PDA

View Full Version : Your most physically demaning training...

The1stSgt
01-09-07, 12:15 AM
I've done some pretty hard training during my time in the Corps, but the most physically demaining training I ever did was the BLT's (3/1) pre-deployment 25 mile hump in the mountains of Camp Pendleton.

We were allowed eight hours to complete it. Well, you know how that goes. We completed it in six hours and twenty minutes.

A girl scout could've kicked my butt at the end of that hump.

greensideout
01-09-07, 12:27 AM
Full gear or a light load? Just wondering?

jebollenbach
01-09-07, 01:32 AM
Humping the mountains at MCMWTC Bridgeport CA.

yellowwing
01-09-07, 02:16 AM
WSSI swim qual. It wouldn't have mattered if you were an Olympic swimmer. The instructors pushed you until you had absolutely nothing left. And then the fun and games really began... :D

The1stSgt
01-09-07, 06:25 AM
Greensideout, I doesn't matter, light or loaded, take your pick.

jryanjack
01-09-07, 07:24 AM
Did the mountains in Bridgeport and WSSI course - both were very tough - though I would have to say that WSSI was harder - I didn't make it though that one!

SuNmAN
01-09-07, 10:53 AM
Full gear or a light load? Just wondering?

I think 25 miles would be pretty darn tough even if you weren't carrying anything

outlaw3179
01-09-07, 11:16 AM
We had a company hike from the bottom of case Springs (sp?), walked to Las Pulgas , walked the back side of the ridgeline , up and down every single fu*king hill they could find, all the way down to Horno with combat load. I pretty much wanted to die. That hump truly truly fu**ing sucked.
What sucked even more was down bu Pulgas a Marine lost a sightbox for a mortar , and we had to sit down and wait in the middle of the night for over and hour while it was llocated. Then when we were nice and cold we had to get up and continue on with the incredible journey . **** that sucked.

outlaw3179
01-09-07, 11:18 AM
I've done some pretty hard training during my time in the Corps, but the most physically demaining training I ever did was the BLT's (3/1) pre-deployment 25 mile hump in the mountains of Camp Pendleton.

We were allowed eight hours to complete it. Well, you know how that goes. We completed it in six hours and twenty minutes.

A girl scout could've kicked my butt at the end of that hump.

lol...MCRESS's sucked balls.

rktect3j
01-09-07, 12:25 PM
I had some training when they created 1st CRC (Casulty Replacement Company) for the Persian Gulf War. We went to 29 palms and during about two weeks of training, which was not so bad in and of itself, we went on a 3 mile run with a light load and with our gas masks on. I am just not a good runner to begin with but that **** really kicked my ass. But the rest of the training was good.

FistFu68
01-09-07, 12:26 PM
:evilgrin: ON THE JOB~TRAINING!!!HUMPING THE MOUNTAIN'S OF SOUTH VIETNAM. LOADED FOR BEAR!!!THE ANKLE EXPRESS,SAW A MAN DIE MORE THAN ONCE;OF HEAT STROKE! ANYTHING BEFORE THAT FRIGGING HELL HOLE,WAS CANDY-AZZ!!! GUNG-HO~SEMPER~FI.:iwo:

SSGT DILL
01-10-07, 11:03 AM
I Know What You Mean. I Did A Thirty Miler In Okinawa And We Hump From The Barracks Out Pass The Rifle Range About 100 Times To Get The Miles.

Cpl BAJA
01-10-07, 11:33 AM
Hey Outlaw...how about those gear inspections after the MCRESS hump. I too spent time at Horno (back then they called it "Hump'en Horno").

maverickmarine
01-10-07, 11:48 AM
Had some pretty tough training and some pretty nasty humps but for me, being that swimming is not my strong suit, Combat Dive in Panama City was by far the toughest. I made it through obviously but they made sure to drown proof me a few times first, LOL. Good Training!

yellowwing
01-10-07, 11:57 AM
I made it through obviously but they made sure to drown proof me a few times first, LOL. Good Training!
Pretty exciting wasn't it? :D :banana:

Marine84
01-10-07, 12:00 PM
getting over those logs on the obstacle course.....................my short a$$ couldn't do it the way they wanted me to. Had to take a running jump, land on the log and fall on over it. Got yelled at for hours and had to do it over I don't know how many times - they FINALLY gave up on me and told me to carry the F*CK on. Good thing for me that the obstacle course wasn't required for us to graduate.

maverickmarine
01-10-07, 12:01 PM
Absolutely!!!! Glad I made it through, that is one course you don't want to repeat, LOL.

DaPutster
01-10-07, 01:40 PM
Tip to tip (~37 miles) full gear hump on Diego Garcia.

Zulu 36
01-10-07, 02:55 PM
Without question, the worst was humping the mountains at Bridgeport. I was not an infantryman and was humping with a rifle company. It was tough keeping up with those guys, they were in excellent shape and their CO was a athletic maniac. I think he ran most of the way. I was impressed.

What really made it bad, we still used the old M-1941 packs and we had full field transport packs and 782 gear on. The hook on the bottom of my pack came loose from my cartridge belt, rode up between my back and the pack and rubbed a big nasty bloody hole in me. There was no stopping to fix the hook for an hour and no fixing me until we made our camp.

I knew it was ugly when both my Gunny AND the corpsman made a face. The blood stain was about 8-inches across the utility shirt.

I still finished MW school, boo-boo and all. At least I didn't have to hump back down to base camp as I remained up in the mountains for two more weeks role-playing "partisans" for a E&E exercise. That part was one of the BEST training exercises I was ever on.