PDA

View Full Version : Worse Training Experience And Where

SSGT DILL
01-06-07, 10:11 PM
I Would Like To Hear Your Worse Training Expereinces And Where? As Far As I Go Two Stands Out. Cold Weather Training On Top Of Mt. Fuji And A Week Long Field Op On The Island Of Sardinia Where It Was About 50 Degrees Riding Around In A M151 Jeep With It Raining Every Day And Night.

greensideout
01-06-07, 10:43 PM
For me, Mt Fuji was a great place to live in a tent.

The worse training, well the training that I hated most was cold weather training at Pickle Meadows. 17 foot of snow and a snow hole to survive in. Snowshoes up the mountains and wooden skis back down.
I liked 29 stumps much better.

Sgt Leprechaun
01-08-07, 10:31 AM
Hmmm....Never really had 'worse' training...some places I'd rather not be....Comm skool in 29 Palms sucked, but only because I didn't have a car. Other than that, no place I really hated...

STA0311
01-08-07, 01:04 PM
The never forgetfull Marine Expeditionary Camp PoHang...golly that was some "GREAT" fun there. We were so bored we CS bombed (Tobasco and Water in a Gatorade Bottle) the non 03's tent...that was the best part.

rktect3j
01-08-07, 02:04 PM
I loved all the training I got. Every bit of it. Better off in the field then in garrison.

I absolutely hated running though. Didn't matter where I was I just hated it. Probably because they always do it at the same time every day, round 5:30 AM it seemed

SSGT DILL
01-08-07, 08:23 PM
Let Me Reword My Question. I Am Very Grateful For All The Training I Have Recieved From The Marine Corp. I Was Just Looking For The Most Miserable Training.

greensideout
01-08-07, 09:22 PM
Hmmm....Never really had 'worse' training...some places I'd rather not be....Comm skool in 29 Palms sucked, but only because I didn't have a car. Other than that, no place I really hated...

"didn't have a car"!??? LMFAO

Cars are like wives. If the Marine Corps wanted you to have one it would have been issued.

29 Palms was heaven compared to Pickle Meadows.

hallboy
01-08-07, 11:21 PM
That's an easy one. Field training in the Adak, Alaska tundra for (I think it was) 3 nights. It was April and rained almost the entire time. Woke up in the middle of the night sleeping in a half a foot deep puddle of water and it was somewhere around 45 degrees out and the wind was blowing hard. Tent blew down and we had no protection from the wind and rain. It was very, very miserable. But we still trained!

That which did not kill us, gave us great stories for our kids! LOL.

The1stSgt
01-08-07, 11:56 PM
Two different miseries come to mine.

DI School was doing annual requals on the rifle range at MCRD PI, I was a student, in DEC 69. The temp was in the low forties, a very light mist of rain and the wind was blowing about 7 left at the 300. I was totally frozen and could not feel my trigger finger by the time we reached the 500. There were some fire barrels, but I would be stiff again by the time I got back to the firing point. Miserable!

Camp Wilson, CAX, 29 Stumps, in JAN 82. When the sun went down and the wind picked up, it was freezing. Especially, at the outdoor showers. The wind blew the CP tent down once in the middle of the night and the troops in the "A" frames weren't real happy either. Slept unsheltered a few night there also. Fun was had by all....... "I just love this sh!t!"

Sgt Leprechaun
01-09-07, 05:36 AM
Yeah, 'didn't have a car' LOL. I was a 35 yr old LCpl re-tread stuck in the barracks... :) Still, it wasn't horrible, just annoying.

I never did the Pickle Meadows thing....and was glad of it, I freakin hate the cold.

Did an Op in 99 on Skiros Island, Greece. Waiting all night in the MRC-142 on the beach for pickup, bent up like a pretzel, cold, miserable, raining, couldn't sleep, couldn't keep warm.

That, of course, was nothing compared to some, but it's one I won't forget.

"If it ain't rainin, we ain't trainin!"

