PDA

View Full Version : Religion at bootcamp

POOLEE-REYNOLDS
01-10-07, 09:05 PM
I know we are aloud to go on sundays to service but can we bring a bible or anything that has to do with religion as in cross or what not? because to me i am big in to my religion and its a motivation to me? Poolee Reynolds:flag:

JIPeterson
01-10-07, 09:09 PM
I believe that you can bring a bible and a cross, but I probably will check on that.

TylerA23
01-10-07, 09:52 PM
I saw at Meps those pocket bibles...they were camo

POOLEE-REYNOLDS
01-10-07, 11:02 PM
Yea i seen those to but i just wanted 2 clear some info up.

SkilletsUSMC
01-11-07, 12:04 AM
Yea i seen those to but i just wanted 2 clear some info up.

I think you can bring a bible, but I wouldnt, just so you wont draw too much attention to yourself... Jesus knows you love him:D

Anyway, There is ample time for church in bootcamp...

POOLEE-REYNOLDS
01-11-07, 12:13 AM
yea after i posted i got to thinking how it would suck to be the first person to get eyes drawn on for having a bible. but thanks for the info

Echo_Four_Bravo
01-11-07, 02:11 AM
They have us a small New Testament on the first day we were there. I am sure they will get you one quickly as well. Leave crosses and things like that at home. You can't wear them and when you dump your foot lockers into a giant pile you will probably never see it again.

Achped
01-11-07, 08:46 AM
As drillinstructor said, "I'd much rather hear poolees come on here and say 'I'll do anything to earn the title' rather than 'Can I bring a Bible and a cross with me?'"

Think about it, I'm a Christian too. But are you really going to need that cross with you for "moto"? God isn't in an emblem, God is God, in fact, God would probably rather you talk to him directly than focus so much on some symbol meant to be worn around your neck.

HardJedi
01-11-07, 09:31 AM
I am not sure about these day's but when i was in boot, our dril instructors said this to us. " we respect all different religions, and feel free to practice any religion you like, as long as you go to either catholic or protestant services with everyone else"

in other words, no one in MY platoon at least, got to go to services on sat. ( Jews, 7th day adventists)

as others have said, leave the cross at home, it will just get lost.

POOLEE-REYNOLDS
01-11-07, 09:35 AM
i see where your all coming off at. its good information and achped a cross to me is good moto we find moto in differnt things but i know if i had one it would get lost. i think i will end up not bringing anything that has to do with religion.

YLDNDN6
01-11-07, 10:58 AM
Reyolds: <br />
Your signature scares the crap out of me. Do yourself a favor while in boot camp, and don't say any of that stuff. They are likely to not want to give you a weapon. Marines may well rain...

Achped
01-11-07, 11:13 AM
YLDNDN6, its from the movie Boondock Saints, pretty good movie actually.

ggyoung
01-11-07, 11:40 AM
Being a LDS in bootcamp 1964 we were aloud to tack all our good books there wer 3 books that the LDS had in a pockit book sise. When I got to MCRDSD there was no LDS services. After we got back from the rifle range (camp Matthues) threre were LDS services and I got to go. They think that after the rifle range you can be trusted on your own. The Marine Corps do not want to screw you around about. The chaplens have a lot of power and they know how to use it.

YLDNDN6
01-11-07, 11:49 AM
Achped: I'll be sure to check it out. Having a houseful of kids, the wife and I tend to only be familiar with their movies. As I tell my friends, if it ain't animated, I ain't seen it!

hawks
01-11-07, 01:18 PM
If the worst thing of having a Bible and a Cross at boot camp is that the DI's will swarm you? WHO THE HELL CARES. PEOPLE DIED FOR THEIR RELIGION, if you are a true (insert religion here) you will not care if you get punished by someone for 3 months for being your religion. IF someone were to get on my case about being Catholic, you think I'd care what they say? Theyre not going to hurt you for it (the DI that is), it might draw attention to yourself but who cares. Far worse things have happened to people with the same religious views as me then being "killed" by a DI. How about actually being killed by someone because you are Catholic, or Jewish, or Muslim. If anything it will make your faith stronger.

