PDA

View Full Version : First Marine spec ops company deploys

thedrifter
01-06-07, 11:56 AM
January 05, 2007

First Marine spec ops company deploys

By Trista Talton
Staff writer

CAMP LEJEUNE, N.C. — Watch out, bad guys: The Corps’ first company of door-kicking commandos just got underway.

The Camp Lejeune-based 26th Marine Expeditionary Unit deployed Friday, taking with it about 120 leathernecks from the first Marine Special Operations Company, or MSOC.

Members of the MSOC, one of two standing companies under the Lejeune-based 2nd Marine Special Operations Battalion, are ready to show what they’re made of in the world of spec ops forces, said Lt. Col. Paul Montanus, battalion commanding officer.

“I think a lot of them want to prove that they can stand toe-to-toe with the finest organizations in the military,” Montanus said. “I think that’s where their excitement is.”

Sitting behind the wheel of an armored Humvee on Onslow Beach early Friday morning, Lance Cpl. Robert Blumenberg Jr. said he has several friends in the MSOC going with the MEU.

“I think it’s pretty good that the Marine Corps is doing this,” said Blumenberg, an Iraq war veteran getting ready for his first MEU deployment. “For them, this is going to be a big thing.”

The deployment also marks the first float for Chief Warrant Officer 3 Todd McAllister, who suspects the MEU and MSOC will stay busy.

“In today’s times it’s hard to think an MEU’s going to go out and not do anything,” he said. “I don’t think [the MSOC] will be long with us only because of their abilities.”

Since they are in the start of their deployment, the 26th MEU and MSOC haven’t been assigned specific missions. And, this being the first time a unit has a special operations company with it, there are other unknowns. MSOC members were unavailable for comment before they deployed.

The MSOC is under tactical control of 26th MEU commanding officer Col. Gregg Sturdevant, but the various theater special operations commands that the MEU may enter — such as Special Operations Command Central — have the upper hand.

“They take them to use them as how they see fit,” said Capt. Will Klumpp, the 26th MEU’s spokesman. “There are no answers as to how long we would even be afloat with them.”

The company is part of Marine Corps Forces Special Operations Command, the Corps’ slice of U.S. Special Operations Command. MarSOC was established in 2005, at which time the Marines joined the ranks of Navy SEALs, Army Special Forces and other spec ops units.

Spec ops Marines do not have titles or wear patches or different covers that distinguish them from any other leatherneck.

“The best thing about this MSOC is that they’re Marines, first and foremost,” Montanus said.

The 13th MEU, the next scheduled to deploy among the West Coast rotations, will carry the first West Coast-based MSOC.

There will be five MSOCs on the East Coast and four on the West Coast. Montanus said about 50 percent of his battalion is standing, with a third company starting to come in. MarSOC does not release the names of the specific companies as they deploy.

“I’m really pretty excited to hear the report when they get back,” he said. “When you say ‘Send in the Marines’ it means something. Our MSOC’s no different. They’re going to make the Marine Corps proud and they’re going to make SoCOM proud.” h

Ellie