PDA

View Full Version : Walking Dead

TyShea
02-02-03, 09:39 PM
Could anyone give me any info on the Walking Dead?

thank you

MillRatUSMC
02-03-03, 06:21 AM
Which "Walking Dead"?
1st Bn 9th Marines aka "The Walking Dead" or the movie "The Walking Dead".

Here's a link to the story how 1st Bn 9th Marines came to be known as the "Walking Dead";

http://64.127.181.67/marine-units-histories/1-9.htm

Semper Fidelis
Ricardo

MillRatUSMC
02-03-03, 06:23 AM
1st Bn 9th Marines " Di bo Chet" aka the "Walking Dead"

Semper Fidelis
Ricardo

TyShea
02-03-03, 07:26 PM
my question is related to 1st Bn 9th Marines

did anyone here serve in the walking dead?

leroy8541
02-03-03, 10:55 PM
Whew , that would be a small crowd. seeing how 1/9 has been dactivated now. are you just speaking of the viet nam marines?

Sgt Sostand
02-04-03, 02:25 PM
lots of good Marines came out of 1/9 some of the best!

mardet65
02-04-03, 02:56 PM
Send a message or e-mail to lucky 106, he's a good friend of mine who served with H&S Company 1/9 in Vietnam '67-'68. I'm sure he'd be glad to answer any questions you have.

Norton1
02-06-03, 01:37 PM
in 1965. Comm Support Platoon, H&S Company, 1/9 as a radio operator.

I know a few of the 1/9ers - what are you interested in knowing?

Semper Fi
Steve

lucky106
02-06-03, 02:22 PM
Originally posted by TyShea
Could anyone give me any info on the Walking Dead?

thank you
Ty I got your message what exactly do you want to know about
1/9 [Walking Dead] I was in 10-66 to 6-67:marine:

Riven37
02-06-03, 05:17 PM
I was with the Walking Dead after Vietnam while serving a few months on the Rock.

This is my first chance getting online here between my Geno research.

:marine:

SHOOTER1
02-06-03, 09:46 PM
Norton1, I was in 3/3 65-66 Support Bn. I believe you guys were accross the road from us,or my memorys failing.

Norton1
02-07-03, 03:16 PM
Yes - we started in that little camp by the swamp across from the air strip. MAG-16 was on the hill above us. I was there until Oct of 65 then I went with Sub Unit #2 up at Phu Bai. We set up a commo van for the 4th Marines. I was crosstrained with ANGLICO and was an FO with the 12th Marines there.

We were still in the swamp in July when the little folks hit the strip in 65. You guys would have been right between MAG-16 and us - the mortars walked right through you into us - after wacking MAG-16. Wasn't it your outfit that Sgt. Anderson was from? The Sgt's squad that ambushed the VC unit coming in to hit the airstrip from the other side? It was 3rd Marines - I remember that. Saved out asses.

That sound about right? Welcome to Viet F'in Nam:D

Semper Fi
Steve

TyShea
02-09-03, 07:42 AM
Recently I read a book on Marines in Vietnam. There was a paragraph written about 1/9. The book said that these men were some of the best the Marines had to offer. I would be interested in learning everything about them.

After makinkg this post I found out that a friend of mine was in 1/9 charlie company. When I asked him about it he would'nt talk. I respect that, there is no doubt in my mind that he saw things that no man should have to see. I also realize that many of you on leatherneck.com have seen even worse. So with saying that I would like to say that I am sorry that if in any way I offended anyone.

I admire my friend and I realize that Vietnam had a deep effect on him. I would like to know what happend to make him the way he is.

If any of you would do me the honor of telling me your stories to help better understand things I would be very grateful.

USMC0311
02-09-03, 08:44 AM
Recently I read a book on Marines in Vietnam. There was a paragraph written about 1/9. The book said that these men were some of the best the Marines had to offer. I would be interested in learning everything about them.

After makinkg this post I found out that a friend of mine was in 1/9 charlie company. When I asked him about it he would'nt talk. I respect that, there is no doubt in my mind that he saw things that no man should have to see. I also realize that many of you on leatherneck.com have seen even worse. So with saying that I would like to say that I am sorry that if in any way I offended anyone.

I admire my friend and I realize that Vietnam had a deep effect on him. I would like to know what happend to make him the way he is.

If any of you would do me the honor of telling me your stories to help better understand things I would be very grateful.

Yer askin for personal information from people ...Yet You don't have the courtesy to fill out yer profile...wtf You expect??? I'll tell ya straight Up info...We did and will Do

albert torcini
02-09-03, 11:38 AM
I ALSO WAS PART OF SUB UNIT #2. I RODE SHOT GUN ON FUEL AND SUPPLY TRUCKS BETWEEN MARBLE MOUNTAIN AND DANANG.
A LOT OF MARINES FROM 1/9 I WENT TO BOOT CAMP WITH. MY PLT AT P.I. WAS 252. GRADUATED SEPT. 64. I WENT TO MARBLE MOUNTAIN THE NEXT DAY AND IT LOOKED LIKE ALL HELL HAD BROKE LOOSE. TO TELL YOU THE TRUTH,I WAS ONLY 18 AT THE TIME AND WHEN I SAW ALL THAT DESTRUCTION I WAS SCARED.
I STILL DON'T KNOW WHO MADE IT FROM MY OLD BOOT CAMP DAYS.