Think about it, I'm a Christian too. But are you really going to need that cross with you for "moto"? God isn't in an emblem, God is God, in fact, God would probably rather you talk to him directly than focus so much on some symbol meant to be worn around your neck.
Are you serious? Why cant he have a cross as his motivation? In the end I think your faith will have more impact on you then what part of the military you were in or even if you were in the military. Dont criticize someone because they have high religious beliefs.

Not everything has to be USMC moto USMC moto. It can be moto coming from anywhere and everywhere. If he wants a cross to be his moto, who are you to tell him he cant or it is stupid?

YLDNDN6
01-11-07, 01:35 PM
Check yourself, Hawks. We are United States Marines you are addressing in here. We are speaking from our own experience for the benefit of you guys and gals. We don't make the policy, we just follow it. And we try to make the way easier for you guys that are coming behind us by posting answers to your questions and giving you some sort of preparation for what is ahead of you. As a matter of fact, boot camp IS all about my beloved Corps. Anything else is just a distraction. Keep your faith in God and use it to empower you to excel under extremely difficult circumstances. That would be commendable. But, don't disparage the system that is meticulously constructed from T1 to grad day to make you into a Marine. That's just disrespectful. As they said when I was in, if they wanted you to have it, they would have issued it to you in boot camp.

SkilletsUSMC
01-11-07, 01:40 PM
Are you serious? Why cant he have a cross as his motivation? In the end I think your faith will have more impact on you then what part of the military you were in or even if you were in the military. Dont criticize someone because they have high religious beliefs.

Not everything has to be USMC moto USMC moto. It can be moto coming from anywhere and everywhere. If he wants a cross to be his moto, who are you to tell him he cant or it is stupid?

First off, shut your suck hawks... I, or any other Marine here can and will criticize any poolie we want to.

Second, there is no problem with you or him being a christian at boot camp, but as far as a Crusifix neclace goes HE CANT WEAR IT, so he will loose it. Just Imagine if I wanted to wear a Pentical arround my neck if I were wiccan... Dont you think they are gonna start calling me Manson or something... When the DI knows YOU, you are gonna get more than your fair share....

Third, Marine Corps Boot Camp is about destroying your individuality, and his Neclace is only going to make him stick out. Trust me YOU DONT WANT THAT. Until you go to Boot Camp, you dont know what Drill Instructors do or dont do. Let me just tell you that there was a recruit that wore an Iron Burn on his face for the first 4 weeks.

Fourth, you had better believe that EVERYTHING in Boot Camp is USMC moto. Not to mention you are on Leatherneck.com for ****s sake.

hawks
01-11-07, 01:42 PM
I was quoting Achped in the bottom quote and just saying in the first paragraph that far worse things have happened to people that have kept their faith through trying times. To me, I'll say I'm Catholic and if I have to do a few extra pushups or work a little harder for it, thats fine by me. I'm not going to say I'm not a Catholic or not go to church or something because it might draw attention to me in boot camp, thats what one of the things of being Catholic is about, to keep your faith in hard and challenging times.
In summary, you shouldn't be scared or ashamed to be religious, they might make you do extra work, but its worth it.

hawks
01-11-07, 01:43 PM
First off, shut your suck hawks... I, or any other Marine here can and will criticize any poolie we want to.

Second, there is no problem with you or him being a christian at boot camp, but as far as a Crusifix neclace goes HE CANT WEAR IT, so he will loose it. Just Imagine if I wanted to wear a Pentical arround my neck if I were wiccan... Dont you think they are gonna start calling me Manson or something... When the DI knows YOU, you are gonna get more than your fair share....

Third, Marine Corps Boot Camp is about destroying your individuality, and his Neclace is only going to make him stick out. Trust me YOU DONT WANT THAT. Until you go to Boot Camp, you dont know what Drill Instructors do or dont do. Let me just tell you that there was a recruit that wore an Iron Burn on his face for the first 4 weeks.

Fourth, you had better believe that EVERYTHING in Boot Camp is USMC moto. Not to mention you are on Leatherneck.com for ****s sake. That quote was to achped, sorry for any misunderstanding. Also, I do understand what you are saying.

