, he was prepared for battle, but for his parents it was not that simple.

Kenny Moreno was 17 when he enlisted and later shipped off to Iraq.

"Months went by before we heard from him," Moreno said. "[My] husband said, 'He's in God's hands,' but I'm a mom. … I wanted to hear my son's voice."

She would wake up praying and kept her cell phone close by at all times as she struggled to cope with her son away in battle.

"I felt like I was alone and nobody understood," she said. "I kind of closed myself down."

She would get in her car and drive aimlessly and said there was just a "hole" in her heart.

Moreno saw a doctor who prescribed antidepressents, but she said the medication did not help. "I needed to be surrounded by people like me. I needed other mothers. I needed to be with families who knew what I was going through," she said.

Motivating Moms

Moreno decided to start a support group and advertised in the newspaper to join with other mothers who had sons in Iraq.

Four years later, there are 100 women in the group, called Military Moms and Wives of Brazoria County.

They send care packages to the troops, add names of the fallen to a memorial fence and go to every funeral in their area.

Most of all, they talk to one another and find strength. "In the middle of the night … I could call one of my 'moms' and she'd be here at my front door," Moreno said.

Her son, Marine Corp. Kenneth Moreno, is home now after serving two tours of duty in Iraq. He is a reservist and could be called back again, at any time.

Moreno said it's scary not knowing if her son will be called back to serve, but if he is, she's ready.

"I'm a stronger person now. I have a big support group now," she said. "I feel like I'm battle ready."

Ellie