PDA

View Full Version : Sergeant recognized for rescuing Iraqi child, assisting fellow Marine

thedrifter
01-10-07, 10:59 PM
Sergeant recognized for rescuing Iraqi child, assisting fellow Marine
By Mark Woodbury
Wednesday, January 10, 2007 - Updated: 01:41 PM EST

“It just had to be done,” said Sgt. Matt Nelson about the actions he took to save a young Iraqi girl and assist a fellow Marine during a Fallujah shootout in mid-September. “Any decent human would have done the same thing.”

The mission was like many others Nelson, son of Dwight Nelson, program integrator with DCMA (the Defense Contract Management) AgencyAircraft Propulsion Operations in Lynn, had been a part of in the past.

The mission was “to draw out insurgents we knew were in the area,” he said.

Like missions in the past, drawing out those insurgents was successful when Nelson and his Marines took machine gun, AK-47, and sniper fire while patrolling the area.

The gunfire immediately put Nelson’s training and adrenaline into high gear, he said.

He went about identifying where the gunfire was coming from and promptly returned fire while continuing to maneuver around a building to take cover.

In the craziness of the moment, a local Iraqi family fleeing to their home to escape the gunfire forgot to grab their two-year-old daughter who, Nelson said, “sat in the open, crying her eyes out.”

This was when Nelson “decided to take action,” as he put it.

He simply thought, “Here I go. I hope I don’t get shot,” before running from cover, scooping up the child, and bringing her back to the safety of her parents, who were arguing about which one should go got out and save their daughter.

“The parents both seemed very grateful to have their daughter out of harm’s way and safely with them in their home,” Nelson said.

Nelson then quickly rejoined the fight – clearing homes along the way – when later a fellow Marine fell while trying to carry a radio and a confiscated AK-47 while running through the “kill zone.”

Once again, Nelson said, he had an opportunity to help someone and sprang into action, helping the Marine to his feet and out of the “kill zone” without injury.

Around this time, Marines from a different company left the covert position with another sniper team to assist Nelson and his Marines.

Nelson “truly believes their presence made the Western element of the ambush displace.”

This eventually led to the insurgents either being eliminated or fleeing the area.

“It was a good day. No Marines were hurt, and we eventually took out the insurgents,” he said. “Also, through this event, I know we were able to win over the hearts and minds of at least one Iraqi family that day.”

In hearing of his son’s actions, Dwight Nelson said, “It didn’t surprise me one bit. Our family, along with Matt, realizes this global war on terror is not just about us and our security, it is also about helping the Iraqi people achieve peace, liberty, and stability.”

The younger Nelson said his ultimate hope for the people of Iraq is that the insurgency will eventually be wiped out there and one day they can truly be free.

Nelson returned home in October after a seven-month tour in Iraq.

He is a reservist with the 1st Battalion, 25th Regiment, 4th Marine Division out of Ft. Devens.

Mark Woodbury works in the DCMA Congressional and public affairs office.

Ellie