PDA

View Full Version : Off to Iraq for a year

thedrifter
01-08-07, 06:56 AM
Off to Iraq for a year
January 08,2007
MICAH MASSEI
DAILY NEWS STAFF

Marine Aviation Logistics Squadron 29 has had two major deployments since its formation in 1988 — one during the Gulf War and one to Iraq in 2003.

But its latest is a doozy.

More than 300 Wolverines departed on Sunday for a 12-month stay in west central Iraq in support of Operation Iraqi Freedom.

“Deployments are usually for seven months,” said Lt. Col. Anthone Wright, MALS-29 com-manding officer. “This time it’s for 12. We’re going as a part of regiment or higher unit, so you spend 12 months out there.”

The other 450 members of the squadron are either already in Iraq or on their way, replacing MALS-16, which has been deployed from California for the past year.

“We fix aircraft, we won’t fly them,” Wright said. “When they need an aircraft for anything — drop bombs, move Marines around — whatever it might be, it’s our job to make sure it gets out there and working.”

The mission, squadron Sgt. Maj. Ronald Andryshak said, is extremely important — the Wolverines will provide support for 11 squadrons.

“These Marines are the ones that repair and do all the maintenance and inspections of every aircraft that flies in Iraq,” said Andryshak, who is making his fourth trip to Iraq. “Right now, these Marines are feeling that feeling of the unknown, but we train hard, we train well and they are up for any mission assigned.”

Staff Sgt. Tiffany Amanda Richardson has been with MALS-29 for the past six months of her nearly nine-year Marine career. She understands well the tough process of having to watch a loved one depart overseas for battle.

Richardson’s husband — and best friend — Brandon, is a staff sergeant who served a tour in Iraq in 2003.

“The shoes are on the other feet this time,” Brandon said.

Unlike his departure in 2003, he finds comfort knowing “there are more communication lines” and “more things are set up now in Iraq.” Still, he said, the process of having to say goodbye is always tough.

“There’s always that initial feeling that you worry about something happening,” Brandon said. “But, you deal with it and move on. Our faith is strong. I hope and pray she returns safely — the sooner, the better. … We take it one day at a time, one phone call at a time, one e-mail at a time.”

Though Tiffany has been deployed overseas three times before, it has been six years since the last one, when she spent two months serving in Greece.

In the time since, she has become a mother of two: Brandon James, 6, and Cadence, 2.

“I just worry about them,” Tiffany said. “Things like, will they remember my name? Stuff like that. I found out I was pregnant with Brandon James when I was in Greece, so it’s tougher leaving this time as a mother.”

Brandon James is a little worried too, but like his father, he has faith his mother will return safely. Until that time, he says he will chronicle what he’s been up to in his special Curious George notebook and spend time with Dad.

“I might go fishing,” Brandon James said. “Go on the boat … tubing; just be with Daddy until Mommy’s back.”

In her final gesture to her family before leaving Sunday, Tiffany did the same thing Brandon did with her before departing three years ago — the only thing you really can do.

“A hug and a kiss,” Tiffany said. “Hold down the home-front until I get back. That’s what you have to do. This is what we do.

“It’s our job.”

Contact Micah Massei at mmassei@freedomenc.com or 353-1171, Ext. 237.