Fourth, you had better believe that EVERYTHING in Boot Camp is USMC moto. Not to mention you are on Leatherneck.com for ****s sake.
Edit: I think I misread what Achped originally stated, I thought he meant the cross as moto in general. In boot camp, I believe and understand you that EVERYTHING has to be USMC moto.

Marine84
01-11-07, 01:43 PM
Take a chill pill hawks - nobody has said his religion is stupid - it IS a pretty stupid idea to take a cross with you because YOU CANNOT WEAR IT! And you DON'T want to try to keep it in your footlocker simply because when a DI takes a notion to empty out ALL footlockers while you're out running that morning, the cross WILL get lost. And, if you think you're going to get the Corps to replace your lost cross, YOU'RE stupid!

SkilletsUSMC
01-11-07, 01:46 PM
That quote was to achped, sorry for any misunderstanding. Also, I do understand what you are saying.

Very well...

Once you go to boot camp you will be suprised how much religion is ECOURAGED... Your faith should be in your heart not arround your neck.

Marine84
01-11-07, 01:48 PM
Your faith should be in your heart not arround your neck.

AMEN to THAT!

YLDNDN6
01-11-07, 01:53 PM
The whole idea behind us telling you guys and gals not to wear your crucifix or other religeous medallions to boot camp is not entirely to keep you from being singled out for persecution, but for a much more fundamental reason. You WILL lose it at some point. That is an absolute guarantee. Practical sense says that if it belongs to me, and you want it, I will lose it somehow. Also, there are many, many times where every scrap of your platoon's gear is piled into the middle of the squadbay and you have two seconds to sort it out. Your personal effects WILL vanish. All you should have with you in boot camp is what you are issued when you arrive. Anything extra is a distraction, and you will not have time for distractions!

hawks
01-11-07, 02:05 PM
Very well...

Your faith should be in your heart not arround your neck.
I like that quote.

That being said, I do not wear a cross or anything like that. Also, I do not carry the Bible or anything (not saying that to do so is wrong or anything like that), but I was just trying to provide an example in a hypothetical situation (that I obviously did a bad job at explaining and setting up, but oh well).

Also, for the record, I understand what you are all saying, I didn't mean to p/o anyone for it.

SkilletsUSMC
01-11-07, 02:10 PM
I like that quote.

That being said, I do not wear a cross or anything like that. Also, I do not carry the Bible or anything (not saying that to do so is wrong or anything like that), but I was just trying to provide an example in a hypothetical situation (that I obviously did a bad job at explaining and setting up, but oh well).

Also, for the record, I understand what you are all saying, I didn't mean to p/o anyone for it.

Its all good,

Thick skin remember... just brush it off and keep chargin on.

Quinbo
01-11-07, 02:19 PM
When I went to boot camp, not only was going to church on Sunday encouraged but Lord help ya if you didn't go ;) There was always toilets that needed scrubbing, racks that needed tightening etc. for those that chose not to attend church service. I think they also have a non-denominational service for those that are not catholic or protestant.

hawks
01-11-07, 02:44 PM
I made a thread a while ago about what the services are like. Are they jsut like your regular sunday mass for an hour?

The1stSgt
01-11-07, 02:55 PM
Hawks, I'm a former Drill Instructor and what these Marines are telling you is true.

Person items are best left at home. You can pick up all your personal items when you're on boot camp leave.

These men aren't kidding you about having the entire platoon's footlockers dumped in the center of the squadbay and then being mixed up real good.

Then you are given a very, very, very short period to time to get your sh!t back in your own footlocker. Oh yeah, the footlocker are all mixed up too, and all the locks have been locked together in a big ball. "Have fun ladies".

When that kind of chaos is going on, you won't be mindful of some person item.

Kildars
01-11-07, 03:03 PM

A crusifix is a very important symbol, and all Catholics agree.

POOLEE-REYNOLDS
01-11-07, 04:46 PM
Dang i didnt mean to start this kind of stuff for this qustion. i was just askin if it was wise to take it or what not and from what i gathered its not smart yea i could see it all as a distraction. and the moto cross thing i see my religion as a moto and i can agree it doesnt have to me on my neck i was just seein if it could never hurt to ask tho. thanks for all the info on what not to bring( nothing ). and my sig its a very good movie and that prayer means alot and i was watchin a tv show and a Marine from india company recon said it just like that. thanks again for the info staying motivated POOLEE REYNOLDS.

