PDA

View Full Version : Young Marines...Future leaders

thedrifter
02-04-03, 09:42 AM
CAMP KINSER, Okinawa, Japan -- They look similar to Marines when dressed in their utility uniforms, but much shorter and younger looking.

Their nametapes say "Marines," but instead are called Young Marines because of their age.

American boys and girls who wish to earn the title "Young Marine" and become a part this organization must undergo orientation training called "Boot Camp," which is conducted by their instructors who are Marines.

Recently, 14 Young Marines graduated Boot Camp during a ceremony held at Kinser Surfside. The newest members, ages eight through 12, recently attended their first meeting as Young Marines. This followed their completion of the 26-hour Boot Camp course that was extended throughout several weekly meetings.

The course involved learning general Young Marine subjects such as U.S. history and traditions, customs and courtesies, close-order drill, proper wear of the Young Marine uniform, physical fitness and the military rank structure.

"The first day I didn't really like it, but I got used to it after a while," explained 12-year-old Devlin Coleman, one of the newest members of the program attending his first meeting. "The physical part was hard and everything else was good."

The challenges of being a Young Marine has only begun for these youngsters, as they continue to learn new skills, and earn rank and ribbon awards. This is accomplished through achievement in leadership, drug demand reduction, environmental stewardship, communication, community service and academic achievement.

The Young Marines meet these challenges during activities at home, school and while they are out in the community. They discuss their good deeds and accomplishments during their weekly meetings, hoping they are eligible to advance to the next rank.

"When I see them come, they have a good time," said Gunnery Sgt. Gary Belton, commanding officer, Young Marines Detachment here. "We teach them something that will help them better themselves in life."

The Young Marines can't be successful in the program on their own, of course. The instructors, who are volunteer active-duty Marines and Sailors, have a lot to do with their development as Young Marines through motivation and military discipline.

"It's an awesome program," said Lance Cpl. Amanda R. Hill, administrative clerk, Installation Personnel Administrative Center, 3rd Force Service Support Group, and Haleyville, Ala., native. "It's not just about the Marine part and the discipline we try to enforce. We talk a lot about what is going on in school and their peers."

The volunteers who run the program are individually screened and selected by the national headquarters in Washington, D.C., based on background information and recommendations provided with each applicant's registration package.

Hill and many of the other instructors have a special interest in working with young children, because they are either away from their own children or they just like spending time with them and helping young children develop to be responsible citizens. They also act as mentors by assisting them in schoolwork, dealing with peers and are closely involved with them during recreational activities and events they participate in during their weekly meetings.

"I volunteer a lot with the youth programs here and in the States," said Belton, a Patterson, N.J., native, who became the commanding officer in July 2002. "It's a lot of work, but I enjoy it."

The program is open to youth, ages eight through the completion of high school. However, interested people must attend Boot Camp in order to become a Young Marine. Boot Camp is conducted twice a year with the next scheduled Boot Camp to begin in March.

There are currently more than 240 Young Marine units in the U.S., Okinawa, Germany with more than 19,000 youth and 2,900 adult volunteers. In the last six years alone, the program grew from just 32 units and 1,000 Young Marines to its present strength.

The Marine Corps officially recognized the Young Marines as the focal organization for the Corps' contribution to Youth Drug Demand efforts. This is part of the national effort to "stem the tide" of drug abuse in response to the Secretary of Defense's establishment of programs reducing the demand for illegal drugs.

Sempers,

Roger

young_dog19
02-04-03, 09:50 AM
I wish I had something like that where I live. The nearest Young Marine Post is a little over 100 miles away.