PDA

View Full Version : Three Marines from other countries

thedrifter
01-08-07, 01:06 PM
January 07. 2007 6:59AM

Three Marines from other countries

For South Bend reservists in Iraq, life moves at a different, alcohol-free pace.

The South Bend Tribune's Fred Dodd, a retired Marine, recently spent the Christmas and New Year's holidays with the Marines of South Bend-based Engineer Company B.

Dodd was embedded with the same Marine Corps unit in 2003 during the invasion of Iraq.

Here are some of Dodd's observations after his most recent visit:

CAMP TAQADDUM, Iraq -- Three Company B Marines aren't U.S. citizens -- yet here they are fighting for the United States.

"I don't look at it like I'm fighting somebody else's war," said Cpl. Jesus Mendoza, of Chicago, who was born in Mexico. "I'm here to be with my brothers -- the Marines. I'm doing it for the Marines. I feel like my brothers need me to help them."

"It's just one way for me to give back to this country that's given me so much," added Lance Cpl. Jordan O'Hearn, of St. Joseph, who was born in Australia. 'I've grown up and spent most of my life in America. As much as I love Australia I also love it in America."

"I always wanted to make a difference in the world," said Sgt. Francois Cummings, of Indianapolis, who was born in Liberia. "The Corps allowed me to make that difference. It has given me the pride of being a part of something that's larger than myself."

New Year's in Iraq

What little was going on during New Year's Eve was interrupted by sirens warning of incoming mortar rounds. But Camp Taqaddum is a pretty big place and no one in Engineer Village, where most of Engineer Company B stays, heard anything.

The staff non-commissioned officers got together for dinner and the non-commissioned officers gathered together for a small party, but otherwise the year's end passed quietly here. The South Bend Marine reservists did get a little extra sleep both New Year's Eve and New Year's Day.

Liquor laws

Company commander Maj. Mark Boone, of Medford, Ore., half-laughingly described it as heartbreaking duty.

Alcohol is prohibited here. Yet, occasionally someone will receive a bottle in the mail from a well-meaning friend or relative. It usually ends up with Boone.

"I think I was probably the very first Marine in the company to receive alcohol. I took some very fine Jack Daniels whiskey and dumped it out in front of everybody to sort of set the tone. Since then, when folks get alcohol it ends up with me so I pour it out. It sets the right example for the company and we have to make sure we have our heads on straight over here. I think it was one of the most trying events while I was over here."

Happy birthday

Each month 9th Engineer Support Battalion, the active duty unit that Company B is attached to, celebrates birthdays and anniversaries with a cake. On Dec. 31, Marines and sailors gathered in the Morale, Welfare and Recreation Center and the battalion chaplain called out the names of those born in December. Along with the cake was a song -- "Happy Birthday."

Ellie

thedrifter
01-08-07, 01:10 PM
January 08. 2007 6:59AM

Company B's Christmas: 'There's still a job to do'
South Bend Marines say they're in Iraq to honor America's freedoms.

FRED DODD
Tribune Staff Writer

WEST OF FALLUJAH, Iraq -- Shortly after dinner one night in late December, a group of Engineer Company B Marines began final preparations for a routine clearance mission that departed Engineer Village after dark.

The Marines weren't expected back until well after daybreak.

Weapons were inspected, radios checked and double-checked. An hour before the mission rolled, 9th Engineer Support Battalion's chaplain visited the departure area for his customary blessing of the mission.

In the minutes before heading "outside the wire" as they call missions that depart their base camp, one Marine sat in his Humvee and read by the light of a chem-light stick.

Others stood around talking and joking. Another set the play list in his iPod. Spirits, as usual, were high.

Where do these Marines come from?

Most of them enlisted after 9/11 and after the war began -- fully aware that they could end up in a combat zone.

It is a time when most people avoid military recruiters like the plague. Yet, these Marines sought them out.

"I enlisted basically because of 9/11," said Lance Cpl. Lance Yoder, of Goshen. "I enjoy the freedoms we have and somebody has to fight for them, why not me? I knew my views were that we should be over here. I couldn't fully support the war and just watch somebody else fight it for me."

Lance Cpl. Jordan O'Hearn, of St. Joseph, agreed. "I'm not an American citizen so it's just one way for me to give back to this country that's given me so much. There are some things in everybody's lives which we have to do. One of them for me was coming overseas and serving my country."

Brenda Silcock, a lance corporal from Brighton, Mich., earned her college degree in international relations before enlisting. She risked losing a good job with the company that makes Gortex so she could go to Marine Corps recruit training. Her explanation? "I feel it's my duty to serve my country. That's why I joined. I think every young person should serve in the military."

Some of the South Bend reservists are in Iraq for their second tour. Many could have opted out this time around because of their 2003 deployment.

"I hung around because I'm not done serving my country I don't feel as though I've given all I've got to give," said Gunnery Sgt. John Kroll, of Valparaiso, Ind.

"They (the younger Marines) need experienced leaders to bring them over here who understand some of the rigors -- not just physically, but emotionally -- and can guide them through that process, making sure we do everything we can to bring them home in better condition than their families gave them to us in."

"There was no way I could stay home," added Gunnery Sgt. Louis Bain, of Burns Harbor, Ind.

"Nobody turned it (the deployment) down. There's no way I could be back there reading the articles, that'd drive me nuts. This is where I'd want to be -- with them."

Staff Sgt. Ryan Jones, of Hartford City, Ind., had actually left the Corps after Company B's initial tour. He rejoined specifically for the chance to redeploy. "I couldn't sit back and watch everybody who we had fought with last time leave. I came over to lend a hand and help out where I can. There's still a job to do."

Staff writer Fred Dodd
fdodd@sbtinfo.com
(574) 235-6170

Ellie