PDA

View Full Version : New Sergeant of Marines - Stand the Hell By

gwladgarwr
01-08-07, 12:32 PM
:marine: Hey, Marines.

I first got on this website way back when I was an OCS candidate fresh off the streets of DC (yuck.) Didn't work out in the end, though. However, I chose to go over to the working side of the house and go enlisted, starting out as a PFC.

As of 1 Jan 07, I have been granted the privilege and honor of leading Marines as a Sergeant in the Marine Corps Reserve.

So, all you nasties and poolees: stand the f*** by - hard work and dedication will get you there - don't let your Marines down whether you're a private or a four-star general. This here new Sergeant will lead with conviction. Semper Fidelis.

gwladgarwr (Sgt F.A. Race)

thedrifter
01-08-07, 12:35 PM
Congratulations Marine!

Ellie

jinelson
01-08-07, 01:41 PM
Congratulations Sergeant Of Marines! OORAH!!!

Semper Fi

Jim

KOBScout
01-08-07, 01:53 PM
PT once a month,
Shave once a month,
Haircut once a month,
Relearning the 14 leadership traits once a month,
was definitely challenging for me.
That "working side of the house" sure is hard.

HardJedi
01-08-07, 01:57 PM
well, congrats are in order! and drinks are on YOU! ( you being a higher pay grade and all) ;)

gwladgarwr
01-08-07, 02:13 PM
well, congrats are in order! and drinks are on YOU! ( you being a higher pay grade and all) ;)

Hey, I said I was a motivated Sergeant, not a generous one. (sipping my own :beer: )

I'll contribute one big can of Foster's and you'll have to divvy it up using 5.56 casings for shotglasses.:devious: And don't ever say ole 'Sarge never hooks you up.

gwladgarwr
01-08-07, 02:17 PM
PT once a month,
Shave once a month,
Haircut once a month,

What's a "leadership trait"? Is that like being able to make a taco tongue, or maybe like a funny rash in your nether regions that Doc will only give you Motrin for? Or maybe it's like being double-jointed.

You mean, I have to get a haircut, too? Shave? Heck, I'm baby-faced, anyway. Grooming's overrated.

KOBScout
01-08-07, 02:21 PM
"SARGE" If you were a real Marine and had spent more than a day in the fleet you would know that "SARGE" is an army term. And would be unsat in the real Marine Corps. FIX YOUR SELF MARINE!

With respect from a full time Sergeant

gwladgarwr
01-08-07, 02:42 PM
"SARGE" If you were a real Marine and had spent more than a day in the fleet you would know that "SARGE" is an army term. And would be unsat in the real Marine Corps. FIX YOUR SELF MARINE!

With respect from a full time Sergeant

Lord, help me - I still have to handle the haters. Dude: WHATEVER.

Let's see: avatar=Sgt, profile=E9. Hmmm, which is it? Please try to be consistent.

Actually, "sarge" means "whale penis". I don't mind being a big Marine dick as long as I'm more than 9" long. The Army and the Marine Corps have been saying "Sarge" since the 1840's - ask Gen. Christmas, the Marine Corps historian.

And, since we're on the subject of "fixing oneself":

1) E9 is a SgtMaj; three stripes is E5 (Sergeant)

2) "yourself" is one word.

3) "Army", as in "U.S. Army" is capitalized.

4) When using a vocative following a main clause (i.e., "Don't pay any mind to haters, Marines", a comma will separate the clause from the vocative object.

5) "Don't despise - idolize!"

KOBScout
01-08-07, 02:44 PM
Baby faced? You haven't hit puberty yet have you? ahhh you poor little boy, still playing dress up in your daddy's uniform.

rb1651
01-08-07, 02:47 PM
Congrats, Sergeant!!! Take good care of your young Marines, and they'll take good care of you. Semper Fi, Marine.

STA0311
01-08-07, 03:24 PM
Well...being as I was from both sides of the Enlisted House, Active and Reserve, it always seems that Reserve NCO's have something to prove. I'm gonna thrash somebody because I am a Sergeant and I can. Really that proves nothing and makes your Marines respect you less. Who is gonna care for you when you take a round...the PFC who you treated like crap because you could...HELL NO, that PFC is going to say...PFC doesnt know how to render first aid while you lay there screaming for a Corpsman Up.
Grow up and stop being the "I got beat up as a kid, and now I have rank so I am going to beat kids up" chump and Lead by Example. You want to claim Sergeant of Marines...then EARN IT...rank means crap. I remember SNCO's that could eat S*** for all I care. But there are also SNCO's that I would take a bullet for because they Lead by Example and took care of their Marines by never talking down to them (like you did in your opening statement) and making them a Team. I hope you the best in learning the ways of leadership young Sergeant.

Sgt Leprechaun
01-08-07, 03:44 PM
Congrats Sergeant of Marines!

The true test of leadership, in my no doubt *worthless* opinion, is getting your Marines to do what you need them to do, then coming back to you, on their own accord, and asking what else needs to be done for the day.

