PDA

View Full Version : Tattoo waiver

robg9178
01-11-07, 08:43 PM
Man, I will tell you. For some reason, I am worrying about this tattoo waiver. I dont have any on my hands, neck or head. Part of it shows on my rt arm under my skivies. I probably shouldn't worry, but I am. Has anyone else had to have one. I just look forward to when I can go to recruit training and become a member of this illustrious group

Rob

Robertsjay
01-11-07, 10:01 PM
You should get a waiver no problem. I know people who have had entire body parts tattooed and got waivers

robg9178
01-11-07, 10:04 PM
cool, kind of worried. Just dont want anything to come in between me becoming a Marine

esaldana817
01-11-07, 10:30 PM
cool, kind of worried. Just dont want anything to come in between me becoming a Marine

As long as it's not gang or racism related, it's waiverable. They'll take a picture of it and describe it on paper.

Echo_Four_Bravo
01-12-07, 12:18 AM

Too bad you didn't think of that before you got it done.

But, it shouldn't be a problem.

robg9178
01-12-07, 06:11 AM
They are not racist or gang related. I would definitly not change getting them done, I like them and want more. I just didnt know the Marines were strict about tattoos

BR34
01-13-07, 08:35 PM
I have 4. A couple of them visible in Charlies. Waiver was no problem.

robg9178
01-14-07, 11:57 AM
Cool, I am thinking the same thing, but just that bit of uncertainty

Marine43
01-14-07, 01:14 PM
Just sign up quick before they get that new rule put in about tats showing outside the charlies....but thats gonna take a while and i personally dont think its going to pass anyways....ive seen tats on marines that go all the way down their forearms...lol...its all good dont sweat it.....OOORAH?

Semper Fi
PFC Fritz, USMC
7th Comm, Camp Hansen, Okinawa
1341/Heavy Equipment Operator.....OOORAH

Master Sephiroth
01-14-07, 01:39 PM
Do they happen to be Marine Corps tattoos

thedrifter
01-14-07, 02:17 PM
Marine Corps plans to review tattoo policy

CAMP FOSTER, Okinawa (Jan 12, 2007) -- As the size, frequency and meaning of tattoos continues to change with the times, the Marine Corps will review its policy for the fourth consecutive year this summer to determine what is the best policy, Marine Corps officials said recently.

Marine Corps sergeants major plan to review the policy during the 2007 Sergeants Major Symposium in the summer, according to Sgt. Maj. Robert E. Mastriano, the Marine Corps Bases Japan and Marine Corps Base Camp Butler sergeant major.

According to the current Marine Corps Order, P1020.34G, tattoos or brands on the neck and hands are strictly forbidden. Tattoos or brands on other areas of the body that are prejudicial to good order, discipline and morale, or are of a nature to bring discredit upon the Marine Corps are also prohibited.

Since 2003, there have been several proposed changes. Among them is an initiative to prohibit Marines from getting sleeve tattoos, or tattoos that cover the whole arm.

Though not forbidden, excessive tattoos, especially those visible in service C and summer physical training uniforms, often disqualify Marines from special billets and officer programs, Mastriano said.

Marine Corps Recruiting Command and Marine Security Guard Battalion have strict policies and standards for determining eligibility for recruiting or MSG duty. Applicants are often disqualified for having tattoos that are visible while wearing physical training gear, he said.

The Army recently revised its tattoo policy in an effort to bolster recruitment. The service now permits tattoos on the hands and back of the neck if they are not "extremist, indecent, sexist or racist." Tattoos on the back of the neck can not extend above the class A uniform collar.

Mastriano said the Army's new policy is designed to maintain their recruiting goals, which is a problem the Marine Corps does not have.

"We only have to recruit 30,000 a year," Mastriano said. "The Army has to recruit four times as many. There are many reasons why the population joins the Marines, and there will always be those willing to join the Corps either out of a patriotic sense of duty or adventure."

Those found in violation of the current order or any future revisions may be subject to non-judicial punishment, and staff noncommissioned officers will report violators, Mastriano said.

Marines who currently have sleeve tattoos will be "grandfathered," or suffer no punishment, in the event of a stricter tattoo policy. But Mastriano warns that it can inhibit their careers by affecting promotions and preventing them from serving in special and high visibility billets.

Mastriano also said excessive tattoos can affect a Marine's marketability in the workplace once they leave the Corps.

Ellie

robg9178
01-14-07, 02:25 PM
Well I do plan on Getting more. If I do. They will be covered. I get them purely for my enjoyment, not of others. But I will keep it in mind

christine_06
01-15-07, 08:01 PM
Tattoo waviers are a little harder to get now but you should be good to go depending on what your tattoo is of. I went to boot camp with a tattoo wavier for the tear drop that's on my hand but it's not gang related. The tattoo regulations are getting a little stricter so just be mindful of what kind of tattoos you get and where you get them.

robg9178
01-17-07, 08:59 PM
Well I will know tomorrow about my waiver, hopefully it will be good news. Then I can go to San Deigo this weekend for meps

robg9178
01-18-07, 09:06 PM
Well unfortunatly my waiver was denied. I appreciate all the support I got on this site. I will have to look at other ways of serving my country. Thank you very much

BR34
01-19-07, 10:20 AM
Sorry to hear that!

I have one on my left forearm, another on my right wrist, and one on my upper back/neck that shows (just barely) in a t-shirt and I managed to have my waiver approved.