Quinbo
01-09-07, 02:50 PM
I went through squad leaders course/ small unit leaders course as a lance corporal. On one of the evolutions we were on a an ambush patrol and I fell asleep..... woke up and ohhhh #%#$%# no rifle. The instructor carried it back to bivouac and handed it to the chief instructor. The chief instructor said guess we don't need a firewatch roster tonight. He handed me his watch and said every thirty minutes I was to wake him up. I had firewatch all night and every thirty minutes I got to wake up a grumpy ole gunny so I could do more mountain climbers and bends and thrusts. Next day I was squad leader and had to do the whole nine with organizing a patrol issuing the order developing a terrain model .... blahh blahh blah. Anyway for the rest of my career I never fell asleep again in a fighting hole or on an ambush patrol.

Sgt Leprechaun
01-09-07, 03:01 PM
Ouch. That was a damn hard lesson learned.

FistFu68
01-09-07, 03:21 PM
:evilgrin: I HAD A MAJOR MALFUNCTION,ON MY 2ND. JUMP!!!USED MY RESERVE 'CUTE,HIT THE DECK IN A REAR LANDING FALL;LIKE A TON OF LEAD! WAS KNOCKED OUT! WAS ASKED BY THE 'TAC OFFICER'S IF I WANTED TO QUIT? A GREEN-BERET'S SON,DON'T QUIT CHIT;ESPECIALLY WHEN HE IS A MARINE! THEY GAVE ME MY RIPCORD HANDLE,AS A GIFT;AND NICKNAMED ME (RIP)!!!SEMPER~FIDELIS:scared: :thumbup:

David Jameson
01-24-08, 12:33 PM
The trac I was towing sank off Italy one night in 79.Killed 4 with the the 8th Marines.Another trac looking for men in the water got plowed into by an LCU doing the same and cut a Corpman in half in the turret while he was helping a Marine that got pulled from the water.I was told he never saw it comming,he was so absorbed with helping that Marine.Some field prolem that was.

thewookie
01-24-08, 01:17 PM
In early 1992, I went to JEST (jungle environment survival training) in the Philippines, and that's a pretty tough school in a pretty hot/tough environment to begin with. But I went through the course right after Mt. Pinnatubo had erupted, maybe like a month or two after. So imagine all that triple canopy jungle falling due to the heavy weight of all the soot and ash, and then us having to hump through, easily crotch high sh*t, and it was like 110 degrees out with no food & water. Granted we didn't wear or have anything more then our boots, cami trousers, and green skivie shirts on, with our K-Bars and a canteen, no pack or anything, but it was still an azzkicker and I was misrable. I easily lost 10 pounds during the time and I didn't really have 10 pounds to lose!

Eric Hood
01-24-08, 02:18 PM
Korea in the winter. At least the commies were'nt shooting at me.

Eric Hood
01-24-08, 02:19 PM
I got an Army buddy. He says, any class on gender equality. Women can't hump mortar gear.

cball
01-24-08, 02:46 PM
None were to bad but I guess the worst was ABC school,Atomic-Biological-Chemical Warfare School in NAS Brunswick Maine.
Sgt C Ball

montana
01-24-08, 03:06 PM
How about leaving montana after 2 weeks of -36 in Feb and snow up to your gonads
sent MCRD SD 65 F.....everyone there was from the south and freezing to death while i was half dead from over heating..... had to wear a field jacket like everyone eles did. was looked at like i was half nut sitting on my foot locker in my skivies

and thewookie that sounds like my vietnam time...no imagination needed...sept add the extra tonnage flack jacket rifle ammo frags ect ect

Marine84
01-24-08, 03:11 PM
Mine seems like nothing compared to some of you guys but, my worse one was 21 days, in 100+ degree weather, in the bomb dump, in the middle of the desert in EastBumFk Yuma, AZ! That building up all day long and the heat drained me, I ain't going to lie about it.