Get to that point, you'll be a leader of Marines. "Follow me!" is leadership, yeah.

But so is "Hey, warrior, I need you to fix the engine".

They'll do what you say because of the rank. You gotta earn the respect.

STA0311, that's an interesting point about Reserve NCO's. I've never had that issue, probably because all my time is active. Never had that to deal with. Perhaps it's because those NCO's 'go home' at the end of the drill weekend, and don't have to be around "the kids" (as my wife called 'em) on ship 24/7 or in the barracks?

I saw a few AD Sergeants find out the hard way some 'leadership lessons' meted out by the LCpl mafia. Nothing overt, mind you....but 'the lads' have a way of hosing you over at the most inconvenient times....

gwladgarwr
01-08-07, 03:46 PM
Well...being as I was from both sides of the Enlisted House, Active and Reserve, it always seems that Reserve NCO's have something to prove. I'm gonna thrash somebody because I am a Sergeant and I can. Really that proves nothing and makes your Marines respect you less. Who is gonna care for you when you take a round...the PFC who you treated like crap because you could...HELL NO, that PFC is going to say...PFC doesnt know how to render first aid while you lay there screaming for a Corpsman Up.
Grow up and stop being the "I got beat up as a kid, and now I have rank so I am going to beat kids up" chump and Lead by Example. You want to claim Sergeant of Marines...then EARN IT...rank means crap. I remember SNCO's that could eat S*** for all I care. But there are also SNCO's that I would take a bullet for because they Lead by Example and took care of their Marines by never talking down to them (like you did in your opening statement) and making them a Team. I hope you the best in learning the ways of leadership young Sergeant.

Dude, whatever! Who said anything about thrashing anyone?! Don't you know what a "smiley" is? Damn, not only are you a rock and can't decipher an online post, you're also full of yourself. Get over yourself and wish someone congrats! Who said anything about talking down to anyone? (except to you, now, of course). I wish you could see my SRB and see for yourself, but whatever. I need not prove anything to you. Dude, word of advice: take a Valium and chill.

You know, the usual decorum in here is to say "congrats" on a promotion. Apparently, you missed the class on "tact", so all your talk about leadership is bulls***. Man, you just have so much hate in heart - do you even like yourself? Whatever - I'm done with you. I'll let all my PFCs, LCpls, and Cpls testify for me about how to treat Marines and how I look at for them (yeah, that includes lending money never repaid back to me, items never returned to me, etc., etc.) You just choose to vent your sorry, wanna-be Marine (SgtMaj/E5) self online to soothe your own sorry self-worth - and your Marine Corps career is highly in doubt. Sgt, my left foot. Get a life.

To anyone else in here up for promotion - congratulations ahead of time.

gwladgarwr
01-08-07, 03:57 PM
Congrats Sergeant of Marines!

The true test of leadership, in my no doubt *worthless* opinion, is getting your Marines to do what you need them to do, then coming back to you, on their own accord, and asking what else needs to be done for the day.

Get to that point, you'll be a leader of Marines. "Follow me!" is leadership, yeah.

But so is "Hey, warrior, I need you to fix the engine".

They'll do what you say because of the rank. You gotta earn the respect.

You're right about earning that respect - I can't take that lightly. I was for the most part neglected by my NCOs (in my opinion) and I don't feel that they were motivated to helping their junior Marines - I will remember that lesson and make it a point not to repeat it.

And I remember how some NCOs pulled the "I'm a Sgt and you're a puke" line before - and it made you want to NOT follow that Sgt/SSgt/etc. I won't sh** on a LCpl like the way some of my NCOs did (unless warranted, of course, at which time a calm and serious chewing out and a counseling sheet will start out nicely).

I'm not sure where the "Reservists having something to prove" bit came from. All I said was "I just got promoted - beer's on me!" It's a happy occasion (and a serious one, too!). Next thing I know, Hater #1 misspells his soap-box tirade about "real Sergeants" and "thrashing PFCs" (?) Proves you just can't please everyone all the time, I guess.

Hmmm, about STA0311 - hmmm, he must be a newbie...or off his meds.

You know, I wish I WAS young now - anyone care to check my profile?

gwladgarwr
01-08-07, 04:03 PM
Congratulations Sergeant Of Marines! OORAH!!!

Semper Fi

Jim

Thanks much, SSgt!

I don't want to be accused to trying to thrash a SSgt and talking down to one, so I'll just buy you a non-alcoholic beer with the change I stole from the bar counter and throw a paper wad at your head to simulate hazing. :banana:

S/F!

Your humble servant,

Mother Goo...um...Sgt Race (or gwladgarwr, to my Hobbitt friends)

outlaw3179
01-08-07, 04:04 PM
Congratulations Marine.

Fleet Marine , Reserve Marine .....doesn't mean sh*t anymore. Only thing that matters is ,whether or not you have been there ,done that got the Tshirt and that cool little ribbon to compliment the salad on your blues. I was in the fleet ...who cares. Ive been in the reserves ...who cares. Im a Marine and I've led Marines in combat . Now thats cool.

