PDA

View Full Version : Military moms react to Iraq plan

thedrifter
01-09-07, 11:16 AM
Davenport, IA - John David reports
Military moms react to Iraq plan

Jan 9, 2007 09:42 AM

By John David

When it comes to sending more troops to Iraq, President Bush can expect the debate to continue from faraway places and close to home.

"I'm just really angry about it," said Caryn Unsicker.

"We're in a fight for our way of life," said Jan Anderson. "This is not a game."

Jan Anderson should know. Her son Christian served in war-torn Kosovo and Iraq. He's preparing now for a return to Afghanistan.

"Let's face it -- all of us would like the troops to come home," she said. "My son is going back for a third time."

Unsicker's son is preparing to return to Iraq with the Marines. But she doesn't buy the Bush Administration argument that sending more troops abroad will help to prevent attacks at home.

"We're making more enemies over there," she said. "It's increasing our odds of being attacked again because of our policies in Iraq."

Policies that touch American soldiers in a personal way. Their families left behind to hash it out.

"I think people ought to think a little more about what will happen if we pull out prematurely," Anderson said. "I think everyone realizes it would be a debacle."

"I think the American people have had it," Unsicker countered. "We want change and reform in this country."

Reform that reaches military families with an emotional impact.

"It's hard," Unsicker concluded. "It's hard on all the families."

"Every day is very difficult," Anderson said. "But I'm also very proud of my son."

Enduring pride from military moms who share very different views about the war.

Ellie