SEMPER FI TO ALL
AL T

SHOOTER1
02-09-03, 07:31 PM
I do remember Anderson, he wasent in my Plt. but I remember looking at the destruction those satchal charges did to our planes on the strip the next day

SHOOTER1
02-09-03, 07:35 PM
And Steve to Steve,Its good to hear from someone next to us at that time, So far only one other from my area and time on the BB, I believe its JRtheStar, Between Marble Mtn. and the old French Fort, we had a lot of black pajama parties to attend.,Semper Fi. Marine, Welcome Aboard.

SHOOTER1
02-09-03, 07:38 PM
And what are Kewl Beans,

TyShea
02-09-03, 09:11 PM
What were black pajama parties?

SHOOTER1
02-10-03, 09:26 PM
What were black pajama parties? Those were the parties you attended in the Nam, The Party Favors Were Usually AK-47s and anything else that could kill.:yes:

vance
02-11-03, 09:14 PM
TyShea,

The best book that I know of on 1/9 is Keith William Nolan's
"Operation Buffalo" 1967 fight on the Demilitarized Zone. I would read that book first then pursue your interest from there.

Norton1
02-12-03, 01:48 PM
The old French Fort was a part of us at one time. We used it as a chow hall for a brief period. Lots of mosquitoes and maggoty spam for food. Our unit was responsible for both ends of the Da Nang strip after the July attack. There is another site called "No Ghost" that is set up in memory of the Marines who participated in those same fights you were in, 3rd Marines. Here's their website http://www.noghostallowed.com/ you might find a few more folks you served with there.

Kewl beans - my Grand daughters use that to describe neat stuff. Or a good deal, fun items, that sort of thing.

TyShea - I don't even know how to begin to tell you why your friend changed. Just know that he is most likely not going to burden you with the stories. And neither am I. They are just war stories and the depth that those stories penetrated our souls is a forever deal. And I have yet to find anyone who could really understand anyway. It's something one has to experience. And I don't recomend the experience.

Albert - I was with SubUnit#2 up at Phu Bai. You and I had to have known each other. Same time and same places for the convoys. You are the first Marine I have found that served with #2. And yes those mortars did a number on that mountain - I think we were all a bit nervous.

albert torcini
02-12-03, 04:00 PM
HEY STEVE- A BUDDY OF MINE RECIEVED THE SILVER STAR FROM THAT FIGHT.HE WAS WITH THE AIR WING.THEY NEVER KNEW WHAT HIT THEM THAT NIGHT.I REMEMBER SEEING THE ACTION FROM ACROSS THE RIVER,LOOKED LIKED THE 4TH OF JULY.
HIS NAME WAS GEORGE DENNISON.
BY THE WAY ,WASN'T FORCE RECON NEAR MAG 16?ALSO A MARINE BY THE NAME OF ROBERT OMALLEY WHO WAS WITH THE 3RD MARINES RECIEVED THE MEDAL OF HONOR.HIS BROTHER WAS IN MY UNIT.HE RECIEVED THE MEDAL FROM "STARLITE".
NOT TO MANY MARINES FROM SUB #2.HELL,WERE TOO OLD.
WE MAY HAVE CROSSED PATHS,WHO KNOWS. MY PRIME MOS WAS
1391 BULK FUEL, NEVER KNEW WHAT THAT WAS WHEN I WAS IN VIET NAM.THEY HAD ME DIONG EVERYTHING BUT.GUESS WHAT,I REALLY DON'T CARE,I MADE IT HOME IN ONE PIECE.I RAN INTO SOME GREAT MARINES OVER THERE,I WISH I KNEW WHERE THAY ARE.HEY BUDDY,NICE CHAT,WE'LL DO IT AGAIN REAL SOON.
SEMPER FI, AL T

SHOOTER1
02-12-03, 09:59 PM
Norton1, thanks for the web site, Ill be hitting it tonite, As for the Spam, I thought the worms added flaver, them and Tobasco, da** I almost miss those good times,NOT, thanks again for the website, and the Kewlbeans info, Semper Fi. Marine

TyShea
02-13-03, 08:30 PM
anyone remeber a guy named bob reeder

aka_Moe
02-19-03, 06:35 PM
I was assigned to bravo co. 1st bat. 9th mar. and dropped into kha san 3/15/68 on one of the last transport planes before the seige...m.o.s. 0311 and eventually transfered to a cab unit in oct or nov of 68. Does anyone remember Pedro Rodriguez?Aka "Pete" he was also b/1/9 m.o.s. 0311 ...died 4/30/68 in Quang Nam...he was from Gary, Indiana
Searching for old friends who's names I have forgotten, though their memories are part of my soul. If you remember me or served with the "Walking Dead" during that time period I sure would like to hear from you pnm@the-i.net

sendinghome
02-19-03, 06:57 PM
I was a platoon commander in C 1/9 in 73 -- we still heard tales of how they earned their name -- made us feel special

Norton1
02-20-03, 03:23 PM
But "D" Co was the hard luck outfit. Those poor Marines. They called themselves "Deadly delta" but we called them "Dyin' Delta." Every time they turned around they were getting into trouble.