What was your tattoo of?

ggyoung
01-19-07, 10:30 AM
If I remember right dorning the 1960's and 70's if you wanted State Deportment duty you could not have any tattoo's. Something to think about.

mesaRAT488
01-19-07, 10:48 AM
BRO - when you ship to MCRD is there still a chance they can kick you out for your tats, or does the waiver protect you?

BR34
01-19-07, 10:52 AM
BRO - when you ship to MCRD is there still a chance they can kick you out for your tats, or does the waiver protect you?

I'm just a Poolee. I have no clue. But as far as I know my waiver(s) were approved by a Commander that's at Parris Island so logic would dictate that they should be good to go for my entire enlistment.

Master Sephiroth
01-19-07, 11:26 AM
This topic has been discussed already...

EYEMONE
01-03-09, 05:15 PM
:iwo: i need 4 wavers to be able to go to boot camp im 33 , married w/ kids a dwi 6 yrs ago and 13 tattoos
i want nothing more than to earn the title "united states marine" the corps has allways been on my mind over the years and now i want to comfortably , maturely , and confidantly serve the corps and nation , and die if needed id rather die on a battlefield with honor than in the states as a civilian

wavers for the age , dependants , and dwi i dont think will be a problem but im covered in ink , and cant find anything positive on the net about the amount of ink i have none of wich is of gang or racist nature

i understand where the corps is coming from and there need for strict rules , its history and heratage are among the last of a few goog qualitys in america

if by some miricale i am cleard i know i would never fail the corps i am in good shape for not taking care of my self all these years (still got that high school 6-pack)

can any marine out there help me - even though i cant want to , ill join the army in order to serve the nation . mainly i want security for my family (my core)

SGT7477
01-03-09, 06:14 PM
For one you may be too old and another it depends where the tats are, it doesn't look good for you.

BR34
01-03-09, 06:27 PM
You are really going to hate life when you're 34 and possibly have a 17 year old telling you what you can/can't do.

rosary9mm
01-04-09, 01:32 PM
I got my tattoo waived no problem. but as far as the age thing, the Corps stops at 29. I was in my recruiters office the other day, filling out my paperwork, and a gentleman came in asking about the age, my S Sgt. said you have to be 28 at the time of arrival at MRCD. You can turn 29 at MCRD but you have to go in at 28.

Brendancihi
01-05-09, 09:31 PM
To RobG9178 im sorry to hear about your waiver being denied.... I am in the process of having two waivers sent in, one for my DWI (Ive completed all requirements, community service, restitution and Alcohol Edu. classes) and another for my tattoos. All are very small nothing close to a sleeve. But I worry about the 3 that are visible in PT clothes. The words "Aequitas Veritas = Truth and Justice on each forearm, a fish on my calf and another small mark on my ankle. Will the number of my tattoos in combination with my DWI disqualify me?

brovowisky
02-14-09, 10:40 AM
Can someone post the new tattoo policy or tell where to find it. When i was in the policy was that as long as you could not see the tattoo in your Bravos or Alphas you where fine. I am looking at re-enlisting and would like to make sure my tattoo fit the regulations.
Thanks

mbrazil
02-14-09, 04:43 PM
Can someone post the new tattoo policy or tell where to find it. When i was in the policy was that as long as you could not see the tattoo in your Bravos or Alphas you where fine. I am looking at re-enlisting and would like to make sure my tattoo fit the regulations.
Thanks

Google magic my friend! :beer:

http://usmilitary.about.com/od/marines/a/tattoo.htm

SGT7477
02-14-09, 04:47 PM
Thanks
I don't know what it is for sure but there was a Marine Sgt. on the Steve Wilkos show and both upper arms were covered with tats.:flag:

BR34
02-14-09, 05:32 PM
I don't know what it is for sure but there was a Marine Sgt. on the Steve Wilkos show and both upper arms were covered with tats.:flag:

He was probably grandfathered in. The policy confuses me a bit, so I've decided to just not get any tattoo visible in ANY uniform. All of my rest are already waived.

SGT7477
02-14-09, 06:09 PM
He was probably grandfathered in. The policy confuses me a bit, so I've decided to just not get any tattoo visible in ANY uniform. All of my rest are already waived.
So he would of had to have the tats before he was in our Corps?:flag:

BR34
02-14-09, 10:08 PM
The way I understand it, and I could be wrong, if it's upper arm sleeves then he may have had them before the new policy took effect.

brovowisky
02-15-09, 04:14 PM
Thanks for the Regs. I am looking at going back into the corp and i have both arms that are half sleeves from the elbow up. They were done when i was on active duty so would they be grandfathered in or would there have to be a wavier? Also it seemed kinda vague can you still get tattoos below the pt shirt line as long as you are not doing a sleeve, and was there something that happened to cause this change from not being able to see them in you bravos to not being able to see them in your pt gear. Thanks again

BR34
02-15-09, 04:43 PM
Sorry, Sgt, I'm not 100% sure on the reg., or why it was changed. I can tell you though that you can still get tattoos that are visible, ie; forearms, as long as they are a certain size (couldn't tell you for sure what size they can or can't be but I seem to remember someone saying as long as they can be covered by your hand you should be good).

None of what I say should be taken as the gospel though, because it's been quite a while since I even glanced at the tattoo reg.

jetdoc
02-16-09, 04:25 PM
PC sucks. As Young, or someone posted a few pages ago, back in the day exposed tats would prevent you from Embassy duty but thats about it. I understand sleeves and such are more common, however I know of more than one guy that couldn't get in because of a few tattoo's. These guys would've probably been good Marines.

One went into the Navy.