hawks
01-24-08, 03:57 PM
Range 400 in mid december. It was freezing rain for the 4 hours we stood by in the ditch ready to do the course. Then did the course for 3-4 hours, couldn't do any speed reloads, had to use my entire hand just to hit the release. It didnt help that it rained all night when we slept under the stars. Then after that it was back to good old windy and cold Camp Wilson. Probably the most miserablest month of my life. Conditions in Iraq and Kuwait are 10x better

crate78
01-25-08, 09:09 AM
In the early 1960's, in the middle of the Cold War, I was on a Nuclear Emergency Team. We trained to cope with nuclear emergencies. (Obviously). We spent days stomping around in the desert in New Mexico in 100 degree plus temperatures in full protective gear, including an oxygen breathing apparatus, simulating airplane crashes with nuclear material on board.

We could easily lose 10 to 15 pounds per day by dehydration. Of course, we had to go the the NCO Club at either Sandia Base (Army) or Kirtland AFB in the evening to rehydrate ourselves.

Accord
01-25-08, 10:32 AM
Ft. Pickett, VA.

We spent 3 miserable weeks in the field, it was 17 degrees outside, windchill was probably hovering around 0 degrees, it was raining, everything was soaking wet, we humped in excess of 50 miles throughout the whole training op, I got pnemonia out in the field and just sucked it up... damn those 3 weeks sucked.

lovdog
01-25-08, 11:58 AM
Water survival course at Lakehurst, New Jersey back in the day! We didn't think it would be too bad since the Navy thought it up - boy were we wrong! Some sadistic S.O.B. must have laid awake many a night to think up that one!

ymlcplsull
01-25-08, 12:10 PM
mine was young mariens boot camp it wasent too abd i thought it was fun but hte fact that i couledtn move my arms kill it semper fi

jrhd97
01-25-08, 12:25 PM
I liked beign out at 29 Palms. Once I got acclimated to the drieness. Did a couple CAX's. Didn't even have a car, LOL.

At Camp Lejeune we went to Fox 4 for some live fire. Didn't know it was supposed to drop below twenty, freeze and a little snow. We all about frooze our nads off that night.

Never liked going to Ft. Benning. Went every year with 2 LAR to use the bradley ranges. The Army was kind enough to put us up at Harmony Church in the old processing barracks for the guys coming back from Germany.
Oh yeah, they were slated for demolition because they were so old,untill we started coming down.

The NTA in monsoon season was always fun.

packy46
07-05-08, 12:12 AM
First and always,I'm a Marine....
Went on the Carib Cruise 2/68 out of Le Juene in the spring of 1968,got chumped into going to the Army School of the America's in Panama,jungle warfare school........ Hello,did sixteen months in Viet nam.
P.S. got out in August,one month after I got back.If sent before Nam...could have been helpful !!!
P.P.S. Came back from Chu Lia, in 1966 was told,everybody that has not qualified in the last year, will go to the rifle range and qualify.
Dude............
I love my Corps
S/F
Tim

sparkie
07-05-08, 12:32 AM
LeJeune,,,, ITR. 12 degrees with a non-zipping bag. Ended up that day with penumonia, and spent the next 2 months in the hospital.

Pete0331
07-05-08, 01:06 AM
For some reason I always hated going to the Papa 3 training area at Camp Pendleton.

Wyoming
07-05-08, 01:32 AM
As a Winger, I hated it when we got in late, somewhere around 2pm, and missed chow.

Then, when back to out private rooms, finding the A/C to be acting up and the temp hovering around 72. Totally unbearable.

A quick shower and off to the club for a few, and then into town.

It was really tough operating in that environment.

PS, this one is for you Jack (FISTFU68)!!:D

sparkie
07-05-08, 09:31 AM
As a Winger, I hated it when we got in late, somewhere around 2pm, and missed chow.

Then, when back to out private rooms, finding the A/C to be acting up and the temp hovering around 72. Totally unbearable.

A quick shower and off to the club for a few, and then into town.

It was really tough operating in that environment.

PS, this one is for you Jack (FISTFU68)!!:D
Can I fluff your pillow for you?