I don't remember the time but it was 66 I think. They were in an area, An Hoa River Basin, that was just loaded with mines and boobytraps. It was where the VC trained their recruits in how to set them. The company had taken some casualties and it was decided that an Amtrac would lead the guys back to the rear area. Every Marine was told to walk in the safe area made by the Amtrac's trac. Didn't make it 100 yards and "BOOM" - one of hte Marines was tired and stepped one step out of the track and hit a small mine. Destroyed his foot.

They were also hurt pretty bad in 65 in an assault on Monkey Mountain. They were assaulting the place at night and were receiving covering fire from the mortar section. The plan was for the unit to move up just behind the fire. Theoretically the mortars would kill or keep the VC down and allow the company to move up with a minimum of casualties.

I was on Net Control with Comm Platoon that night and we could see the line of fire as the Marines moved up the mountain. Mortars was firing some Willy Pete so we could track them pretty well. Then we got a call from the Company that they were taking fire. I'm not exactly sure what occurred then - I think that the Company decided to move up a bit faster and walked into their own covering fire. Mortars was trying to move their fire further up the mountain and the Company was moving faster - they had walked into their own fire. We finally got a "check fire" out and from there I don't remember.

Bad deal - but sometimes that stuff happens I guess.

I know another Marine that was with 1/9 in 72 I think - if you want I'll send him over to link up with you sendinghome.

Mohala
03-14-07, 01:40 PM
I was looking up some details on the 1/9 and this popped up in my google search. I realize that the subject matter on the thread is old but I was wondering if those that served with the 1/9 before deactivation... realize the 1/9 has been reactivated.

Information below -

Deactivation of the 1/9 was on September 9, 1994 and re-designated to the 2<SUP>nd</SUP> Battalion 1<SUP>st</SUP> Marines.

The battalion remained inactive from 1994 through 2004.

The 1st Battalion 9th Marines was reactived in October 2005. In April 2006, after only a 30 day work-up cycle, Alpha Company deployed in support of Operation Iraqi Freedom and completed a successful six month deployment to Forward Operating Base Grizzly in Camp Ashraf, Iraq. During this time the company conducted security and stabilization operations north of Al Khalis in the Diyala Governorate, working jointly with Military Police, Cavalry and Field Artillery units from the Army National Guard. Alpha company returned in October of 2006 without the loss of any Marines.

The official reactivation of the 1/9 will take place on April 18, 2007 at Camp Lejeune, North Carolina.

SkilletsUSMC
03-14-07, 02:04 PM
So what division will 1/9 now fall under? 3rdMARDIV?

marinemom
03-14-07, 02:26 PM
www.thewalkingdead.org

The above address is the official website for the 9th Marines - and is dedicated to the Marines and Corpmen who fought in that unit - it is comprehensive and concise in its information.

The unit is special - the men were special - and the Corps remembers and respects it. My husband was 1/9 in Nam - he had many stories and info that is on that site now.

Mohala
03-14-07, 02:28 PM
The division of the 1/9 is the 2<SUP>nd</SUP> Marine Division.

killerinstinct
03-14-07, 02:47 PM
i like this quote the best

I now know why men who have been to war yearn to reunite. Not to tell stories or look at old pictures. Not to laugh or weep. Comrades gather because they long to be with the men who once acted their best, men who suffered and sacrificed, who were stripped raw, right down to their humanity. I did not pick these men. They were delivered by fate and the U.S. Marine Corps. But I know them in a way I know no other men. I have never given anyone such trust. They were willing to guard something more precious than my life. They would have carried my reputation, the memory of me. It was part of the bargain we all made, the reason we were so willing to die for one another.

I cannot say where we are headed. Ours are not perfect friendships; those are the province of legend and myth.

A few of my comrades drift far from me now, sending back only occasional word. I know that one day even these could fall to silence. Some of the men will stay close, a couple, perhaps, always at hand.

As long as I have memory, I will think of them all, every day. I am sure that when I leave this world, my last thought will be of my family and my comrades.....such good men.

from "These Good Men" by Michael Norman

hmckinley
03-14-07, 03:18 PM
www.thewalkingdead.org

The above address is the official website for the 9th Marines - and is dedicated to the Marines and Corpmen who fought in that unit - it is comprehensive and concise in its information.

The unit is special - the men were special - and the Corps remembers and respects it. My husband was 1/9 in Nam - he had many stories and info that is on that site now.

Go to my post in Marines only in country, Anyone still out there
Posted was an account that I don't even like to remember, never mind trying to put it in words again. Post #12 then the following post by Exnitro on post #l3.