PDA

View Full Version : Marine's Family Questions Possible Troop Surge

thedrifter
01-10-07, 07:00 AM
Marine's Family Questions Possible Troop Surge

Tue Jan 9, 7:16 PM ET

An Andover Marine and his family are speaking out about the possibility that an additional 20,000 troops may soon be sent to Iraq.

NewsCenter 5's Amalia Barreda reported that Patrick Robb joined the Marines and came home to a hero's welcome after serving in Iraq.

"I'm proud of my service and I'm glad that I went," Patrick Robb said.

His father is proud, too. But Don Robb said he never agreed with the war and he certainly doesn't support President George W. Bush's expected announcement to send 20,000 more troops to Iraq.

"He's talked about victory. I'd like him to define what that victory is because if by victory he means an Iraq that has accepted democracy and is functioning like a western democracy, I think it's a pipe dream," Don Robb said.

Patrick Robb, a staff sergeant, said he is trying to be a good Marine and follow his commander in chief.

"Obviously I'm going to agree with him no matter what he says. That's part of what I am. That's part of what I do. And go where I'm told when I'm told to go there, but obviously, you'd like to know the reasons behind it," he said.

Patrick and Don Robb said they agree with the new Democratic leadership, who said the president will have to justify his request. But they don't agree with Sen. Ted Kennedy's proposal requiring Congress to approve an escalation of troops.

"The president is in fact the commander in chief. And the deployment of troops is a military issue," Don Robb said.

"It's up to him to send them," said Patrick Robb.

Patrick Robb said he does not think that any escalation of troops would require him to go back for another tour of duty. If he does his father said he would have to support him, but he would be most unhappy.

"I don't think the American people have an answer to Iraq. I don't think anybody does. But now at least we're going to have some questions and some discussion before we plunge into something," Don Robb said.

Ellie