PDA

View Full Version : Students Still Choosing Military

thedrifter
01-12-07, 06:41 AM
Students Still Choosing Military
Last Update: 1/11/2007 7:02:23 PM

Posted By: Sean Carroll

Big Flats

A change in President Bush's war strategy means more than 20,000 American troops could be heading to Iraq. Despite Wednesday night's controversial announcement, four high school seniors are not deterred from choosing a career in the military.

The Elmira Free Academy seniors are already committed to the U.S. Marine Corps once they graduate high school this summer. Recruiters say that's the most commitments in one year from E.F.A. that they've ever seen. Each of the four seniors, two girls and two boys, tell WETM-18 News they're choosing the Marines because they feel it's the best fit for them.

Although we weren't allowed to discuss the War in Iraq directly with these recruits, each did say it's not something they're thinking about anyway.

"In these dangerous times, the United States is blessed to have extraordinary and selfless men and women willing to step forward and defend us," President George Bush said Wednesday night in his address to the nation. The speech laid out a new strategy for the War in Iraq, but also paid thanks to those men and women fighting that war.

Four of those extraordinary men and women who are willing to step forward to defend us are still seniors in high school. When they graduate they'll begin serving our country as members of the Marine Corps. Serving a country, they know, is at war.

"I watch the news with my dad, and my step-mom, and I keep an eye on the worldly affairs," Nikko Franchi, one of the recruits and E.F.A. seniors said.

"I've paid attention to what happens in the world, I look it up and I do a little bit of research and stuff," Jon Peralta said. "It (the war) is just not something that's bothering me, and with what I hope to do I just hope that I can stay out of whatever trouble might be going on."

"I'm a patriot, I'm not a politician," Anna Ryan said, practically dismissing the idea that the war would play any role in her decision. "I want to do something with my life, and say I did something, and I didn't just stay home and do nothing."

Each of these four young seniors said they have family members who've already chosen the military.

"Two of my uncles joined and one of my cousins," Jami Cade said. She added that one of her uncles passed away recently and Cade has dedicated her service to him.

"A lot of my family is enlisted into any form of the Military, my dad was a Navy Corpsman," Franchi said.

Each of these young men and women could go to college now, but would rather be Marines first.

"I don't figure I'm cut out for flat out college, I need a little discipline before I go," Franchi said.

Peralta will actually graduate high school with 26 college credits thanks to his advance placement classes in high school. "That means I'll be able to graduate boot camp as a Private First class, instead of just a private."

"There are benefits that will help you do anything you want to, Anna Ryan said. I can start my own restaurant, I can go to college, I can do all that."

Marine Recruiters tell WETM-18 News that over the last seven years they've seen a slow, but steady, increase in high school seniors choosing to join the Marine Corps after they graduate. Across the Twin Tiers roughly 90 seniors will do so once they graduate in June.

Ellie