Achped
01-11-07, 04:53 PM
Considering my mom and sister are catholic, I believe you.

But...what does that have to do with bringing one to boot camp? (Especially considering EVERY Marine in this thread has said not to do it?)

jtestani41
01-11-07, 05:08 PM
Hey im new to this site Hawks but i think you are over reacting a little bit....they have been through bootcamp and know what it is like

hawks
01-11-07, 09:11 PM
Actually, rereading the thread PooleeReynolds just asked if he could bring a cruicifix and a Bible. Now, I assumed he meant if he could just use it at the hour you get every night. When you assume, you make an a(* out of you and me though I guess. Though he never really stated if he could wear it around his neck, I got lost in the confusion. Anyways, I just thought he could you know, use the crucifix as his moto during the 1 hour at night and when he goes to bed or whatever...sorry for any confusion.

SmokeyBandit
01-11-07, 09:48 PM

Some Catholics myself included would even go so far as to say it is more than a symbol, just like our American Flag.

Marine84
01-12-07, 07:37 AM
It's all fine and good - whatever religion, whatever symbol. Just don't let the relgion get in the way of your mission as a Marine.

drumcorpssnare
01-12-07, 11:25 AM
Didn't Christ say "Render unto Ceasar what is Ceasar's..."? When you're in Marine Corps Boot Camp, you "render unto the Marine Corps."
Furthermore, God is much deeper than 'religion.' I never needed a cross or Bible to talk to God. I didn't need to be in a church. I would just 'think' about God, and he helped me get through boot camp. When I would talk to Him...I knew He was listening.

Think about it...
drumcorpssnare:usmc:

Worsham
01-12-07, 11:26 AM
When I went to PI last summer, we were provided a little ziploc baggie with a pocket sized bible, rosary beads and other religious pamphlets. Lots of people brought small bibles which they pulled out during the 5 minutes you are "supposed" to get for devotions every night.

Drehzahl7
01-12-07, 08:16 PM
this is quite interesting and i feel bad for reynolds... trouble starter there.. as far as i go, im just taking my bible and its bible cover.. i have things highlited that motivate me and help me get thru tough days.. as far as the cross goes.. i think thats a tough one.. as a christian, i dont believe in praying with anything in hand like crosses, or saint figures or etc.. etc.. i just need my bible because i have not yet memorized the whole thing, neither do i plan on anytime soon like before boot camp.. but hey, to each their own, i just appreciate what everyone on here who has gone thru boot camp has to offer.. i think the only downside to me taking my own bible is that its bigger than the pocket sized ones and it might take up alot of room in my foot locker, but oh well.. anyways... i think i will be attending church as much as possible... anyways.. i ship out on tuesday... monday head to the hotel and tusday ship out to mcrdsd wahoo.. cant wait to get mentally tortured...

SkilletsUSMC
01-12-07, 08:52 PM
this is quite interesting and i feel bad for reynolds... trouble starter there.. as far as i go, im just taking my bible and its bible cover.. i have things highlited that motivate me and help me get thru tough days.. as far as the cross goes.. i think thats a tough one.. as a christian, i dont believe in praying with anything in hand like crosses, or saint figures or etc.. etc.. i just need my bible because i have not yet memorized the whole thing, neither do i plan on anytime soon like before boot camp.. but hey, to each their own, i just appreciate what everyone on here who has gone thru boot camp has to offer.. i think the only downside to me taking my own bible is that its bigger than the pocket sized ones and it might take up alot of room in my foot locker, but oh well.. anyways... i think i will be attending church as much as possible... anyways.. i ship out on tuesday... monday head to the hotel and tusday ship out to mcrdsd wahoo.. cant wait to get mentally tortured...

Allrighty...

Go ahead and ignore the advice and bring your bible, and then report back to me about what shape its in on graduation day.

My guess is that is that the pages are falling out, and wrinkled, i.e. totally destroyed.

POOLEE-REYNOLDS
01-12-07, 10:40 PM
yea i wasnt tryin 2 start any confrintation what so ever. Just trying to learn some info while i am here so i wont get messed up like all the marines say.

