PDA

View Full Version : Hackler stationed with Marines in Korea

thedrifter
01-11-07, 06:57 AM
01/11/2007
Hackler stationed with Marines in Korea

SOUTH KOREA - At first glance everything about this U.S. air base just south of the capital city of Seoul makes it look like any other base around the world.

Modern barracks, plenty of American restaurants, tons of local shopping, even a golf course make the base one of the better assignments in Korea. But for the son of an Eagle couple, it's not the obvious that made this temporary duty assignment also one of the most tense in the world.

Marine Corps Master Sgt. John S. Hackler, son of Andrew and Elizabeth Hackler of Eagle, is a member of the Fixed Marine Fighter Attack Wing VMFA-115, also known as the Silver Eagles, normally based out of Marine Corps Air Station Beaufort, S.C.

Hackler, a division chief, recently performed joint training with the 36th and 25th Fighter Squadrons, two F/A-18 Hornet units. Working hand in hand with Osan's fighter squadrons on air-to air- and air-to-ground combat training, the Marines performed air combat training, which helped them maneuver with different jets. It also gave them a chance to recognize different aircraft, their threat and how well they can take control of the airspace.

"I help provide aviation maintenance and supply support," said Hackler, who graduated in 1982 from South High School, Pueblo, Colo., and received a bachelor's degree in 2003 from Chaminade University of Honolulu, Hawaii.

As the most forward deployed wing in the world, the men and women of the 51st Fighter Wing are capable of providing combat ready forces in a moment's notice. Recent events in North Korea have reinforced the need for the men and women to always be alert and ready for action.

"The situation in North Korea has not changed our mission at all. We still train the way we fight," he said.

Being in Korea, where the sights and smells are like nothing ever encountered in the United States, can be an eye opener. "I love the people, the food, the culture and the weather," Hackler said.

Even though they have some of the creature comforts of home, being separated from loved ones can make it hard to stay focused on readiness. "I am used to being away from home for the holidays. If we are supporting the mission, it doesn't bother me to be away," said Hackler.

Although most people consider this to be the "garden spot" assignment in Korea, Hackler and his fellow Marines, know that danger is only minutes away.

Ellie