STA0311
01-08-07, 04:13 PM
Wow...look I upset a BOOT Sergeant who talks about his SRB that must be full of medals and awards, being an LAV Repairman and all...LOOK MOM I got the most oil changes this month! As far as checking your profile...38 Y/O that was an OCS drop, only has 5 years in the Corps, and is a mechanic. Yeah...sounds like a good SRB so far.

gwladgarwr
01-08-07, 04:14 PM
Congratulations Marine.

Fleet Marine , Reserve Marine .....doesn't mean sh*t anymore. Only thing that matters is ,whether or not you have been there ,done that got the Tshirt and that cool little ribbon to compliment the salad on your blues. I was in the fleet ...who cares. Ive been in the reserves ...who cares. Im a Marine and I've led Marines in combat . Now thats cool.

Thank you much, Sgt.

See?! Now THERE's the love!

I didn't know until last week that my company 1st Sgt is Reserve (and the whole time I was thinking he was AD for the past 22 years!). I couldn't tell the difference! I'd follow that man anywhere - and not give a sh** if whether he was AD or Reserve. Hell, sometimes I mixed up Navy Corpsment with Marines (I guess it was the little snake-n-shield boutonnaire that tipped me off).

So, no intention of thrashing a PFC or lording it over a LCpl or being a Reservist with a "chip on my shoulder". Just celebrating - (and re-reading my NCO manual!!!!). If I'm still being reminded six years later about how when I was a PFC and I treated the Privates like real people instead of the prick I could have been because I was ONE stripe above them, I guess I'm doing something right.

Do you know what the worst punishment I've ever given a LCpl or PFC/PVT? (If you've been to OCS, you can appreciate this one...): PUNISHMENT ESSAYS!!!:yes:

You know, I corrected the essays in red ink, then gave them back to the Marines for re-writes. And guess what? No more trouble from them AND they learned to write better. I guess I was SUCH an a**hole. :beer:

gwladgarwr
01-08-07, 04:26 PM
Wow...look I upset a BOOT Sergeant who talks about his SRB that must be full of medals and awards, being an LAV Repairman and all...LOOK MOM I got the most oil changes this month! As far as checking your profile...38 Y/O that was an OCS drop, only has 5 years in the Corps, and is a mechanic. Yeah...sounds like a good SRB so far.

No, bud, wasn't upset at all - I was laughing my a** off!

Actually, I got the award for the most drain plugs relocated and re-installed in an LAV in pitch darkness. All I won was a new set of coveralls (that didn't fit.)

I could be of help to you, STA0311, in the field of math. You see, 2007 minus 2001 = 6 (not '"5", despite what your calculator - or the gunny - tells you.)

And yes, OCS drop here (double hip fracture). Not to brag, but if you can do a marathon just six months after, you must not be doing too badly. But I'll just let you go on and hate, just like that other hater, SOB-something-or-other.)

Yes, let them hate as long as they gnash their teeth.

Happy New Year!

Osotogary
01-08-07, 04:29 PM
gwladgarwr-
Congratulations from this filthy citizen. No doubt about it, you are now going to get static, with your new military status, light hearted or not, wether you are coming or going. Reading your posts through the years I have no doubt that you will reply accordingly.
Once again, congratulations.
Adios from South Florida.
Gary

STA0311
01-08-07, 04:38 PM
Yes 01 - 07 is 6. HOWEVER being as you became a Marine in June, you have only completed 5 years of service. I dont hate... I am out of the Corps...so I could care less if you are a POS NCO or not...you just come off as the guy who always has more or done more than anyone else. Thanks for the help with the math...let me know when you want to learn how to shoot...STA will take care of ya!

winniele
01-08-07, 05:14 PM
hey gwladgawr- i am not trying to be funny but I thought the max age to join the Marine Corps is 28 yrs old. How did you get in at 32 years old? Just curious and I am not thrashing you.

The1stSgt
01-08-07, 06:15 PM
Congratulations, Sergeant of Marines.

greensideout
01-08-07, 07:28 PM
Well alphabet, your attitude hasn't changed.

Lead Marines well, their life may depend upon it.

yellowwing
01-08-07, 07:42 PM
Congratulations Sergeant! :usmc:

Don't you feel ten feet taller when they start reading out, "To all who shall see these presents, Greeting..."

SSGT DILL
01-08-07, 08:44 PM
Congradulations Sergeant !!

SSGT DILL
01-08-07, 08:45 PM
Congradulations Sergeant !!
Train Your Marines Well And They Will

sgt tony
01-08-07, 10:55 PM
Welcome Abord Marine Sgt. Semper Fi do or die

Sgt Leprechaun
01-09-07, 06:04 AM
Congratulations Marine.

I agree 100 percent. That IS cool!:flag:

SuNmAN
01-09-07, 10:55 AM
PT once a month,
Shave once a month,
Haircut once a month,

lol thats why you gotta respect yourself enough to self motivate

I do heavy weight training and wind sprints 6 days a week, so "PT once a month" don't apply !!