Kildars
01-13-07, 05:27 PM
Considering my mom and sister are catholic, I believe you.

But...what does that have to do with bringing one to boot camp? (Especially considering EVERY Marine in this thread has said not to do it?)

You tried to downplay a crusifix saying it wasn't really needed to keep your faith in God strong. That's like downplaying the star of david to jews, or quran for muslims. I agree that you should take a break on your religion at boot camp, but most likely if I went I would bring a rosary and try to hold on it as best as I could. I would not let it get in the way, just hang it up with the rest of my stuff and at least have it there. Catholic households usually have crusifix in at the master bedroom and living room.

At least my house does.

Kildars
01-13-07, 05:28 PM
Some Catholics myself included would even go so far as to say it is more than a symbol, just like our American Flag.
Very true. :thumbup:

SkilletsUSMC
01-13-07, 05:57 PM
You tried to downplay a crusifix saying it wasn't really needed to keep your faith in God strong. That's like downplaying the star of david to jews, or quran for muslims. I agree that you should take a break on your religion at boot camp, but most likely if I went I would bring a rosary and try to hold on it as best as I could. I would not let it get in the way, just hang it up with the rest of my stuff and at least have it there. Catholic households usually have crusifix in at the master bedroom and living room.

At least my house does.

Oh yeah... just hang it up right? where are you going to do that huh? in the big spacious walk-in closet they issue every recruit??? The same place that has all your civilian clothing hung up on coat hangers???

Kildars
01-13-07, 06:03 PM
Oh yeah... just hang it up right? where are you going to do that huh? in the big spacious walk-in closet they issue every recruit??? The same place that has all your civilian clothing hung up on coat hangers???

Or on your bed post, though the former would be better :)

FistFu68
01-13-07, 06:50 PM
:evilgrin:ENJOY THE BIBLE THUMPING~AT YOU'R BLANKET PARTY!!!:D

SkilletsUSMC
01-13-07, 08:06 PM
Or on your bed post, though the former would be better :)

You know what....

Start pushing NOW!!!

Youre done when Im tired.:mad:

I hope you are joking....

The1stSgt
01-13-07, 08:10 PM
Reynolds, you are going to do what you are going to do.

However, here are a few things to consider:

You won't be allow to wear a cross on your body.
You won't be allowed to carry it in your pocket or in other gear.
You won't be allow to hang it on your rack or gear attached to your rack.

So, that leaves your footlocker. Personal items, like a cross, will be kept in your footlocker.

If it means that much to you, take it. The risk, you may not be in possession of it when you graduate.

SmokeyBandit
01-13-07, 09:56 PM
How about on the Drill Instructors hatch?:P

Kildars
01-14-07, 01:16 AM
You know what....

Start pushing NOW!!!

Youre done when Im tired.:mad:

I hope you are joking....

Haha, I'm not joking. My cousin brought his rosary and it came back in fine condition. It may not be a good idea to openly request being able to pray or whatever -- but he brought his there and brought it back. It's very important to a lot of Catholics, like myself. I won't have to worry though, I can't go :P.

...still pushing.

Master Sephiroth
01-14-07, 06:28 AM
I don't mean to rude, but the question was asked and answered. Why are we still discussing this?

Achped
01-14-07, 09:31 AM

At least my house does.

Now I see why Accord didn't like you.

SmokeyBandit
01-14-07, 10:04 AM
Now I see why Accord didn't like you.
Cut it out fellas, we aint getting anywhere with this. I really doubt if someone brings a rosary they're going to washout of bootcamp. It might be just a little bit harder, but if someone wants to bring a rosary even if they're going to get thrashed for it, that's their problem. I can perfectly understand someone wanting to bring a rosary to bootcamp, however there is no reason to be an ass to another poolee just because you don't believe the same thing as him.

When I went to PI last summer, we were provided a little ziploc baggie with a pocket sized bible, rosary beads and other religious pamphlets. Lots of people brought small bibles which they pulled out during the 5 minutes you are "supposed" to get for devotions every night.
As you can see I think the Marine Worsham already answered the question.