ENGR1371
07-05-08, 12:37 PM
Lejeune 2 weeks of WarGames w/the Navy Seals & Army!
They were supposed to spray for Ticks, well guess what? They didn't! If I remember right, over half the company got bitten by Ticks & about a quarter of them had gotten Lyme disease! Here they sprayed the wrong part of LeJeune! LOL!

Big Jim
07-05-08, 01:04 PM
Lejeune 2 weeks of WarGames w/the Navy Seals & Army!
They were supposed to spray for Ticks, well guess what? They didn't! If I remember right, over half the company got bitten by Ticks & about a quarter of them had gotten Lyme disease! Here they sprayed the wrong part of LeJeune! LOL!

I REMEMBER BEING ON A TRAINING OP AT LEJEUNE WITH SOME NAVY SEALS AND I WAS WITH 2ND RECON AT THE TIME AND I ALSO REMEMBER THERE BEING SOME GREEN BERETS AND DELTA FORCE TEAMS THERE TOO...IS THIS THE ONE YOU'RE TALKING ABOUT, BRO?!?! IF SO...I WAS THERE AT THE TIME...AND YES I CONTRACTED THAT DAM LYME DISEASE, TOO!!! WE ALL GOT 2 WEEKS OF CONVELESCENT LEAVE FOR THAT ONE....JUST TO MAKE SURE WE ALL HEALED UP GOOD...HAHAHA!!!

ENGR1371
07-05-08, 01:37 PM
I REMEMBER BEING ON A TRAINING OP AT LEJEUNE WITH SOME NAVY SEALS AND I WAS WITH 2ND RECON AT THE TIME AND I ALSO REMEMBER THERE BEING SOME GREEN BERETS AND DELTA FORCE TEAMS THERE TOO...IS THIS THE ONE YOU'RE TALKING ABOUT, BRO?!?! IF SO...I WAS THERE AT THE TIME...AND YES I CONTRACTED THAT DAM LYME DISEASE, TOO!!! WE ALL GOT 2 WEEKS OF CONVELESCENT LEAVE FOR THAT ONE....JUST TO MAKE SURE WE ALL HEALED UP GOOD...HAHAHA!!!

Yes, 2nd Recon was there, 2nd ANGLICO, I was with 2nd SRIG, It was a multi-force operation, we waxed the hell out of those Navy Seals coming ashore like Jaws! You could see them a mile away! LOL!
If I remember, It had to be like 1990, or early 1992 because in 1991 I was in Desert Storm! Take Care Bro!

Big Jim
07-05-08, 03:16 PM
Yes, 2nd Recon was there, 2nd ANGLICO, I was with 2nd SRIG, It was a multi-force operation, we waxed the hell out of those Navy Seals coming ashore like Jaws! You could see them a mile away! LOL!
If I remember, It had to be like 1990, or early 1992 because in 1991 I was in Desert Storm! Take Care Bro!

IT WAS MARCH OR APRIL OF 1992 I REMEMBER...YEAH THOSE FRIKKIN PUSSY- ASS SEALS ALL FAILED THEIR ATTACK MISSION...IT WAS GREAT...ALL EXCEPT THAT LYME DISEASE...I DIDN'T GET REAL SICK BUT I KNEW SOME BROTHERS WHO DID...

ZSKI
07-05-08, 04:02 PM
Easy for me RRR drill at dogpatch at westover arb. It wasn't a bad mission but it was 10F and supply took all our cold weather gear and our black sleeping bags the night before.

Swampyankee
07-05-08, 07:44 PM
I seem to remember them as all being the same, gravy, all of them. Or maybe I've got it backwards and they were all a major pain in the fanny pack.

I guess its who you ask. Like the guy (fresh boot) from our unit who failed swim quals because he didn't know how to swim. Last I heard he was in a comma and his mother was visiting the general. I'd say for him that training day was his worst.

stacemonster81s
07-06-08, 04:55 AM
Spent two weeks in Thailand. Rained all night and morning, and then in the afternoon the humidity and temperature soared. Woke up in several inches of standing water almost every night. Eesh.

:usmc: