PDA

View Full Version : A final farewell

thedrifter
01-10-07, 12:54 PM
PUBLISHED: Wednesday, January 10, 2007
A final farewell

by JENNIFER J. DECKER
STAFF REPORTER

Teardrops mixed with rain Saturday as a fallen soldier was laid to rest.

More than 300 people crowded Sts. Peter & Paul Catholic Church in North Branch for a somber 90-minute long funeral mass for U.S. Marine Corps Lance Cpl. Nicholas Miller.

Miller, 20, of Clifford and a 2005 Marlette High School graduate, was killed Dec. 28 while on patrol in Fallujah with two other Marines. He is believed to be the first area fatality from the war.

Also killed were Cpl. Christopher Easkelson of Vassar and a Tennessee soldier.

Father Richard Treml, pastor of Sts. Peter & Paul Catholic Church, presided at Miller's funeral mass. The choir sang "Amazing Grace," "Be Not Afraid," "On Eagle's Wings," and "How Great Thou Art" as emotions rippled raw through the crowd.

Treml said of Miller's death: "(It is) full circle from the waters of Baptism to the mass of Christian burial ... He was a good kid from Clifford and was loved by his family. Today is also a day of sadness for we never expect to lose someone so young. He was trying to sprout his wings with Marines."

Miller was described as enjoying hunting and was particularly proud of his first six-point buck he got at the age of 16 with his late grandfather, Richard. Miller also liked paintball, four-wheeling, poker, videos, bonfires, blackberry picking, and swimming.

Two women in the crowd donned T-shirts that said "Nick Miller, my hero" with huge hearts depicted.

"Our last breath we take is actually our first breath of eternity," Treml said. "He became a good man and Marine and paid the ultimate price of dying for us and his country."

The fallen soldier was referred to as "Miller Lite" by his fellow Marines, with whom he found a second home.

"Some of use never grow up, but Nick in his short time grew up," Treml said. "We don't know what the future may have been, but he completed his mission. God is always there waiting. When there's God — love is present. So Nick — mission accomplished."

Miller was a highly decorated soldier. He was the recipient of the Purple Heart, Combat Action Ribbon, National Defense Medal, Iraq Campaign Medal, Sea Service Deployment Ribbon, and the Armed Forces Reserve Medal.

A color guard served as pallbearers.

Miller's grandmother, Joan Pincumbe, said Monday she and the family were deeply moved by the service.

"I've never seen a military funeral other than on TV," said Miller's grandma, Joan Pincumbe. "It was amazing — the love. I can't describe the feeling ... I'm so appreciative. If I failed to thank someone it was an oversight. It's not because someone didn't care. My neighbors have been so wonderful with food."

Born June 3, 1986, Miller enlisted in the Marine Corps Reserve after high school. He was a member of the Reserve Unit 1st Battalion, 24th Marines in Saginaw. His unit arrived for duty in Iraq in September 2006.

Miller survived by his mother, Connie Pincumbe; father, Mark Miller; brother, Derek; sister, Felisha; grandmothers, Vivian Pincumbe and Gertrude Miller; aunts and uncles Dave and Dawn Light, Cheryl and Jim Sampson, Richard John Pincumbe Jr., Julie and Jim Timmreck, Dale and Dionne Pincumbe, Wayne Pincumbe and Veronica Dillon, Pamela and Tico Forero, Ronald and Amie Pincumbe, Jo and Jim Fischer, Connie and Louie Calterra, Michelle Miller, Bill Miller, Michael and Brenda Miller; and several cousins.

Burial was in a private ceremony at St. Patrick's Cemetery, Clifford.

Memorials may be made in Nicholas Miller's name to the American Cancer Society.

Jennifer J. Decker can be reached at 664-0811, Ext. 8125 or jennifer.decker@lapeergroup.com.

Ellie