PDA

View Full Version : Old Salt

Davids Girl
01-07-07, 04:13 PM
Just out of curiousity and to everyhing I'm learning here, I have a question. I've been reading a lot of the forums and see reference often made to "Old Salt" Marines.

Does this refer to a certain generation or age or year range of Marines? Or a specific location served? Or neither.

Thanks!
I enjoy learning more and more each day about the Corps. Not a day goes by where I haven't learned something new.

DWG
01-07-07, 05:04 PM
Any Marine who served before you, even if it's measured in hours, is an old salt!;)

FistFu68
01-07-07, 05:14 PM
:evilgrin: DW!~YOU SHOULD KNOW!YOU SALTY OLD FART~(LMAO):D :iwo:

yellowwing
01-07-07, 05:20 PM
The cut and dry version comes from our maritime traditions. A Marine with many deployments has sea salt spray encrusted in them.

Generally it is a Marine with the wisdom and experience that you can count on to figure out tough situations. The Marine that young Devil Dogs look up to and get courage and inspiration from. The Marine that the COs look to get the job done.

Davids Girl
01-07-07, 05:27 PM
Got it! That's kinda cool. I was thinking about the whole connection with "Marine life" to the Old Salt, and had come across that idea too. I guess kinda like an old Wise Owl, you know, the one with the glasses lol.

yellowwing
01-07-07, 05:41 PM
LOL A Wise Old Owl that will drill you dead in a heart beat if he thought you were going to hurt one of his Marines! :banana:

DWG
01-07-07, 05:44 PM
DW!~YOU SHOULD KNOW!YOU SALTY OLD FART~(LMAO)

You're at least 120 days saltier than me "old man".LOL:banana: :D :banana:

Davids Girl
01-07-07, 11:48 PM
lol I would never even THINK about trying to hurt a Marine. And nevermind that... my chances aren't even slim with that, just none lol. So far, the majority of Marines I've met have all been good, honorable, upstanding, people who I would love to have protect me any day.

There is one story... but I don't know if he was really a Marine or not. I've just moved on and made sure to find good Marines who I know aren't figments of my imagination.

I love how Marines stand up for eachother, even if they're complete strangers, it's a beautiful brotherhood. More people could watch and learn from this kind of unconditional bond.

Don't mess with Wise Owls who carry big guns :p

Sgt Leprechaun
01-08-07, 11:28 AM
Here's a story I heard long ago, that most here will be familiar with:

Guy is walking through Philadelphia at 0800, 10 November 1775. Marine Corps recruiter standing in front of Tun Tavern says to him "Hey, buddy, come inside, I'll tell you all about the Continental Marines, buy ya a beer, sign you right up!" The guy is interested, goes in, and in a few hours, is enlisted into the brand new United States Marine Corps. The recruiter tells him he'll have to wait a day or two to get issued his spiffy new 'greens', but he'll have them soon enough.

Couple days later, another guy is walking down the street in front of Tun Tavern, same recruiter, decked out in Continental Marine Corps dress greens, asks him if he wants to come inside and hear all about the Marines. Guy goes in, the recruiter buys him 3 tankards of beer, and enlists him into the Marine Corps, outfits him with a brand new set of dress greens.

Second guy reports to the same duty station, Philadelphia, as the first enlisted Marine, who has yet to get his uniform or equipment.

The first enlisted Marine looks at the 'new' guy and says:

"IT WASN'T LIKE THIS IN THE OLD CORPS"

FistFu68
01-08-07, 12:41 PM
:evilgrin: (LOL) D-W,JUST FOR THAT;YOU'R WALKING POINT MARINE!!!YOU'R STILL A SALTY 'OLE FART!!!:iwo: :D

FistFu68
01-08-07, 12:47 PM
:evilgrin: OH,AND WING'S SALTY YOUNG AZZ;IS HUMPING THE PRC-25~(RTO)!!!(LMFAO):iwo: :D

DWG
01-08-07, 12:51 PM
OH,AND WING'S SALTY YOUNG AZZ;IS HUMPING THE PRC-25~(RTO)!!!(LMFAO):iwo:
Anybody that even knows what a PRC-25 is, is saltier than a can of Tom's peanuts.
How many rounds you put through that Christmas present already?:)

FistFu68
01-08-07, 01:08 PM
:marine: (LMAO) D~W!!!I'VE BEEN RUBBING ON MY NEW BABY,LIKE SHE'S A WINDY~CITY;THROUGHBRED'HO!!! GOT TO NAME HER FIRST,MY BROTHER;BEFORE I START CRANKING OFF RND'S!!! TEMPTATION IS REALLY KILLING ME THOUGH!!!(LOL);) S/F MARINE :iwo:

DWG
01-08-07, 01:14 PM
(LMAO) D~W!!!I'VE BEEN RUBBING ON MY NEW BABY,LIKE SHE'S A WINDY~CITY;THROUGHBRED'HO!!! GOT TO NAME HER FIRST,MY BROTHER;BEFORE I START CRANKING OFF RND'S!!! TEMPTATION IS REALLY KILLING ME THOUGH!!!(LOL)S/F MARINE :iwo:

Kiss her on the butt, call her baybee and start squeezing the trigger, just like usual! When the hell did you get shy?:banana: :D

FistFu68
01-08-07, 01:38 PM
:D (ROTFLMAO) BAYBEE~IT IS~D.W!!!!:D :iwo:

DWG
01-08-07, 01:42 PM
(ROTFLMAO) BAYBEE~IT IS~D.W!!!!:iwo:

See how it all comes back to ya? Couple thousand rds. of 30-06 and she'll be yours forever! ;) (Is that made by Springfield Arms?)

FistFu68
01-08-07, 02:07 PM
:evilgrin: THAT'S A BIG AFFIRAMATITTY~ON YOU'R LAST~D,W~SPRINGFIELD ARMORY~GENESEO,ILLINOIS!!! S/F~10/4:iwo: