PDA

View Full Version : The Next Generation of Marines Prepare for War

thedrifter
01-09-07, 04:42 AM
The Next Generation of Marines Prepare for War
By: Yvette Martinez, Reporter
Last updated: 1/8/2007 10:47:03 PM

Local Marines are still mourning the loss of local Marine Lance Corporal William Koprince, just buried on Friday.

Marine recruiters say they know the risks, but it is even more important to train the next generation.

Everett Hudnell is an 18 year old senior at Karns High School, but when he graduates he will trade in his cap and gown for a camouflage uniform.

"My grandfather was a Marine and I think military is the best way for me," Hudnell explains.

Before Hudnell can become a Marine, he must train and prepare for bootcamp and possibly prepare for war in Iraq.

"If I get called to serve my country, that's what I'm signing up for that's what the military is for," Hudnell said.

To get Everett ready for what he could face, recruiters like Sergeant James West must prepare him for tough times ahead.
"The most important thing for me to is making sure they understand what is going on, the one thing I don't want to hide from these kids is they are Marines and they are eventually possibly go to Iraq," Sergeant West said.

Marine boot camp has been extended from 11 to 13 weeks to give recruits more training time. Recruiting videos have been updated to include footage from Iraq to help young men and women understand combat is a possibility.

"A lot can be thanked for technology of today, the training we give young men and women, we work hard to get these young men we want them home safe and back with their families," Master Sergeant John Daniels said.

Recruiters also meet with parents and provide video of boot camp to help them understand what military life is like now.
Hudnell leave for boot camp June 11th.

Ellie