Just shut up and stop the bickering and go earn the darn title!

Achped
01-14-07, 10:36 AM
I was never an ass to him, I just didn't appreciate him telling me what "I tried to do."...how would he know? Virtually every Marine in this thread said the same thing I did, but he tries to tell me what I tried to do by downplaying the crucifix.

It's over though.

Drehzahl7
01-14-07, 09:00 PM
im still taking my bible.. hah.. but yeah, i ship out tommorow for MCRDSD ... i was delayed a week but times upi again.. wish me luck .. i will see you all again in 3 months..

ggyoung
01-15-07, 06:00 PM
What about wedding rings?

poolee0311
01-15-07, 09:43 PM
nice hawks, i couldnt agree with you more

Hobson
01-17-07, 02:06 AM
I was never an ass to him, I just didn't appreciate him telling me what "I tried to do."...how would he know? Virtually every Marine in this thread said the same thing I did, but he tries to tell me what I tried to do by downplaying the crucifix.

It's over though. Hey poolee Listen here. What is one of the rules on this board? Personal attacks are not allowed -- Accord and Kildars did get along, they had mature debates and did not resort to immaturity as you have. You did downplay the crusifix saying that god would rather you talk to him then focus on a "symbol" HOW DO YOU KNOW THAT? ARE YOU GOD POOLEE? Just watch your mouth before you offend some folk around here you don't wanna offend and the next time you attack one of these poolees or Marines you will not be around. Read the rules. If you dont follow them, leave. Thats all. Carry On, Semper FI!

Hobson
01-17-07, 02:09 AM
Thank you for stepping up and taking charge Smokey this is a quality Marines NEED in the field.

baronius
01-17-07, 07:20 PM
If the worst thing of having a Bible and a Cross at boot camp is that the DI's will swarm you? WHO THE HELL CARES. PEOPLE DIED FOR THEIR RELIGION, if you are a true (insert religion here) you will not care if you get punished by someone for 3 months for being your religion. IF someone were to get on my case about being Catholic, you think I'd care what they say? Theyre not going to hurt you for it (the DI that is), it might draw attention to yourself but who cares. Far worse things have happened to people with the same religious views as me then being "killed" by a DI. How about actually being killed by someone because you are Catholic, or Jewish, or Muslim. If anything it will make your faith stronger.

You mentioned you are a Catholic. Are we allowed to wear a scapular under our shirts at bootcamp? I only take mine off when I'm in the shower.

3077India
01-17-07, 07:23 PM
I know we are aloud to go on sundays to service but can we bring a bible or anything that has to do with religion as in cross or what not? because to me i am big in to my religion and its a motivation to me? Poolee Reynolds:flag:Before I left for boot my recruiter told me 2 things, wear tenny shoes and you are allowed to bring a bible (the smaller the bible the better).

baronius
01-17-07, 07:25 PM
Take a chill pill hawks - nobody has said his religion is stupid - it IS a pretty stupid idea to take a cross with you because YOU CANNOT WEAR IT! And you DON'T want to try to keep it in your footlocker simply because when a DI takes a notion to empty out ALL footlockers while you're out running that morning, the cross WILL get lost. And, if you think you're going to get the Corps to replace your lost cross, YOU'RE stupid!
Do you think they may have changed this policy about not being able to wear religious medals or crosses? The little guidebook my recruiter gave me includes a list of items to bring to bootcamp and it mentions that we may wear religious medals or crosses on a long chain.

Achped
01-17-07, 08:04 PM
Mine says you may BRING them, not that you may wear them.

Achped
01-17-07, 08:05 PM
And even if you could wear it, do you honestly think after 3 months of crawling through the muck, diving in the pit, and falling off the confidence course it will still be there?

I haven't been there, so I wouldn't know. But the overwhelming consensus is to not bring one. So I'm not going to.

Kildars
01-17-07, 08:13 PM
[quote=Achped]Now I see why Accord didn't like you.[/quote

What a great response! :thumbup: Just FYI I don't know where you got where Accord does not like me, but we may have had differences, especially when we debated gun control and voting. Him and I talked in private and there are no personal issues between us, if you have one with me feel free to PM me and we can work this out -- like adults, not resorting to insults.